How to send a copy of my C&R app to CLEO

I did a brief cover letter, and threw it in the mail: This is what I used (lifted from someone else, on Calguns, I think)

(Date)

(Your Name)
(Your Address)
(Your Phone Number)

(CLEO's Name)
(CLEO's Mailing Address)

Dear Chief (CLEO's last name):

Enclosed please find, as per federal regulation, a copy of my ATF Form 7CR. You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above.

Sincerely,

(Your Signature)

(Your Name)

Stick it in an envelope with the form, addressed to the CLEO and drop it in the mail.

I stopped by the office and handed it over in person. I had to wait a few days until I knew there was someone there (small town, one cop on duty...cruiser outside the station means there's someone there), but I'm glad I did it that way. My half of the form is in the mail now too, so all that's left to do is wait as fast as I can.

I used that same copy of the letter above and dropped it in the mail. Never heard a peep out of the local Sheriff and recieved my C&R license about 6 weeks later or something.

I didn't know the address for our sheriff, so I called their office and they gave it to me. I mailed them a copy, and as far as I'm concerned, I don't worry if they got it or not. I imagine that the MOST that some poor clerk at the office had to do was make a file with my name on it and put the copy in it. Renewed a couple times so far and do the same drill. Have never heard anything back from them, so all must be well.

Our local CLEO here in northern AZ finds them to be a nuisance and disposes of them immediately. As long as you send it, you have fulfilled ATF requirements.

Got it yesterday. It was just a single piece of paper. I was under the impression it was going to come with a bound book, and a list of C&R eligible firearms.
Am I ok without the book, until I buy a C&R firearm? Or do I need to have a bound book that says I presently have no guns?

Yep, Just a piece of paper. Probably very similar to my FFL license.

Many companies sell the 'bound books'. I bought mine from Brownells.com

Make sure you read the GCA rules related to C&R, which can be downloaded from atf.gov

Have fun collecting...

BeerSleeper,

You should shortly receive a package containing several publications pertinent to the license. It is your responsibility to get a "bound book"; the government does not furnish it to you. You do not need the book until you have a firearm to enter into it.

You don't have to buy a bound book. You can print out your own sheets and stick them in a three ring binder. HERE is one guy's version. As long as they are sequentually numbered and have all of the required information, you are good to go.

You should shortly receive a package containing several publications pertinent to the license. It is your responsibility to get a "bound book"; the government does not furnish it to you. You do not need the book until you have a firearm to enter into it.
With my last renewal I got a CD with all the State Laws and Published Ordinances on it.

Back