Howa 308 rifles

Dano4734

What is your feeling on these rifles. I really don't need another hunting rifle but this 308 looks nice. I don't have a 308 and the price is right for sure. Anyone own one in 308 cal

I didn't own one in 308. But I did have one in 270 win. As far as a good all around rifle, you can't ask for much more. And if I remember correctly, Howa manufactures the Weatherby Vanguard barrels and possibly the actions. Or at one point did. Whether or not that gives you a fuzzy feeling inside depends on you but I've owned both and both were good rifles. For the price and the hogue over mold stock, I'd buy another Howa in a heartbeat. I gave it to a buddy of mine for his kid to take hunting. He fell in love with it and I had several more hunting rifles at the time so it stayed with him. I may get it back some day but I won't cross my fingers.

I have a heavy barrel Howa, I consider it an outstanding value. It's built like a tank, with all sorts of design features that appeal to me and it's very accurate with my handloads. I would highly recommend a Howa in just about any caliber.

The only downside, IMO, is the Hogue stock. It's adequite but not exactly my cup of tea.

And if I remember correctly, Howa manufactures the Weatherby Vanguard barrels and possibly the actions. Or at one point did.

Howa makes the Vanguard rifle and it's the same as the Howa 1500 except for a few cosmetic changes. Howa also made Weatherby Mark V rifles when they were made in Japan.

I recommend the Howa as the best push feed rifle on the market for the money. It's all the Remington 700 is on the good side, with none of the bad points. It's a VERY good rifle. Triggers are fine, safety's are fine, bolt handles never come off (they are forged, one piece with the bolt body )and extractors are far better then the 700. Metallurgy is outstanding. Howa provides a written "MOA or less" accuracy guarantee. My experience is that they don't have to worry much about replacements or re-barreling. They are very accurate as a rule.

I like the Winchester M70 C.R.F. and Ruger M77 Mk2 as my 1st picks, as well as my custom builds on Mausers and CZ 550s, but for a push feed action, the Howa is probably the best one going.

If I had any criticisms of them I'd ask them to stop painting HOWA on the floor plates, and I'd tell them they are missing a large piece of the market in not making a Left Hand action. We gunsmiths would also think them if they stopped torquing their barrels in so tight. There is no reason to put 1,300 Foot pounds on a barrel. But for the consumer, that won't matter.

Last edited:
"...Howa 308 rifles..." Which one? Howa chambers all their rifles in .308.
A Weatherby Vanguard and a Howa M1500 are the same thing. Mind you, pretty much all Howa rifles are 1500's.

Anyone see if a Boyds stock can be had for the Howa?

I have a couple in Savage and they have been outstanding for fit.

Very miner clean up at the rear tang and that was it.

They sit in the stock so evenly I never considered asking my brother (he does good work on bedding) to do those two (he did an EABS that was a mess)

Boyds does have Howa stocks and awhile back Howa had a few special models that came with Boyde laminated stocks. My Hows .223 is one of those...

Tony

I put mine in a Bell & Carlson Medalist. They're available in several styles, including a Weatherby style for the Vanguards. Be aware though, you may have to do some work to fit the rifle to it.

Mine dropped in but, without the guard screws, would slide back and forth about an 1/8 inch. I also was not able to use the factory guard screws that held the original Hogue stock. Finally, I noticed the hole for the rear guard screw was out of alignment. It must have been a bad day for a B&C employee, I had to spend a few hours correcting those problems. Now, however, everything is fine, I love the looks and ergonomics of the stock and my rifle shoots very well.

I will point out, that while the Howa is a nice gun , there are various Cabella only Savage offerings that are close to it at some great prices with the rebate.

12FV at $319 and the 10T (or current version) - have not looked at the price lately

The m1500 is on my list for sure..I definitely don't need anymore bolt guns but I'll definitely have one some time

I did not know they make the barrel for weatherby, I have a weatherby vanguard 3006 and it is awesome.. You just sold me oh yeah

The Howa and Vanguard are built on the same actions and all parts are interchangable. But there are many other differences. While close, they are not quite the same rifle. They have changed over the years, but at various times the safety was different, as were barrels and the stocks have always been different. Weatherby used to cut flutes in the bolt while Howa did not. At times the Howa was a little less expensive, at times the Vanguard was less expensive. FWIW I always preferred the features on the Howa better.

There is a lot to like about them. But for my uses they are simply too heavy. I own 3 different rifles in 308. Ready to hunt including optics they weigh from 5 lbs 15oz up to 7.5 lbs. There is simply no reason to lug around a 308 any heavier than about 8 lbs including optics.

You'd have a hard time keeping a Howa or Vanguard under 9 lbs after adding a scope, add a Boyds laminated stock and you'll have a 10 lb rifle, that's more than most dangerous game big bore magnum rifles weigh. Even with the lightest McMillan stock on my last Howa it was over 8 lbs including optics.

If you want to use it as a heavy target rifle they are a good choice. For a hunting rifle meant to be carried a lot there are better options.

Jmr, what would you suggest, I am 65 and don't need more weight to lug. Can you suggest something else I should look at

I did not know they make the barrel for weatherby

The first Vanguard I purchased was many years ago from Walmart.
I was confused when I saw it in the case because as I understood it, the line was discontinued by Weatherby at least five years before.
I asked if it was old stock and the clerk said no, it was just in.
So I went home and phoned the Weatherby rep out in California.

I explained what I had seen in a local department store and asked what was up. He asked if I had seen the rifle in a Walmart.
He went on to explain that Walmart had contacted Weatherby after they had moved production back to the US from Japan and discontinued the Vanguards.
They expressed their desire to carry their rifles but found selling Mark Vs costing a grand or more, a rather difficult task with their typical customer base.
So Weatherby agreed to bring back their Vanguard line exclusively for Walmart.
Only four standard calibers, .243 and .270 Winchester, 30-06, and 7mm Remington magnum in basic black synthetic stocks.
He told me that they did a limited production run once or twice a year depending on what Walmart ordered.
Barrels were manufactured two inches shorter with a more satin blue finish than the Japanese Mark V, but otherwise they were the same.

That was his explanation in his own words, over the phone to me.
I went back to Walmart and bought one for just over $300, then talked a buddy into doing the same. Great value and neither of us has ever had any regrets.

It was just a few years after that time when I noticed other calibers being offered, even some Weahterby calibers. Just after that they were available most everywhere, not just from WallyWorld, so I guess that Weatherby chose to expand and capitalize on a lucrative endeavor. I'd say that it's paid off for them.

The Howa factory is the same that produced the Japanese Weatherby MarkVs and does still produce the Vanguards.

what would you suggest, I am 65 and don't need more weight to lug. Can you suggest something else I should look at

It all depends on what you want to spend, Ruger American rifles of any flavor are pretty light and usually less than $400. Tikka T3 lite and Savage Light Weight Hunter rifles are in the $600 range. Howa Alpine and Kimber Hunter or Montana will put you in the $700-1100 range. All those rifles should come in well under 8 lbs as long as you pay attention to scope and mount selection.

It all depends on what you want to spend, Ruger American rifles of any flavor are pretty light and usually less than $400. Tikka T3 lite and Savage Light Weight Hunter rifles are in the $600 range. Howa Alpine and Kimber Hunter or Montana will put you in the $700-1100 range. All those rifles should come in well under 8 lbs as long as you pay attention to scope and mount selection.

I just bought a Kimber Hunter in 308. With a Leupold 2-7x-33 VXII and a set of Talley Lightweight mounts it's exactly 6 lbs.

Back