How to Carry concealed?

I have a DeSantis inner piece (IWB) for my glock 23 that was around $100 bucks new that conceals well under a t-shirt. I just finished carrying for a few weeks without a holster to see where and how it felt so I know where to look and feel on a pat-down.

ncpatriot mentioned a "Smart Carry" holster. I have one and it works extremely well with a medium-sized gun like a Glock 36 (.45 acp compact). It can be a bit of a problem when seated, but when I get in my vehicle I take the gun out of the holster.

http://www.smartcarry.com/

My usual carry gun, however, is a Kel-Tec P3AT which I keep in my pants pocket in a pocket holster.

IMO, the XD9sc is a bit big for pocket carry, unless you have huge cargo pockets. And even then, presentation is less than ideal.

After getting a good belt, you have to really experiment with location. 3:00 carry is vastly different than 4:00... one may work great, the other could be horrible.

I have carried an XD40sc for 2 years with no issues. For me, it's Comp-Tac MTAC holster at about 3:30.

I also use a SmartCarry on occasion, but I've never been able to make it comfortable.

A vote here for Blade Tech's line. I just finished Front Sight's 4 day Defensive Handgun Course using one of BT's holsters and an Uncle Mikes tactical type belt with magazine carry pouch on the support hand side. Can't say enough good things about the course, the instructors or the Blade Tech holsters.

While they do stick out from the waist a bit, the draw is effortless and the gun is ALWAYS in the same position...a big item for muscle memory and a smooth draw. I used it with a Glock 17, rented from FS for the course...my first sojourn into the world of Glock and it's certainly no small gun. The BT holster held it well, and with a good shirt tail, I feel it would not "print" badly.

For actual carry here in KY, I use a light weight Tom Threepersons, open top holster for my wife's J frame Airweight .38 Spl as well as my S&W M-36 3" barreled Chief's Spl. We carry behind the right (strong side) hip in what used to be called the "FBI Carry". The draw from that position is good, and printing is negligible even when wearing a light summer T-shirt. The gun rides in the hollow of my hip, around the love handles area. It's a good compromise. Both hand guns have hammers, a detriment to a smooth draw from under anything, but using Front Sight's method of the support hand raising the concealment garment, then a smooth draw to the present position, we find the revolvers are the best choice for us. Granted, an automatic with bobbed hammer, would come up easier.

One other option not usually mentioned is the fanny pack method. If you're jogging, hiking, or just about anything short of going to church, or work in a business suit, it'll suffice. I do carry from time to time, and see others wearing fanny packs and honestly, never even wonder if they're carrying.

JMHO, Rodfac

Last edited:
nlrpd....thanks for posting that series of pics and the explanation that went along with them. Your honest appraisal of the circumstances has me re-thinking my carry methods...the exposed trigger et al. Re-thinking is the operative word...at 65 years old, it's sometimes possible to think I've seen it all...and then a different twist comes up and I reevaluate. Many thanks friend for shedding some daylight on an interesting topic. Rod

Kazanski612 said
I also use a SmartCarry on occasion, but I've never been able to make it comfortable.
I find that the lower I wear the holster (covering the family jewels, pretty much) the better it is. Riding low like that, I feel the bulk just enough to remind me that my friend is there!

The ways to conceal are too numerous to count.
The only way to find out what is best is to experiment.
You are on your way to collecting more holsters than you can possibly imagine:D

I cannot remember the maker, but back in the 1990's I knew a few people who carried PPK sized handguns in a pocket holster. It required a deepish pocket but it was practically invisible unless you wore your pant's too tight. Quick access too. I'll try to find out if they're still made.

I see that those pocket holsters are now made by several different manufacturers. They also look a lot nicer than they did in 1993 or so. I saw a bunch of them on cheaperthandirt.com just now. I'm sure the other sites have them too. Looks perfect to me for smaller guns.

The ways to conceal are too numerous to count.
The only way to find out what is best is to experiment.
You are on your way to collecting more holsters than you can possibly imagine
Truer words were never spoken. After trying about 20 different carry methods and holsters, I now only have one carry method that works for me, and has now for about 5 yrs. Its IWB, 2:00-2:30 in a good formed Horsehide Holster, with a good belt.

I carry at the 3:00 to 3:30 75% of the time. It feels very natural for me walking and drawing. Any further back behind 3:30 is hard for me to reach and get a good clean draw because my shoulders are very muscular.
I LOVE AIWB. The draw seems very fuild, very fast and natural but you cannot sit down like that. Plus I kind of dont like the idea of have a gun pointed at my junk get my drift? But I do AIWB if I am not going to be sitting for long periods of time.

i have that same uncle mike's. I put my Glock 30 in it. Yes you need a good belt with it but it stays in position if you tighten your belt enough. Plus it is so soft you barely feel it on you. You need to reholster with 2 hands. to keep the mouth of the holster open but I like it and it works just need a belt, a good belt tighten up tight and it works.

what position is it called if i carry my gun over my right kidney area with the butt facing left? i find this very comfortable in all positions even in the car and i draw it and click off the safety in one fluid motion. i use the 12 buck unkle mikes and my weapon is a full size double stack .45. i dont even know its there unless i have to pick up something off the ground or the bottom shelf at the grocery store when i have to make sure my t-shirt or polo doesnt ride up. why is printing such a concern? especially where open carrry is legal? the only thing i worry about is a thug taking my gun and i usually dont let strangers get that close unless i'm in a line or a crowd and i darn near have my hand on it or an elbow/forearm protecting it then. whats the first style of holster for me to look at for competition shooting? hopefully it's also a good rig for carry so i can practice drawing for both at once

I realized a long time ago that CCW is a negotiation between how I want to carry and what works for my body type in normal clothing.

In the summer I carry a smaller gun than I would like to but its a negotiation.

In the winter I carry what and how I want but wear a little heavier/longer jacket than I normally prefer but again, its a negotiation.

Body type is a big factor. I have a 43" chest and 36" waist @ 5'10. I am considered chunky by most and I dont conceal firearms easily. My decision on how to carry is based on trial and error in front of a large mirror. IWB carry for me is limited to a classic loop and tunnel holster worn in the 4 o'clock. I know alot of people consider loop and tunnel a outdated design but it works perfectly with my body type. It rides high and tight against my side, which is what I want. I dont really need a stiff belt because the holsters design is very forgiving.

Back