How Strict are Vermont's Gun Laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
peetzakilla said:
Pardon my gross indiscretion.
Wasn't aimed at you Peetza...

I quoted Aguila Blanca in that post, which was my response to his quoted text saying that FL permit reciprocity was on the decline, after information had already been provided which proved to the contrary.

My son lives in Vermont. It is quite beautiful for about five months out of the year, and waaaaay too cold the rest of the time:eek:. In addition to the four seasons most of ust here are familiar with, they have a fifth season, it is known as MUD season, it occures just before Spring, during the thaw. You can just imagine.
It has great gun laws, or lack therof:D!
Of course, the flip side is that Vermont, coincidentily or not, is about the last place on earth one will need to defend themselves with a gun, or anything else for that matter! From what I can tell from my visits to Lyndon, on the eastern part of the state, nothing ever happens. The most dangerous event, and it does happen with alarming regularity, is running into a Moose with ones car. Which while not particularly healthy for the Moose, usualy ends up much worse for the driver:eek:!
If you like lots of snow and beautiful views everwhere you go, you would be very happy there.
Willy

Wild, PICS or it never happened....

back on topic . Vermont is a very gun friendly state, beautiful environment, lots of nice places to see, and the folks there are friendly. Its my go to state after we get done with NYS.

Vt. is extremely gun friendly, but after a number of recent suicides there is discussion of a some sort of "responsibility" clause pertaining to firearms owners. "All firearms would require locks/safes"

We haven't heard the wording yet, but the example I have heard is "they dont want someone to be able to wander into your home and access and/or kill themselves with your firearm."

If you have kids and the are bringing other kids into your home, its a good law, makes some sense. To a hermit in the woods with a coyote problem, its ridiculous.

A good friend is a mental health counselor with the state, he past this on to me just after the tragedy in Arizona. He has always been credible in my book.

I'm used to this type of legislation. I have to fill out a form for CA DOJ everytime I purchase a firearm stating I own a gun safe and understand I can be held accountable if anyone inadvertantly misuses one of my guns. We also have to get a handgun safety certificate before we can puchase handguns, it costs $35 and is good for 24 months. Its just a 30 question test, answers are so obvious its silly. Just another way for the DOJ to get $35 from a few million folks every couple of years.

Ive heard the carry age was 16 in vermont, seemed rediculous but they allow machine guns, licenceless concealed carry, they really dont have laws for anything.

Vermont & Maple syrup

I have lived in Vt most of my life,I live next to lake champlain in the N.W. Part of Vt,it's cold in the winter and it snows alot here....2011 Feb broke a snow record....I don't ski,or fish anymore,but I plow snow and buy guns ....

We have NO state gun laws.You can own a machine gun if you have a class 3 FFL....

We must abide to federal laws,(schools,fed buildings etc).

We need no CC permit,I can carry a loaded pistol in my vehicle,but not a shotgun or rifle(this is a HUNTING LAW)....

Unfortunatley we have a lot of people from different walks of life coming into Vt from all over the world...we don't have a lot of crime but any crime is to much....drugs are coming in every day and these dumb as's get caught and go to prison.....I carry in the spring and walk my dogs with a loaded pistol,as coyotes and an occasional moose or bear I may bump into .....most people I know don't mind me carrying a pistol,some seem safer in the woods with a gun....others think I'm nuts .....I like to keep everyone guessing as to what I might be carrying on any particular day .... I don't mind being considered a nut .....I have a C&R as I collect antique ammo ......and I'll also shoot any skunks in my yard,as I don't like washing skunk smell off of my four labs ...

snip - not our business - GEM

I am getting older,and the winters seem longer .....but I'll tough it out here as long as I can ....and then my sons can have my guns ,to do with what ever they want....

Got questions about Vt ,just P.M. me....BB34:D

Suicides

We had a young man in high school ,obtain a handgun from his high school friend,The friend did not know his friend planned on ending his life with this handgun,but he did...it's a tragedy....

The parents of the young man who commited suicide,blame the fact that the pistol was easy to obtain,and if it was locked in a vault their son would still be alive .....(Mass law states trigger lock on each gun in a locked case when transported) I doubt this law will go into effect as we can carry handguns on our person or in vehicles...if the young man had commited suicide with his friends car ,we'd have lock up all our cars and stuff them in garages (vaults).

IMHO that the parents need to blame something for the lose of their son....

My 2 cents BB34

BTW,my guns are in a safe ,and locked ,the ammo is in a seperate safe,that is locked IIRC :D Then again one might be hiding in the house somewhere waiting for the next stinking skunk to come around !!!

Non-Resident Of VT

I am going to visiting a friend in VT for 6 wks. Will I be able to purchase a firearm in the state of VT, with my out of state id? I do not have a license or permit from any other state. I was never convicted of any sort of crime (other then a traffic ticket) I also do not use drugs of any sort..

Basically why question is simple terms. What is need to buy a fire arm in the state of VT for a NON-Resident?

thank you in advance...

This sums it up best Dino

Section 4015. Purchase of firearms by nonresidents

Residents of a state other than the state of Vermont may purchase rifles and shotguns in the state of Vermont, provided that such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and regulations thereunder, as administered by the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and provided further that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in the state of Vermont and in the state in which such persons reside.

http://www.atg.state.vt.us/issues/gun-laws.php

ie: no handguns.

Folks, we care about gun issues according to the OP. We don't care about life style issues. So let that go.

If there is a forum to complain or praise diverse life styles - find it. Just like there is probably a forum to discuss the great artisanal cheese of VT.

Glenn

Suppressors are illegal in VT, for what it's worth.

I heard somewhere that the penalty for breaking this law is a $25 fine.:D Of course if you don't have it legally under federal law the penalty is a bit worse.:eek:

VT is indeed a beautiful state. Personally i prefer NH, which (to correct a prior post) is the actual Live Free Or Die state.

NH has a little coastline, a lot of mountains, wildlife, and lakes, low/no taxes, and gun laws that make sense. It took me about 4 weeks to get my NR permit for NH. NH is a bit more conservative than VT, which suits me fine.

The only downside to Vermont's system is that, unlike Alaska and Arizona, Vermont does not offer the option of obtaining a permit. This can be a problem if you want/need to get a non-resident permit from a state that requires proof of a home state permit before issuing.

how about a copy of your VT DL? That would show that you are indeed entitled to legally carry PER your home states laws no?

Dead said:
Aguila Blanca said:
The only downside to Vermont's system is that, unlike Alaska and Arizona, Vermont does not offer the option of obtaining a permit. This can be a problem if you want/need to get a non-resident permit from a state that requires proof of a home state permit before issuing.
how about a copy of your VT DL? That would show that you are indeed entitled to legally carry PER your home states laws no?
There is no simple answer. It depends on exactly how the law is written for the state in which you wish to obtain a license/permit. If the law only says you must be legally allowed to carry in your home state, a driver's license should suffice. If the law says you must have a license (or permit) to carry issued by your state of residence, a driver's license won't do it.

Being in a nation comprised of fifty states is both a blessing and a curse. Since each state writes its own laws, almost nothing has a one-size-fits-all answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back