How Strict are Vermont's Gun Laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadcoyote

The wife and I have been set on exiting California for a while now. she has gotten a job offer in Vermont. How are the gun laws there? Magazine restricrtions? semi-auto rifle restrictions?

I think Wild is about right.

I know they have no permit for handguns and open carry is legal. I think nonresidents are even allowed to own/carry with no permits.

The only downside to Vermont's system is that, unlike Alaska and Arizona, Vermont does not offer the option of obtaining a permit. This can be a problem if you want/need to get a non-resident permit from a state that requires proof of a home state permit before issuing.

As far as I know, none of the New England states (or New York, which also borders Vermont) have any reciprocity between/among them. New hampshire has legal open carry, but with the influx of Bostoners living in NH open carry has been hassled in some of the southern municipalities of NH. But a NH permit isn't hard to get, nor is Maine.

Aguila Blanca said:
As far as I know, none of the New England states (or New York, which also borders Vermont) have any reciprocity between/among them.

I think what you're saying here is true but to carry in Vermont you don't need reciprocity. Anyone who can legally own a handgun in the US (21yrs/nonfelon) can own and carry a handgun. It might even be 18 in Vermont, I'm not sure.

Edit:

From handgunlaw.us:

Airport Carry: No law found
Training Valid for: No training requirements in law.
Time Period to Establish Residency: N/A
Minimum Age for Permit/License: If 18 can possess and carry firearm
Permit/License Info Public Information: N/A

So, yep, 18 and nonfelon, may own and carry, and I'm pretty sure open carry is equally unrestricted.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/vermont.pdf

Last edited:
peetzakilla said:
I think what you're saying here is true but to carry in Vermont you don't need reciprocity. Anyone who can legally own a handgun in the US (21yrs/nonfelon) can own and carry a handgun. It might even be 18 in Vermont, I'm not sure
My post wasn't related to carry in Vermont. The OP will be relocating to Vermont, and thus "reciprocity" will not be an issue. They will be residents.

My point relates to the fact that Vermont is a very small state, surrounded by states that have no reciprocity. For example, many people on the east side of Vermont cross the river to do most of their shopping in New Hampshire because NH has no sales tax. To be able to carry concealed "across the river" will require a NH permit.

And people from Vermont do occasionally vacation in other states. This is where not having the option of getting a Vermont permit can be a disadvantage. One of the most popular out-of-state permits is Utah, because so many states honor it. Utah is proposing to make it such that they won't issue unless you have a home state permit. Vermonters CAN'T get a home state permit, which would make Utah also impossible. I don't have a list, but other states also decline to issue non-resident permits to people who don't have a home state permit.

I didn't mention this as a reason not to move to Vermont. I used to ski there, many years ago, and it's a lovely state. Just be aware that the lack of any carry permit is a bit of a two-edged sword.

Just be aware that the lack of any carry permit is a bit of a two-edged sword.

Not really, just requires a bit of flexibility... One can always apply for a Florida non-resident permit. See here.

It won't really help you out any for the surrounding states of VT, but it'll cover you as long as you vacation in one of the states that honors the non-res FL permit.

peetzakilla said:
If you get a Florida non-res permit, I believe you can carry in 35 states.
I don't think it's quite that good, unless things have changed. When I first got Florida about seven years ago, it was good for (IIRC) about 31 states. Since then, I believe a couple of those states have dropped Florida from recognition, so I think Florida is now "only" good for 29 or 30 states. Which isn't too shabby.

But ... you have to be careful. I think that number may be reduced because I'm not certain that all the states listed as recognizing Florida will recognize Florida non-resident permits.

Pizzakilla wrote: "Anyone who can legally own a handgun in the US (21yrs/nonfelon) can own and carry a handgun."

HUH?

OK, I get it, you're talk'n 'bout VT.

Aguila Blanca said:
I don't think it's quite that good, unless things have changed. When I first got Florida about seven years ago, it was good for (IIRC) about 31 states. Since then, I believe a couple of those states have dropped Florida from recognition, so I think Florida is now "only" good for 29 or 30 states. Which isn't too shabby.

But ... you have to be careful. I think that number may be reduced because I'm not certain that all the states listed as recognizing Florida will recognize Florida non-resident permits.

It has changed. See here. It really does get frustrating posting the same link over and over again because people can't/won't click on a resource....

34 states honor FL resident permits. 30 honor FL non-resident permits.

jgcoastie said:
It really does get frustrating posting the same link over and over again because people can't/won't click on a resource....

Which is why I post once then go about my business. I'll post twice if someone asks a direct question. But, I've gotten over the frustration that most people don't follow links.

IIRC, some states that require you to have a resident permit before they allow you to get a nonresident permit will accept a letter from the local LEO (attesting to the fact that you are not a nut-job) if you are indeed a Vermont resident. This usually only applies if you live in Vermont, as people realize that Vermont has no permitting process but allows carry. About 20 years ago, Vermont STILL had paper drivers licenses. If I could find a great job in Vermont, I would pull up stakes and leave Rhode Island in a heartbeat. And don't worry about NY, there is no reason to cross the border to go there. NH, yes. NY, no.

jgcoastie said:
It has changed. See here. It really does get frustrating posting the same link over and over again because people can't/won't click on a resource....

34 states honor FL resident permits. 30 honor FL non-resident permits.

I got information from the same place... simply neglected to count the pink states.

30 states honor FL non-res. Pardon my gross indiscretion.

a letter from the local LEO (attesting to the fact that you are not a nut-job)

Should be easy to get -- after all, you're moving from the People's Republic of California to the Live Free or Die state of Vermont! :D

If it were the other way around -- not so much! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back