How to make steel targets

That's it but I was thinking something that could withstand pistol fire on the arms/plate connection. Everything made out of metal. Not sure those clips could hold up metal plates?

Ok, I work with steel all day long, that doesn't mean I have the right stuff to make targets out of. I see lots of creative sources for steel. Not steel suitable for shooting mind you. See the pics in HPS' post. That is unsafe steel. If it has dimples or the face is cupped it will be returning bullet parts uprange. The target in medicgeek's post look great, the mounting method is a little ??? but to each his own. I USPSA or steel challenge we shoot flat steel all day at ranges down to 10 yards. A flat piece of steel hit dead on will drop most of a bullet very close to a target. No chance I would shoot at hps targets at 10 yards.

Made this duelling tree out of scrap iron. Especially fun w/two shooters; start w/2 paddles on each side and try to get them all on one side. Just bring Lots of ammo!

Side view showing hinge construction:

Looking down on hinges:

Regards,
hps

AR500

I make these on the side from my day to day job. Id love to hear anyones opinions and experiences with what they have seen that works and doesnt work for them.

http://www.redstitchtactical.com/Red_Stitch_AR500_Steel_Targets.html

48254049.jpg

Don't so cheap on the steel. Navy Joe advised you correctly. Your target need to stay FLAT and not dent or cup to prevent lead coming right back at you. Good steel choices of 9mm and .40 cal would be AR-400, AR-500 and TIA. Mounting is also very important. I do not weld targets to chain as they break. I drill the targets on each side, use hardened bolts with square washers and attach the 3/8" chain to the back side. This allows the target face to hang with the bottom slanted towards the back, directing hits into the ground. I hang the steel off fence tee-post that have hooks bolted onto them. The swingers are free to move and adsorb the bullet impact. I cut targets in many shapes - animals, round, square & triangles. My set has been shot at a bunch and shows very little use after 20 years. Best of luck, Dan

Andyaux - Here is a site you can look at some targets, stands and different steel. May be better than making your own. ( arntzentargets.com ) Best of luck, Dan

Any
body know how a Texas spinning star holds the plates until they are shot? Looking at making one but can't find anything about how they are held in place.

I wanna say rare earth magnets; cheep and durable

STP38MP 3/8 inch Multi-Pack of AR500 Steel Targets $249.00 Pre-Paid S/H Thru USPS. Nothing like AR500 steel. It is harden than third grade. We have put together a multi-pack for you that will save $13.00 over individual prices THEN we are paying the shipping charges which saves you another $16.00. You can't beat this deal. You get in this pack : 2 x Silhouetts, 2 x10 inch circles, 2 x 8 inch circles, 2 x 6 inch circles.

STP38SLPK 3/8 Steel Target Plate Silhouette Four Pack $150.00 Pre-Paid Thru USPS.
Here is another of our most popular Multi pack AR500 steel targets. Silhouette Measures 13.25" tall x 7.5" wide. These targets are so tough that drill or punching them is almost impossible. So we made them with holes already in place so you can make swinger targets. DO NOT USE AP bullets unless you want to destroy your target. You will not be disappointed as to how tough these 3/8" thick babies are. Also, swinging targets take up a lot of energy. If you place these target against a solid background without swing, it may shorten the life of your target. BUY THESE BEFORE THE PRICE GOES UP. AR500 STEEL IS IN SUPER SHORT SUPPLY RIGHT NOW. WITH PRICE INCREASE COMING.

Back