How to shoot with Bi-focals

I can't say I use bifocals (I wear contacts), but reading glasses are occasionally needed. That being said, my eye doc set my contacts up so that my dominant eye (right) is set for 20/20 distance, while my left is set for 20/30, allowing me to read without glasses. My brain does the switch and I don't notice the difference unless I close an eye.

This causes me an issue when shooting, since my dominant eye (right) cannot focus on the front sight (both sights are blurry). So I'm left with 2 options:
1. Shoot right handed using my left eye (which I can)
2. Swap my contacts (left for right) before shooting. Takes a few minutes to get used to but I deal with it.

I guess I'll need to talk to my optometrist on my next visit.

Same problem here. For rifles (e.g. an AR), one answer: a red dot. Problem solved. For handguns, don't worry about it. In the heart-attack, split-second tension of a self defense shooting at handgun range, the sights will be the farthest thing from your mind.

I can't say I use bifocals (I wear contacts), but reading glasses are occasionally needed. That being said, my eye doc set my contacts up so that my dominant eye (right) is set for 20/20 distance, while my left is set for 20/30, allowing me to read without glasses. My brain does the switch and I don't notice the difference unless I close an eye

I wore contacts until I needed bifocals and my eye doc tried the same thing with my contacts. Apparently, my mind didn't adjust and I could not wear them. That is when I started wearing no-line bifocals and I don't even notice that they are bifocals at all.

I tried the idea of two different contacts, too, without success. My doctor pointed out that one eye was in focus all the time, and I retorted that one eye was also out of focus all the time. I couldn't stand it and went to transitional bifocals with ease and comfort. I am sure it works for some, but not for all.

Back