Howa 1500 in .270

rocketattack

I have a Howa .270. When I shoot it, it sounds like somebody is hitting a hardened piece of metal. It gives off a buwaaang sound. lol I have never heard a rifle make this sound. I have had this rifle since 1995. It was bought new. I have put about 600 rounds through it. Most of the rounds have been Remington rounds bought at Walmart. I don't shoot it throughout the year just around Deer rifle season. Is something seriously wrong with this gun? Do I need to stop shooting it and get another rifle? Deer season is close at hand and if I need another rifle I need to start saving money for new one now.

I have checked all screws before this weekend so I could take it to get scope sighted. Just to be sure the screws are not coming loose could I use a dab of Locktight on the screw threads? It has been doing this for a few years. The sound is coming from the barrel. Could the barrel be bent or worn out? How could I check for straightness? Are Howa rifle barrels quality metal?

I'd check the recoil lug to see if it's engaged fully. Next, I'd put a piece of credit card under the barrel where it meets the forearm. Howa's have a reputation for a lot of accuracy and dependability for the cost.

I think it might be soemthing working loose, not a problem with Howa maufacturing. Although I supose everyone puts out a lemon now and then.

I have two rifles built on the Howa action and a Howa 1500 .223. They are three of the best rifles I have ever had, for the money.

GeauxTide - The barrel is free floating. I thought nothing should touch it? If I'm wrong is this why people 'bed' their rifles? To make it more rock solid? I paid $465 for it.

I've heard that exact same sound... it's horrible and it comes from bi-pod springs. One of the reasons I dislike bi-pods on my rifles. Give us more info... off a concrete bench/bi-pod?

I love the sound of my rifles from good sand bags. No bounce, just "boomthwack!"

-SS-

i have one. i have about 1200 rnds through it. i have a hogue with the full beding block. its accurate and well built. i have not experienced the sound you hear.

Since you're going to sight it in anyway, take the action out of
the stock and see if you have any aluminum pillars or other
aluminum bedding that might be causing the sound.

Does anybody else on the range hear the exact same noise? If so take it down and inspect it. If not, then get yourself a better pair of shooting muffs!:)

No Bi-pods. It does it standing off hand, on a bench off hand, resting on sand bags. I have taken the stock of numerous times through out the years to look for anything that would cause this but I find nothing. Yes, while my friend fires the weapon, my brother and I can hear it.

A scope with weak internal springs can make this noise. It is the sound of the erector cell vibrating. inside the scope tube. Take the scope off and fire a round or two and see if the noise goes away.

Sound

The S&W AR type rifles make that sound. At least the one I had did. Good rifle but I sold it off. I have a Daniels Defense and a FN, neither have the "boing" sound when fired.

Back