How to practice with less ammo?

I have a couple pellet rifles I enjoy shooting too. A .22 and .177 cal 1100 and 1200 fps. I also stocked up on pellets before they become scarce as well.

Reload. Component costs are up, that just means I'll probably never make 9mm for $65/1K anymore. It's way cheaper than buying at walmart.

Shoot actual drills with a designated amount of ammo. Certain # of rounds two-hands, strong hand, weak hand, mix up some distances and you're done. Most people I see at the range blast away at the same target at the same distance in the same stance, over and over.

With the ammo and component shortages, how is it possible to still train and practice?

g.willikers,

I stretch out my ammo budget by these methods:

1. I have die cast aluminum guns (they are used to make holsters) for my two main carry guns (Glock sub-compact and J frame S&W.) I used these guns for practicing drawing, left or right hand, at home without fear of a AD/ND. I get to practice all kinds of pivots, left handed draws, retention draws, etc...

2. I have an air-soft Glock subcompact I converted to a laser gun. It fits my holsters and allows me at home to practice hip shooting in low light. I use lamp shades as silhouettes and the laser beam hits right where the sights shoot. I hope one day to have a Crimsom Trace laser grip on a dummy J frame .38 for just that purpose.

3. I have .22 understudies for my Glock sub-compact (I use the AACK unit) and a 2 inch J frame 63 .22 lr. that matches my snub .38s and .357s.

4. I RELOAD! Yes reload 9mm and .38 special and I have lots of brass, slugs, primers, power, etc...

And then when I practice I have routines I use to stretch out the shooting. I many times put one round in the magazine and draw, fire one shot, then reload with spare magazine that also has one shot. Do this several times to practice speed reloading.

I always shot from the leather for the first shot of any string. I practice transitions by using the .22s first before going to centerfire rounds. Same for double taps.

Plus I do lots lots more!

Deaf

Slow down.
Make every shot count.
I never did understand why people will stand there and pull the trigger as fast as they can, and reload, and repeat.
Their goal is quantity. Mine is quality.
dc

In general, I agree with the advice to slow down, most people have no idea what they are doing when shooting fast. Unfortunately, I learned to shoot well fast by shooting fast. You just can't simulate the sight tracking and muscle development with airsoft or sub-calibers. And I say this having shot a 22 conversion almost exclusively for 3 years when I couldn't afford much else.

I used to do bill drills and full mag dumps late in my practice,ate up a ton of cheap ammo. I always re-calibrated myself after that, last rounds of the night were always 25yd slowfire.

Highly Recommended/LaserLyte Targets & Cartridge

Got my LaserLyte Trainer Targets and 9mm Laser Cartridge yesterday.

Dropped it into a 5906 and went to town. Talk about practicing trigger control. Every shot is a long full 1st shot type double-action. The gun is heavy enough to simulate a fully loaded Glock or other tupperware.

The Laser Cartridge was perfectly aligned for the distance I was working with (7 to 10 yards). The Trainer Targets get to be old in the same position so one has to move them around the room. The Reaction Time mode was a challenge. Overall, I'd rate this product a 9.5. My only recommendation for improvement would be to have the shots tracked the way a real target would show the bullet holes. However, the targets are small enough that a miss is a miss and a hit will be a part of a 3 inch group.

In these days of 30 to 50 cents per round for 9mm, it pays for itself fairly quickly even if one only shoots a few hundred rounds a month. Total cost was right around $200 for the set-up. Up until a couple of years ago, I used to shoot about 300 rounds per range session, and I went to the range at least once if not twice a week. For me, the set-up would have paid for itself in a 3 range visits or 2 weeks.

Back