How to simulate increased stress level during range practice?

Stand your wife next to you.
Tell her how much you spent on your toys including ammo in the last year.
Begin firing or alternatively, begin running...

That is exactly what I was thinking.:cool:

I could do that, . . . no problem.

Maybe some guys might want to shoot a couple stages, . . . read the wife's credit card report for January, . . . shoot another stage, . . . read about February, . . . shoot another stage.

By the time they are up to September, . . . stress level should be hitting 100%

May God bless,
Dwight

As has been mentioned repeatedly here, one of the biggest challenges is to simulate "fear for your life" or "body-threat-response" in range practice... Well, I think I've just figured out a very neat way to simulate body response to threat during practice. Practice in the cold!

Some of you might be thinking - "Huh!?"

Let me explain what I mean. Under threat-body-response several things happen, including: (1) Vasoconstriction (blood vessels narrow, with more blood accumulating in one's core, and less in one's extremities, to avoid blood loss resulting from injury to one's extremities); and (2) loss of fine motor reflexes. Well, guess what happens in the cold? Blood vessels in one's extremities constrict, allowing more blood to gather in one's core (to save body heat), and one loses fine motor reflexes in one's extremities.

Sounds to me like an excellent simulation of realistic shooting at the range... What do y'all think?

Last edited:
Here's my 2 cents. You need to tax the upper, lower body and cardio.

Exercise 1- Bear crawl 25- 50 yards. (50 yards is the goal).
install the mag and put 3 shots center body mass.

Exercise 2- Same as above but within a time constraint.

Good luck

I forgot one.

Exercise 3- Do 55 burpees

Last edited:
FoF with simmunitions or in a VirTra 300 with a shock belt... Institute a pain penalty for misses or bad hits.

Conduct a training exercise with a buddy and an airsoft pistol. He has a stun gun instead of a knife, and you have to defend before you draw. Work your way up to a certain comfort level then make it an all out deal. At a comfortable level you understand where it comes from and how to react, it's the learning side. Then jump into full speed. This is for close ranges.

At longer ranges, within self defense standards, have the buddy behind you with the stun gun and when you miss get a slight... Well, prod. Let's face it, the real threat in self defense is harm, make that why you train. We are animals, we learn from painful experiences. Start the drill slow, draw and fire. When you miss, get a spark. Next, draw, shoot, move, shoot. Miss, get a spark. Make the drill change every time. It helps if you hear the sound of the threat...

Back