How to carry a semi-auto

The OP needs SAO-specific training w/ that weapon so he can determine that Condition-1 is the appropriate carry mode.
Also because the OP stated that a revolver has always been their choice for carry, a LOT of training and practice. In order to retrain their entire thinking, and reaction in a stressful situation to switching the safety off.
A DAO pocket gun like a LCP, P3at, or others of that design would have been a better choice, and easier, more reliable transformation. But unfortunatly brand name, and looks may have over shadowed practical consideration.

Hammer down is a bad way to carry a gun if you have to cock the hammer for a specific gun - like a 1911, etc. The reason is that under stress, the hammer can slip from your thumb and you get an ND.

Drawing from a pocket and cocking the hammer by your thumb is a way to shoot yourself.

This thread is a variant of folks being scared to carry a gun in a condition that it is ready to go.

The two ready to go guns are the striker fired and revolvers. The difference is trigger weight. Learn to master either and get quality carry gear.

The safety on SA guns - like the 1911 - take practice, practice. Yes, folks - even the highly practiced - screw up the safety under stress. One particular risk is deploying the gun in an unusual position or circumstance - that increases the risk of forgetting the safety. An off hand draw or use, picking it up from a box - something that isn't the normal draw stroke and folks can forget the safety.

In Ayoob's new book, there are documented cases of folks who lost the fight because of unchambered guns and forgetting the safety.

In any case, if you trust mechanics to keep you safe as compared to skill and practice, you are making a mistake. Wait till Google or Amazon come out with the self-shooting pistol.

drawing a 1911 and cocking with one hand, like one would do with a single action revolver, is fairly safe because the grip safety is not held in. The gun can be safely cocked as it is drawn from the holster and then would fire only when the grip wrapped around the gun.

The 938 or 238 don't have a grip safety.

That's what was in the OP, so the 1911 isn't that relevant for the hammer discussion.

My comment on the 1911 was that we see folks missing the safety under stress.

The two ready to go guns are the striker fired and revolvers. The difference is trigger weight. Learn to master either and get quality carry gear.
Three, Double Action Only hammer fired semi!-auto. P3at, LCP, LC9( not "s" model), Bodyguard, Taurus 738, and I'm sure there are more.

Duh, you are correct. Slipped my mind. How could I forget DAO semis - however you define them.

I need the face slap emoji. I even had some of them.
:o:confused:

Well boys and girls, there are gunfighters, and hobbies-ts!

The most important shot of your whole life, the first one, in a fight for your life, weighs 12 lbs! And 1/4" longer than the second one, at 3 lbs!

Good idea? NO!

That's why I carry a Glock 19 4th Gen. First Shot, and the next 15, all the same 4.5 lb release, same length of travel. Good recoil with my 147g Ranger T.

Very accurate, hundreds of Police shootings done with this same round.

"Why I picked this cartridge!"

The most important shot of your whole life, the first one, in a fight for your life, weighs 12 lbs! And 1/4" longer than the second one, at 3 lbs!

Good idea? NO!

That's why I carry a Glock 19 4th Gen. First Shot, and the next 15, all the same 4.5 lb release, same length of travel.

Interesting thought, but I'm not sure how that has anything at all to do with how to carry SAO 1911's.

I have had my conceal carry for about a year and half and have always carried a .357 revolver. I decided to go with something lighter and purchased a Sig P238. My question is, should I carry it with the hammer back and on safe, or hammer down and on safe? Thanks

"cocked and locked"

The reason I switched to the P238 is because my Wife has had one for a while and I like the way it handles, the reliability of it and how well I can shoot it. I was carrying a Ruger sp101 at about 4 o'clock IWB. The gun is well made and accurate but it was heavy and uncomfortable to wear. I carry the P238 in a pancake type holster on my right hip, and can draw it and get it on target much faster than the .357 carried IWB. It conceals well and and I forget I am wearing it at times. As to how I would respond in a life or death situation where speed is of the essence is an unknown to me. No one knows until they are in that situation. No doubt I need to practice drawing, taking safety off, getting on target and firing. And I will. As a reloader, this gun will be guaranteed to see a lot of action.

Answer to Mandolin Man.

It doesn't really, but a good thought! Especially as I missed a safety catch in a big IPSC match years ago. And if it happened in a high stress sports event, what are the odds of it happening in a fight for your life? Hence gone pistols with manual safety catches. In 1984.

Sometimes I carry my HK USP 45. This gun allows me to carry hammer forward round in chamber off safe. the same on safe and cocked and locked one in chamber like a 1911.

I would carry the Sig P238 with safety on, and hammer back. I have many years experience carrying a 1911 that way, and for me, it's 'natural' and safe.

Glock26, ten rounds in the magazine one chambered. Carried in an on the waistband holster that covers the trigger.
I'm not fast, low drag or any kind of operator.

Back