HOWA 270 Win Replacement - Ugh!

USAF Ret

So, bought a HOWA 1500 270 Win last year. Could not get it to group better than 5" with any type of ammo. Sent back to Legacy in January. Just got notified today that they need to replace it. They have no 270 in stock. Okay, I am recoil sensitive, send me an 06 and I can load that down. Nope. Don't have one.

So, I spent $400 on a B&C stock for a long action HOWA. It is bedded. Did it hoping to get it to group. All they have in stock is a 7mm Rem Mag. No idea if or when they will get another 1500 long action back in. Would not even entertain a different rifle, even if I paid the difference, because I did not buy it from them. I am stuck with that or nothing. So, I just said send it. I doubt I can handle it, but all I can do is give it a try.

Not very satisfied with the outcome here.

Yikes!

I think I'd just have waited, or get a full refund.
They would not offer me a refund. I have a 30 cal brake that was made specifically for that rifle. I am also looking at maybe just doing reduced loads with A5744 or H4895. It just makes it a pain. If it is too much, I will trade it for another 270 or something. It will be losing money either way I go. Won't be getting another 1500, though. That's for sure.

"Sad face"

I've only ever loaded 7mm Mag for Elk with 175s or so for my Dads 7mm Mag. But I just got a Ruger #1 in 7mm Mag from my wife's Stepdad as he was gifting his hunting stuff. So I might be experimenting with some bottom end of the power scale 7mm Mag loads with 150s and 160s this summer.

When you say "recoil sensitive", do you mean you have an injury that makes it painful, or you just don't like it? Can't do much about an injury, but there are things you can do to lessen the "psych" factor. Assuming your stock fits well and you have good form, there are a number of recoil pads available. My "sissy pad" is a fairly thin gel pad that fits into a pocket on my Browning shooting shirt. Very helpful, especially with "classic" crescent stocks (the old guys must have been masochists). You can start with light loads. They sell some pretty light bullets for the 7 Mag. You can get a "Lead Sled".

I believe a motivated individual can learn to shoot just about anything. But it's not about "learning to take it", it's about form, equipment, and training. Don't get beat up, work it.

When you say "recoil sensitive", do you mean you have an injury that makes it painful, or you just don't like it? Can't do much about an injury, but there are things you can do to lessen the "psych" factor. Assuming your stock fits well and you have good form, there are a number of recoil pads available. My "sissy pad" is a fairly thin gel pad that fits into a pocket on my Browning shooting shirt. Very helpful, especially with "classic" crescent stocks (the old guys must have been masochists). You can start with light loads. They sell some pretty light bullets for the 7 Mag. You can get a "Lead Sled".

I believe a motivated individual can learn to shoot just about anything. But it's not about "learning to take it", it's about form, equipment, and training. Don't get beat up, work it.
Injury from my time in the military. 90% disabled for my shoulders and other various injuries.

Well, ended up with a win. They have a long action 6.5 PRC in stock. So I can use my bedded B&C and that caliber is popular and ammo is plentiful. Says recoil is between 270 and 30-06 and I have a brake. So, I am good to go.

That really sucks--6.5 PRC is plentiful--and generally much more expensive than 270 win. I might have considered a play to see if you could get a prefit from someone else and see if they would be willing to contribute. Howa barrels t'aint anything special IMO. McGowan for instance makes prefits for the Howa and make their own custom barrel nut for it. The only catch is getting the existing barrel off. Everyone on every forum I've talked to says it's easy peasy--though I've never succeeded at it.

Well, I guess USAF vet won't need this. Anyway it's here for anyone who might need it.
Paul B.

STAIRSTEP LOADING THE MAGNUMS
From HANDLOADER MAGAZINE #44 July-August 1973---Article by John Wooters

.300 Win. Mag.
Bullet Weight: 30-06 .308 WCF 30-40 Krag 30-30
150 gr. 62.5 gr./4895 60.0 gr./4895 56.0 gr./4064 45.0 gr./4064

180 gr. 57.0 gr./3031 55.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4895

7MM Rem. Mag.
Bullet Weight: .280 Rem./ .284 WCF/7MM Express 7x57 Mauser
140 gr. 57.0 gr./4320 54.0 gr./4895

160 gr. 52.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4895

175 gr. 51.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4320

.358 Norma Magnum
Bullet Weight: .350 Rem. mag./.35 Whelen .358 Win.
200 gr. 59.0 gr./4064 53.0/3031

250 gr. 56.0 gr./4895 54.0 gr./3031

.458 Win. Mag.
Bullet Weight: 45/70
400 gr. 42.0 gr./4198

Well, I guess USAF vet won't need this. Anyway it's here for anyone who might need it.
Paul B.

STAIRSTEP LOADING THE MAGNUMS
From HANDLOADER MAGAZINE #44 July-August 1973---Article by John Wooters

.300 Win. Mag.
Bullet Weight: 30-06 .308 WCF 30-40 Krag 30-30
150 gr. 62.5 gr./4895 60.0 gr./4895 56.0 gr./4064 45.0 gr./4064

180 gr. 57.0 gr./3031 55.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4895

7MM Rem. Mag.
Bullet Weight: .280 Rem./ .284 WCF/7MM Express 7x57 Mauser
140 gr. 57.0 gr./4320 54.0 gr./4895

160 gr. 52.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4895

175 gr. 51.0 gr./4064 50.0 gr./4320

.358 Norma Magnum
Bullet Weight: .350 Rem. mag./.35 Whelen .358 Win.
200 gr. 59.0 gr./4064 53.0/3031

250 gr. 56.0 gr./4895 54.0 gr./3031

.458 Win. Mag.
Bullet Weight: 45/70
400 gr. 42.0 gr./4198
The information is appreciated!

That really sucks--6.5 PRC is plentiful--and generally much more expensive than 270 win. I might have considered a play to see if you could get a prefit from someone else and see if they would be willing to contribute. Howa barrels t'aint anything special IMO. McGowan for instance makes prefits for the Howa and make their own custom barrel nut for it. The only catch is getting the existing barrel off. Everyone on every forum I've talked to says it's easy peasy--though I've never succeeded at it.
I can always switch the barrel out later. I am just hoping it is a shooter. Norma ammo is pretty inexpensive and it usually shoots MOA or better out of all of my rifles. Well, except the HOWA 270.

I'm hoping Legacy will take care of me on my .17 WMR. This doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I know you don't tolerate recoil well, and while the 7mm RM isn't a whole lot worse than .270 and .30-06 if you stick to factory performance handloads.

6.5 PRC in a long action should be a little more flexible for the reloader, as long as you have a little more room in the magazine. Run some monolithic light bullets and you should keep the recoil way down.

Changing the barrel won't fix much. You'll have to change the bolt face and the magazine as well to get away from a magnum cartridge. It'll be cheaper to sell and buy what you want.

I'm hoping Legacy will take care of me on my .17 WMR. This doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I know you don't tolerate recoil well, and while the 7mm RM isn't a whole lot worse than .270 and .30-06 if you stick to factory performance handloads.

6.5 PRC in a long action should be a little more flexible for the reloader, as long as you have a little more room in the magazine. Run some monolithic light bullets and you should keep the recoil way down.

Changing the barrel won't fix much. You'll have to change the bolt face and the magazine as well to get away from a magnum cartridge. It'll be cheaper to sell and buy what you want.
Thanks Chad. I have some Nosler 120 ETs I think will be perfect. I can load those down.

Even with 270 and 308, I run a brake and it makes it shootable. I can't handle much more than that. I really did not want to get into belted magums either. So, I think this is probably a good middle ground. Especially since it seems to be more popular now.

If you send anything to Legacy, be ready to just forget about it for a while.

Decided I don't want or need another caliber. I will be selling the 6.5 PRC and the custome B&C bedded stock I had made.

I have a Tikke 270 Win T3X Lite in layaway. Got a good deal on an Oryx chassis brand new. This will be what it looks like when I am done. Got tired of farting around with it. Should be about a 9-10 lb rifle to soak up recoil.

attachment.php

Attachments

• o_1gdg1mam515d5108589qvinrrjk.jpg
    o_1gdg1mam515d5108589qvinrrjk.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 275
Well, the rifle replacement saga continued this week. I have not heard anything in over a month. I called and Legacy said they had e-mailed me twice for my FFL, which was already provided. The e-mail address they used was missing a character, so I never received them. Sent the rifle to them in January, so it has been over 6 months.
I was told they no longer had any 6.5 PRCs in stock and they would be "checking into it." I e-mailed the VP again along with customer service. I got a call back about 30 min later and they are sending me a 6.5 PRC carbon barrel 1500 as a replacement. They sent me the ticket showing the VP got involved. This could have been an option from the beginning to make sure customers are taken care of without having to complain to management.
Still can't use the stock or the custom muzzle brake I bought as it was for a sporter, but I reckon I am coming out a little better off. I will see if I can sell those to someone else who wants a stock upgrade for a HOWA long action sporter.

Replacement rifle (Got a Tikka T3X Lite in 270 Win) is in the shop getting the muzzle threaded. The Oryx chassis helps reduce recoil, but need a little more with full loads.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Federal 130 grain Power Shok

Last edited:
Back