Howa 308 rifles

There is a lot to like about them. But for my uses they are simply too heavy. I own 3 different rifles in 308. Ready to hunt including optics they weigh from 5 lbs 15oz up to 7.5 lbs. There is simply no reason to lug around a 308 any heavier than about 8 lbs including optics.

I have to laugh on the weight. I hunted with an M77, had to be 8lbs or a bit better bare, add scope, rings and ammo and 9.5 easy.

Packed in the wilds of Alaska, not the flatland US!

I see the gun as a poor mans traditional wood and steel bolt action rifle. not near a 70 or 700 in price but not near as "modern manufactured" as my rar or sav axis.
......they shoot well too. bob

RC20 said:
I hunted with an M77, had to be 8lbs or a bit better bare, add scope, rings and ammo and 9.5 easy.

Packed in the wilds of Alaska, not the flatland US!

I have hunted with similar rifles in the mountians of Colorado back before affordable options for light weight rifles were available. I now have a choice, and I'll chose lighter weight every time, if it shoots as God as a heavier rifle. A heaviheavier rifle isn't going to stop me from hunting. I do have to ask, would you have chosen your Ruger over a 6 lbs rifle that shot equally as well for hunting the wilds of AK?

Back