How to justify another gun purchase???? Wives??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusternc

I bought my first gun a Sig P220 .45ACP back in February of this year. Since then, I have absolutely gone nuts over guns. I have since purchased a Savage 10-FP tactical .308 with mil-dot scope and just recently a DPMS Ar-15 .223. Needless to say, my wife is not very happy with my purchases $$$, especially being that they are so close together (time wise).
Would enjoy hearing about others in this position. What do you do to justify YET ANOTHER gun purchase? Now I have my eye on one of Springfields LOADED stainless steel .45's. I'm kinda thinking that I should sell my savage to cover the purchase, but I know as soon as I do, I'll regret giving up such a great rifle/scope. Decisions...decisions..

Nathan

If you sell that rifle, you will regret it. I don't know anyting about that particular rifle, but anytime I've sold a gun, I've regretted it later. I don't sell guns anymore. I once bought a brand new Sig P228 (with the pre-ban mags mind you), had it for about 3 weeks, then realized I needed some money to eat and pay bills. I sold it and took a major loss. I never even shot the thing. That was hard.

As for the wife: It is easier to beg for forgivness than to ask for permission . . .

How do you like that P220? I'm still trying to work the bugs out of mine.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited November 20, 1999).]

Heh, that was kinda my thinking too. I always seem to regret when I sell something. "Bugs" in your P220? Mine has been fantastic. Only had 1 failure to extract (stovepipe?) in 1000 + rounds, and I think that was due to some bad PMC ammo. Thats one gun I will NOT let go! I don't really like the sights all that much though. I wish it had the 3 dot setup instead of the white bar front dot type. I painted the front sight a bright red which helps to distinguish the two better.

Nathan

Gee, Fusternc, after reading your quandary, I feel pretty special. My girlfriend (might as well be the wife), hasn't said 'boo' about what I have bought in the past year. As long as the bills get paid, she doesn't care. So far in the past year, I've bought a Glock 21, Ruger Mini-14, Ruger Mk II, Winchester 70 in .30-06, Remington 1100, a .22 Rifle whose name escapes me right now, and I think that's it. Ummmmmm....yep that's it for this year.
Just explain to your wife that there are some people who collect Franklin Mint plates, there are others who collect Hummel figurines, and yet others who collect stamps and coins. You just happen to like to collect firearms. At least you can use firearms and enjoy them. What the heck can you do with a Hummel figurine (Well, besides target practice :) )?

You say "Honey, I want it". That is it. Then buy it. Why does your wife tell you what you can buy with your money?

Does she buy anything for herself? Does she ask permission to spend money on what she wants? (It does not matter what it is, whether it is crafts, makeup, perfume, dresses, fancy clothes, or even any clothes that are not NEEDED, then she is spending money on her hobbies). People's hobbies vary. Some people like to buy workout equipment, some buy clothes because they love the feeling of wearing new clothes (sometime you NEED new clothes, sometimes you want them), but everyone spends money on things they don't NEED. You just like to spend your WANT money on guns. Nothing is wrong with that.
With my wife, we split our extra money evenly. After bills and such, we take what is extra and make it "fun money". Fun money must be used for anything personal that is not needed. She does not ask what I spend mine on, and I don't ask her. If I want to buy a new gun, and I have enough of my fun money saved to do it, I buy it and don't even tell her (only because she does not care...it is my fun money). If I don't have enough fun money, then I save up until I do.

Gee, I must have the best wife on the planets!!!! She has allowed be to be part of that "One a Month Club". Always looks forward to my next gun purchase and gets more excited than I do. What a wife. I Love You Pat!!

Robert

In my house each one of my guns it seems is named after a dog. My wife gets a puppy, I get a gun.

One day I picked up a pistol grip Mossberg 500. I put it away in the safe until the right time. Sometime later my wife acquired a show quality whippet male that she didn't have to pay for.

I asked the wife if the new whippet qualified as a new gun for me. She protested she didn't have to pay anything for the whippet. So, I suggested a compromise. Since she didn't have to pay for the whippet, could I get half a gun. She thought that was reasonable.

I dragged out the pistol grip shotgun and said, "See, it's only half a gun."

Actually, to tell the truth, until recently my wife has not been spending money on anything other than an outfit now and again or a new purse. However, with the recent purchase of my Ar-15 she has started buying jewelry <gulp>. She has always said that she too needed to find an "expensive hobby"....since I buy guns, and I guess she has found it. I like the "fun money" idea. Might have to recommend it. Especially the "don't ask don't tell rule."

I guess I'm lucky too. My wife doesn't care about what I buy. In the past nine months I've purchased a Colt 1991, Ruger KMK-512, and a Rem 870 HD. We live in California, so with the clock ticking she thought I needed to aquire a few hundred dollars of soon to be banned AR, Ruger Mini-14 and Glock mags. She's not really a shooter. She might shoot with me maybe three times a year to fire her house gun (9x19 CAR-15). Of course it's hard for her to argue against my gun purchases when she collects Lladro figurines. Her average cost per aqusition; about $ 1300.00 each. She's collected about a dozen in the last ten years. Hint, get her hooked on an expensive hobby herself.

Fusternc;

First... Never EVER sell a gun to get another... unless the one you are buying will replace the function of the you want to buy (upgradeing) ;)

There is a little know law that is in fine print on marrage licences. A Cindy Schmidbauer lobbied and had this passed in the early 80s. The law is titled "The Fairness in Purchase Act of 1982".

Basically, it states that for every firearm purchased the spouse gets an item of at least equal value. Now that item does not have to be purchased at the same time as the firearm. It can be purchased either before or after. It also works in reverse... is a spouse buys say.. some dimond earings a firearm may then be purchased. Also presents (birthday, christmas, etc) do not fall under this Act.

Since my wife enacted this legislation we have not had any "problems" associated with firearms purchases. It has even worked to my advantage. On a couple of my firearms my wife has stated after shooting them "I've got me a new shotgun/rifle/pistol". This opened the door to not applying the FIPA and moving on to buying another firearm. ;)

It sounds to me like bruels has been also following the letter/intent of the FIPA without knowing it. Hope this helps.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Bruels, you can also apply that "half a gun" logic to Lorcins . . . .
:)

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

More like 3/16th...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

Here's what a friend of mine does,

He tells his wife that he got it (before buying it) and waits to see her reaction. If she goes ballistic he holds the money and waits for a better time or tries to reason with her before he "returns it". If he gives in he tells her he didn't really get it bought just wanted to see what she would say. He adds that he would always check with her first even though he really wants to get it. If she gives in he says the same but this time gets it.

If she went ballistic thinking he got it, she ussually feels bad after finding out he didn't and actually considered her feelings first. Many times she later tells him to go ahead and get it.

Lie your ass off! If she finds out you have a new gun in the house, tell her, "My friend left it here" or, "I don't know how that got there".

Just kidding. My soon-to-be wife tells me everytime I buy a new gun that the wedding ring diamond gets bigger with each gun purchased. I guess the main thing is that they get something they really want also.

Wouldn't it be convenient if they liked firearms as much as we do? Then you really have it made. ;)

Prior to having kids my wife never said a thing whenever I trotted out my newest aquisition :)

That's all different now.

Now when I buy a case of cheap 9mm she acts as if I'm taking food out of the kids mouths.

Ugh.

I'm in stealth mode now. Ammo gets shipped to my friends houses, guns get hid in the safe and if one is discovered, I've become a fast talker. I do some side work here and there for my "mad money", got my own stealth credit card...

All things considered, she will admit that she gets her fair share of goodies on Xmas and her birthday. She does like her jewelry.

I spend as much in jewelry as I do in guns.

You know what they say: "If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy. If daddy ain't happy, nobody cares".

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

My wife and I have a system that seems to work pretty well for most "out-of-the-budget" items, not just guns.

We each come up with a prioritized list of things that we would each like to save for. We then sit down together and go over the two lists, and agree upon percentages of our disposable income to allocate to each item based on the agreed upon priorities. We end up with a mutual list, which gets the most allocated, and an individual list, which gets lesser allocations since they are things that we want that the other might not care about.

Then, over time, as more paychecks come in, each item has a bucket that accrues money. BTW, this is all set up in Quicken... Anyhow, whenever the "New Gun" bucket gets enough money in it, then I buy a gun, no questions. What's more is that you can always reprioritize things on your individual list, or borrow from other buckets. For example, if I decide that I want a new gun that costs $600, and the "New Gun" bucket has only $300 in it, then I might decide to borrow from my "Mountain Bike" bucket. Basically compromising between things on the list at any point in time.

This may seem complicated, but I assure you that once it's set up, it's fairly easy to deal with, and cuts down on the little arguments that arise from these kind of luxury purchases. It definitely has eliminated some stress between my wife and I, and doing this allows us to also make sure that we're taking care of our mutual interests as well - like vacations!

Cheers,
AKrob

What I do is shop by stealth, preferrably using lay-aways instead of credit cards. This allows the purchase to come from cash or (personal) checkbook.

I bring the weapon home, stick it in the "Jim"s junk closet" along with an assortment of web gear, hunting equipment, old magazines, etc. If it's a handgun it goes in the box marked "research materials" (I.E. old gun magazines).

I wait for a few months before I let her see it, then I tell her "oh this? I've had it for quite awhile!" You must not have seen it before.

Of course according to pre-maritial verbal contract, I'm allowed to buy one a year. Although I must admit that's the ONLY part of the contract that seems to have been remembered.....

------------------
**P.P.L.L.**

When I got married 30 years ago, my wife knew what my hobbies were, GUNS AND RELOADING! The first time she griped about it, I told her that I could've been spending the money on booze and babes behind her back.
Nothing more was ever said about my gun purchases. Oh yes. We're still together. :)
Paul B.

From my wife's perspective, I have only 3 guns, one long, one handgun and one shotgun. All the others are just "spare parts" for the gun.

You can also say that she doesn't wear the same cloth everyday so why should you shoot the same gun everytime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back