How to safely and legally sell (legally) unregistered guns?

Excellent tip, Freakshow. Here's what we're doing today: friends are purchasing certain ones for lowball (but not giveaway) prices, and Mom is taking the rest to a consignment shop on Tuesday. What she is selling to the friends she is fairly informed about, and she is honoring Dad in that he would rather our friend have the gun for a deal (not a steal, a deal) than just have the money.

I told Mom what you said about the Remington, and she solidly said that one will go to consignment. (We've already had one of my sister's friends say he had a friend who'd buy them all--I warned her, repeatedly, that was a bad idea...still not sure if that sunk in.) The issue we've been having today was Mom is confused about what she wanted to do (despite what she told me earlier), but now she seems to have a clearer picture. It's hard because I know what *I* want to do, but I have to honor her wishes while still trying to look out for her--hard to do!

Good thing our friend was with us--a few of the rifles were loaded. :eek:

Upload the pics to a Photobucket album and post a link to that ;)

And see if the WW2 British gun looks like a .303 lee Enfeild

The two Ruger single-action six-shooters, in .22 and .45 caliber, might be worthwhile keepsakes should you and your husband be inclined.

The single action revolver is a link to a earlier time, when self-reliant folks provided their own personal security instead of outsourcing it.

The two you list are in useful calibers - .22 is inexpensive, low recoil, excellent for developing marksmanship skills. One can purchase .45 Colt ammunition especially loaded for "Cowboy Action Shooting" to modest pressures and velocities (or one could load such ammunition if one were equipped to do so) - for low recoil. The Vaquero is a strong revolver, capable of handling any factory load in .45 Colt, making it a serious defensive weapon should the need arise.

If life ever throws you a curve ball, you and your husband might find that modest, basic skill at arms is substantially preferable to none at all.

These are a link to your father. Once they are gone, they are gone.

...and, completely off-topic, you may be amused to know that one of my cats used to be named Ruffian - on account of her thick, luxuriant ruff (what would be a mane, on a lion), and because she is feisty. Her name now is Tactical - she is all black, long-haired, and one day I found her curled up with my CAR-15 carbine (matte black, like her). And if you go to buy a pair of boots, a belt, a flashlight, holster, or whatever - if it is matte black it is marked "Tactical" and costs more.

If you keep the revolvers, you will need need to provide safe storage and find a range at which to go shoot, and probably get some basic instruction - but it could be fun and valuable. Just sayin'

In California you are REQUIRED to go through a Federal Firearms License holder to sell your firearm.

I believe if your going to keep any this is the form you will need to fill out:

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

If you do have any rifles that fall under the "assult rifle" status, you wont be able to register or sell that firearm unless its to an FFL holder which he will either buy the firearm off of you, or sell it to an out of state party for you.

I really don't like contacting the CA DOJ about such things, they treat you like a criminal.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
Pietro, I stand corrected by our friend who's buying some of the guns--he's buying them via a friend (who I assume is a "FFL" as you described) who will be doing the paperwork/registration/whatever official. I have read my mom several posts from this thread to make sure she remains informed, both on gun values and legalities.

The form you linked appeared only to be for handguns--am I correct? If we inherit in old .22 that really isn't worth much (just was Dad's first gun, so it has that sentimental value), does that form need to be submitted to the DOJ? It's the only gun we're interested in, mainly because Dad wanted my husband to have it.

I appreciate those of you who have PMed me offers for certain guns, but Mom wants this simple as possible, and wants to get all of the guns out of the house ASAP--and the easiest thing for her is to take them to a reputable gun shop on consignment. It looks like that's what she'll be doing later on this week.

How does that work, BTW? Does a 70yro widow just show up w/a trunk load of unloaded guns?? (The place we're going to is closed Sun/Mon, so I cannot call and ask--though I will as soon as they open later this week.) What should she expect when she gets there--what is reasonable? I assume it's a paperwork-o-rama.

On behalf of us that Pm'ed you, All that needs done is us to send a post office issued money order, gun is placed in a UPS (not usps) box and sent.

As for my offers, I will add 20 bucks to cover the shipping to my FFL... Flat rate box doen't need one gun per. I am not real up on this as I said, I am not a routine buyer. Your friend could likely help or a gun shop will...
My FFL charges 25 per gun (I asked already) to transfer to me.
Thanks again.
Brent

Ruffian: My only advice to you is to KEEP the Colt Official Police handgun in the family. That is a FINE handgun that you should not sell IMHO.

Without reading all the posts, you should SERIOUSLY think about keeping that handgun IMHO. It is a gem of a handgun that is no longer made. I'd bet your father would agree with me.

ETA: Call the gunshop(s) in advance and ask them what the procedures are. In Michigan, yes, you would just bring in the unloaded firearms for consignment sale once the FFL looks at them. We are FAR more gun friendly in Michigan but I don't see why it would be any different in California for this type of transaction. Afterall, you are going to go through a FFL, as required in California, and he/she will let you know the in's and out's of your situation. I think you'll find out it is not as big a deal as you're thinking right now.

Last edited:
This is the WW2-era British gun:
Dads%20guns%20+%20Jett%20and%20Seymour%20016_1_1.JPG

BTW, through family and family friends, the Winchester model 90 and Mossberg are spoken for...plus four of the handguns. Which four? Um...yeah, I don't remember. Der.

BTW, through family and family friends, the Winchester model 90 and Mossberg are spoken for...plus four of the handguns. Which four? Um...yeah, I don't remember. Der.

GOOD!! I bet the Colt is one of those four. Whew, I thought you were going to let that one get out of the family/friends!!

Another update

Okay, I called a recommended gun shop and got their advice. Rather than bring all the guns in, they said to bring in a list of guns and they'll research values. *We* set the price that the dealer will sell them for, and he'll take 20%. What I need to do is figure out what the four handguns are that were already moved, and then figure out exactly what some of these question mark pieces are.

HUGE thanks Freakshow for identifying that Lee Enfield--that's precisely what I need to do before I bring the guns in.

BTW, Rdak, if the Colt is not one of the guns that was moved, I have said we'll take it. I need to show a picture of that one, too, to make sure that's what you're talking about. IIRC, the gun doesn't really say much on it beyond what I typed in the list.

KBI 380 unable to locate serial #
Russian handgun 1j70-17A BHC 4812 “Made in Russia by Imez” serial #

KBI is the company that imported the pistol. In this case, it is likely an FEG manufactured .380 pistol from Hungary.

The Russian handgun is a Makarov manufactured by Izhvesk (Baikal). The -17A marking means it should be chambered in .380ACP (though you may want to check that) and that it has a single stack magazine instead of a higher capacity double stack magazine. Prices seem to run about $250-300 depending on condition.

Just thought I'd update you all...

...my mother and husband dropped off all of the guns at a recommended consignment shop yesterday, and a friend of ours bought and picked up the gun safe. Mom is very relieved to have them all out of the house, and very grateful--she said it never would have occurred to her o have done it this way.

I was surprised at some of the prices; the Remington XB target rifle he's only listing at $350, but there are a hundred and one different reasons why that may have been. Still, some of the other prices were nicer than I anticipated, so it evened out. The dealer also took all of the unopened ammo, some holsters, and various other accessories. Mom is pleasantly stunned; she's looking at about $3000+ incoming to her after the dealer takes his 20%. It really is a nice outcome--she's not going to get the best prices, but she's going to get a fair one...AND they're all out of the house.

Thank all of you, again, for your guidance. This really was a large task, and I feel it was done well. I would not have had much clue what to do without you! Thank you from all of us!

Back