How to kill a skunk?

I do this as part of a NWCO business. It's important that I conduct myself in a way that is humane and ethical. Just as important is being perceived as behaving in a humane and ethical way.

CO2 asphyxiation is considered humane by the AVMA so that's what I do. I put the trap into a large tote with a lid. Turn on the regulator and come back 15 minutes later. Skunk is dead, doesn't spray and doesn't exhibit any signs of distress or trauma.

So you are saying a 270 Winchester from 20 yards away using a 90 Gr HP bullet would not be well received by the "studio audience"?

:confused:
Why are they so picky?

There are box traps commercially produced that are designed for skunks. They have an attachment point for a garden hose. After you confirm it is a skunk, slowly turn the trap on end and screw on the hose. Add water....Wait 5-10 minutes....They still leak the scent occasionally so I dig the burial hole first and dump the carcass and bury it immediately. The yard smells a little, but I don't get any on me.

In Washington we are not allowed to release them elsewhere. If you trap one it must be killed or released on the property it was trapped on. Good luck releasing one without getting sprayed! Check your local laws.

When on my property in close proximity to my house or other out buildings I treat skunks the same as other vermin.
I will dispatch them before they cause problems if possible.
I've shot skunks, everyone of them sprayed except one, I shot him at the base of his tail as he was going away from me, I used a 22 rifle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Skunk removal

Just blastem with something. 22 short in the lungs would be my preference.
9 chances out of ten it will spray.
Just move slow and gentle untill you shoot.
If you see his bullseye with his tail up pointed in your direction I would retreat, that's just me personaly.
We would sure like to like to hear how you come out.

I better warn you they have a "6 shooter". It is not a once and done thing. It was always dicey skinning them after they stiffened up. Pulling on the legs could release more. I never collected it, but they used to pay a good buck for the skunk essence years ago. Take a guess what it was used for.

I was walking out on a trail last night about 10:30 and came face to face with a skunk about 6 ft. in front of me. He didn't see me till the last moment when I stomped my foot to get his attention. Luckily he made a U turn and back into the woods. I was looking for hogs and didn't want to shoot, so we both just graciously went our own ways.

Back