Howitzer

Captchee

.So this is my latest piece .
I delivered it yesterday and we ran 4lbs of powder through it before I left .
Still waiting for friction fuses so we fired her with timed fuse . Ill post the video as soon as photo bucket gets around to loading it ??!!!
This is a full scale 12 lb Mountain howitzer .

20160619_130101_zpsownotysk.jpeg

20160619_130032_zpskyki2t5p.jpeg

Man that is COOL!!!

You delivered it? Did you make it??? If so that really rocks!!

How much does something like that cost anyway?

Now, if "The Thing That Stalks The Fields" (popular creepypasta story monster) ever pay a visit to your place, it may finally realize that it has met it's match :D

Just in time......

for the Fourth of July ! Might pull that baby behind the antique tractor in the big parade.

For those of us with inadequate cannoneer knowledge.....you might want to explain some of the accessories and their purpose/function. It looks like the ramrod/swab is tucked along the left side ( a little hard to see fine details in the shade).

What do the chains do?

Is a friction fuse set off with a lanyard?

Did you make the wheels, or are they repurposed?

The covered cylinder on the right side?

Wow, something that big I guess you almost have to carry OWB.

RIDING LAWN MOWER FOR THE WIN!!!:D Strap that thing to the back of the mower with a wagon, or, replace those wheels with rubber-tired ones, so it would be street-legal:)

Ok so this piece is a full size , 12lb ,1841 Mountain howitzer on a 2nd model carriage
Looking at the first picture you see on the lefts side the worm and mop. Think of the mop as a swab for wiping the bore both to reduce fouling and get rid of hot embers . The worm is used for pulling loads and for cleaning out the improved breech ‘
. On the right side is the rammer and another mop. Which would be used to grease and or swab the bore . Rammer is used to set the load just like a ram rod would be .
These are hanging from belts because out west the mountain howitzers were most often taken apart and carried on pack mules then set back up when they were deployed . So no chains would be on the carriage. Or large implement hooks for the rammers
However the customer wanted the chains that would be on a towed piece ..
One a towed piece the cannon would be hooked to an Limber . “ think small two wheel ammunition cart “ that cart would then be hooked to a team of horses . Thus the chains are the stay chains that are hooked to the limber when towed .

Yes the friction fuse is set off by a lanyard . The owner was to have those ordered . But they had not came in last weekend so we fired with a timed fuse

I did not make the wheels , they are original wheels from a prairie carriage. We purchased the wheels and barrel . I made the rest of the Iron work and the main carriage an axel

The covered cylinder on the right side is what we use for whats called a tampon . IE it plugs the bore so nothing gets into the bore either while towed , displayed or stored . An original would have been made from wood . In this case we had to make a last minute one from foam and wrap it with tape so that we could transport the cannon .
People and police don’t like it much when they follow you and the bore is aimed at their front windshield. Its rather odd thing to see . First they are like COOOLLL look at that . Then they start to slow down or pass LMAO so we made a tampon for it
However it doesn’t exist anymore as we also used it as a wad for firing blank rounds LMAO

Back