How often do YOU train with self defense rounds?

I carry GoldDot HP ammo and have several thousand rounds of handloads using this bullet(bought as pulls from incorrectly loaded ammo) to the same specs as the factory loads I carry. Absolutely no difference between the two loads. Best of both worlds=lower cost w/o reduced performance or function.

10% of the time maybe. I can't really tell the difference in recoil between them. I use full size handguns except for a J frame in .357 which I always run hot loads through.

Just to be clear, I put 200-300 rounds of carry ammo through my carry gun before I trust that load.

Thereafter, I shoot a lot of similarly-powered handloads, and only burn the ammo in the mag once or twice per year to replace it with fresh.

I am very new to shooting but I do enjoy going to the range and shooting very much. I don't think twice about putting 100+ rounds through my Glock 26 but today was the first time I shot Hollow Points.
I can notice the difference for sure between the FMJ and the HP and I was curious how often some of you shoot your self defense rounds?

I am skeptical of the quote and the reason why is, if both the practice ammo and SD ammo is of the same weight bullet how are you able to tell the difference between the 2. I can't tell the difference between my 115 grain fmj and my 115 grain hp. Strange:confused:

I can notice the difference for sure between the FMJ and the HP and I was curious how often some of you shoot your self defense rounds?

Makes sense to me. His FMJ are cheap range fodder and the HP's are loaded hotter for SD.

Quote:
I am very new to shooting but I do enjoy going to the range and shooting very much. I don't think twice about putting 100+ rounds through my Glock 26 but today was the first time I shot Hollow Points.
I am skeptical of the quote and the reason why is, if both the practice ammo and SD ammo is of the same weight bullet how are you able to tell the difference between the 2. I can't tell the difference between my 115 grain fmj and my 115 grain hp. Strange

I tested a couple different brands of ammo this weekend from Federal,PMC, and TulAmmo in FMJ and Fed Hydra-Shok and Speer Gold Dot in HP. I could feel the difference between all three of the FMJ rounds I tried even though they were all 115gr. Some felt hotter, some smoked more.
It's all a learning experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly shoot my own hand loads but I typically load them to a similar level to factory ammo

Same here, I have a handload for a LSWC that very closely emulates the FBI load (158 gr. LSWCHP +P) from my .38 specials. I don't shoot them very often, but do when I have an opportunity to engage in rapid-fire SD practice. 50 +P rounds from an airweight snubby in 40 degree temps gets painful pretty quickly, but they are quite fun from a K-frame snubby. The difference between a normal "public range pace" (no more than one shot every 2 seconds) and rapid fire (4-5 shots per second) is eye-opening, especially if you don't get to shoot rapid fire very often.

I can't tell the difference between my 115 grain fmj and my 115 grain hp

Don -

I they are referring to the difference between typical WWB FMJs and SD HP loads which might be +P or +P+. Quite a difference depending on the gun.

Last edited:
Once I am reasonably assured that the gun and ammo work well together, not very often.

I don't use +p in my carry platform and usually use the same bullet weight in FMJ for practice.

I use standard pressure ammo for practice. I mix in old carry ammo (+P in 9mm and sometimes .45) occasionally when I need to replace it. A little more recoil, but doesn't make any difference on the range. Hits are the same. Steel targets still go ding.

Blessed are those who actually run the generic termed "200 rds." (or more) of the ammo they intend to carry thru their guns. 200 X $35 a box = $350 for CorBon DPX. Doable with HST in reasonably priced 50 rd. boxes.

I put plenty rds. of different varieties thru my guns and a few mags. of carry ammo. If all goes without a hitch, I carry it.

While it doesn't take the place of actual shooting, hand cycling ammo thru the gun is a fairly good indicator of how well the gun likes it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
I hand load so the typical 200 rounds of SD ammo for me is a cost of less than $60 for those using Hornady XTP JHP in 9mm. Add about $10 for .45 acp.

I load them to the level of the factory SD rounds. They feel the same to me. I also shoot a lot of cast lead. I would not feel undergunned to carry my own cast lead handloads in a pinch.

I shoot SD rounds periodically, but for routine practice I try to find inexpensive practice ammo with similar PoA/PoI. Ideally, I also find some with similar recoil, but I am more concerned with PoI.

I only shoot what I shoot, training or otherwise. Never mix em up so I get the exact results every shot.

markj, if I tried to do that with DPX, I'd go broke. Either you have more ammo money, or you shoot less, doing it your way.

To each his own.

On a related note, just finished up annual recurrent training at SimuFlite. Using a simulator, we practiced takeoffs from high altitude runways in summer time (Aspen, CO) at max weight, with engine cuts at aircraft rotation. Was it exactly the same as it would be in an airplane? Possibly not, but the risk outweighs the training value if one cuts one of two engines, then tries to snake through the mountain canyons at a 110fpm rate of climb... IE we would never train for this in the airplane, as it would be too dangerous.

Similarly, we wouldn't practice overtorquing the motors, if need be, to climb out a severe windshear - it would be prohibitively expensive. So we simulate severe windshear recoveries in the simulator, where we may find we do have to overtorque the engines if we want to survive.

Theoretically, the training in the simulator should carry over to the aircraft. In practice, decades of simulator training have proven that most such training actually does carry over.

So, I put it to you all that affordable practice ammo, that reasonably mimics your carry load, has training value.

Last edited:
Not Donald Trump

Shooting high tech defensive rounds is just too pricey for me. I recently invested in a chronograph which better enables me to develop handloads that duplicate the velocity of Speer Gold Dot or Federal Hydra-shok, for example.
The Federal 230 grain Hydrashok clocks 833 FPS through my 4.5" S&W M&P.
6.5 grains of Unique gives me 832 FPS with a plated 230 grain round nose. I can shoot a bunch of my handloads for the cost of one of those Federal rounds.

Once I have verified that it cycles fine in my SD firearm I shoot them every six months. Other than that I shoot my target ammo at the range (Federal, Magtech, and Winchester 9 mm) every two to three weeks. All my self defense rounds, both rifle and handguns are Honardy Taps and Critical defense.

Don -

I they are referring to the difference between typical WWB FMJs and SD HP loads which might be +P or +P+. Quite a difference depending on the gun.

I thought that but did not want to assume.;)

I only shoot what I shoot, training or otherwise. Never mix em up so I get the exact results every shot.

Thats got to be super expensive:eek:

I wouldn't practice with my carry ammo, it's too expensive.

A second point to be made here is that in the crushing stress of a real life gunfight situation, you won't notice subtle details like how different kinds of ammo feel, trigger pull, etc. Your brain will shut down and you'll go on pure reflexes.

markj, if I tried to do that with DPX, I'd go broke.

I dont shoot them or any other high dollar SD round, them FMJ work just fine for me since I never had to actually use a CCW. I have tho killed many a varmint with that round and have full confidence in my abilities to ward off an attacker with these rounds.

Please dont "instruct" me, I know all about the HPs and the SD stuff. I do not wish to argue this with anyone. It is my way and I do not tell others it is the only way but for me it works just fine.

I carry .45 acp

Back