How to legally turn in a valueless, broken pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with the group that would never, ever, add anything to a "gun buyback". I don't want to give them the statistics, I don't want to give them the participation.

Find someone with a cutting torch and reduce it to slag or give it to a gunshop for parts.

And yes, I'll kiss of the $40-100 bucks from a "turn in" deal in order to stick to my principles. (though if you are starving or something I'm not going to look down on you for going for the money).

Fresno, CA is doing one this Saturday. $50/rifle, $100/handgun. $200/"assault weapon". The chief of police is already harping about the program "getting guns off the street" and "bringing the crime rate down". Mayor Ashley Swearengin said, “We will not tolerate gun violence that's going on in our community. We will not tolerate it.” :barf:

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a worn out .38S&W (caliber, not brand) & a Jennings .22 that I'd GLADLY take $100 each for. Sadly, the "Cash For Guns" program doesn't have anything to do with CASH, they are giving Target store gift cards & Target doesn't sell ammo or shooting supplies :(

One of the news write ups that I read mentioned that a similar buy back program in Seattle (maybe it was Sacramento?) blew through $84,000 in the first hour, & they were forced to give out IOU's. The program in Fresno this weekend is said to be funded with "$15,000 worth of private funding". Should last a good 20 minutes then ;)

Last edited:
I have a baby eagle that has never worked right, from the day I bought it. I fantasize about taking the firing pin out and having the slide welded shut so I can use it as a door stop, but it will probably just sit in the darkest corner of my safe for all time.

In Florida, trading a handgun in exempts you from the 3 day waiting period. I've acquired and traded in more than one junk handgun in order to have a trade in at a gunshow.

The FFL may not give you anything as a trade in, but you end up taking your new handgun home with no wait.

When I first read this thread, I said to myelf, "At the point in which this thread turns into a WTB/S/T thread, I'm closing it."

Guess what? ... Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back