How young is too young to hunt?

Hmmmm, a good topic this is. Let me relate my own experience. I am 23 years old now. I got my first .22 rifle when I was six. I shot my first ground squirrel somewhere around that time if not earlier with one of my dad's guns. I took my hunter's safety test when I was 8 and passed. I remember my parents making me stay at home and thoroughly study that test. I waited until I was 12 until I was able to hunt deer.

I think that it largely depends on the individual youth on whether they are capable of handling the responsiblity or not. I think 90% of youth are able to hunt just about anything they want, but the key is that they have direct and immediate adult supervision. I probably could have hit a deer at 10 years old if it was standing broad side 75 yards away with a scope rifle and a good rest.

Should the test monitor pass all kids because they can't read? I think that would be very foolish on the test monitor's part. That proctor would be opening themselves to a very nasty liability that could not only sink themselves, but youth hunting programs in general. Plus, why should the standards be lowered because the youth is not performing in school the way they should be? If a 9 year old can not read your basic hunters safety course, there might be some issues in the family that are concerning. If the parents are not making sure their child is at a proficient reading and writing level, what is going to make them supervise and insure the child is at a proficient hunting and safety level? What good is a uneducated hunter? True, there are many old timers who don't have much education and are excellent hunters. They grew up in desperate times when you worked your butt off in order to survive and you learned things through life expereince. Nothing wrong with that.

We are in a new era. If you can't read or write, you are sunk. If you can't read or write, how are you going to write letters your newspaper or other media outlets to defend the hunting experience that we all enjoy? If you are nearly illiterate, what are your chances of doing the necessary research to go out and make an informed vote? What are you chances of caring to vote at all?

These are the questions I think of when I hear of people suggesting that a proctor cheat and pass youth who are unable to even read a hunters safety course test. I think that is a very poor idea and is not going to help that child at all.

"Congratualtions son, you didn't pass, but we lied and now you can go hunting with me!" "Thanks dad, you are my role model."

Maybe I should have emphasized with my
first post that the state requirement is
for a one hundred question WRITTEN test.
To me, that implies the test taker will have to READ it in order to take it.
Believe me, I would like to see every QUALIFIED person in my state purchase a hunting and fishing license. It might put some strain on the resources, but it would
sure get the attention of the lawmakers and antis. That said, I believe the state has
a right to place qualifications -limitations-
on those who wish to use its resources.
If, as in the case of hunters, that means
being able to read in order to take a written
test, so be it.

Back