How often do YOU train with self defense rounds?

BillyBeards

I am very new to shooting but I do enjoy going to the range and shooting very much. I don't think twice about putting 100+ rounds through my Glock 26 but today was the first time I shot Hollow Points.
I can notice the difference for sure between the FMJ and the HP and I was curious how often some of you shoot your self defense rounds?
Please keep in mind that I am very new to shooting and because of were I live I do not carry. This is only for home defense and range practice.

Thanks

My home defense rounds are typical factory rounds. I shoot 357 magnum and I feel that any factory 125 grain JHP or SJHP is just fine.

I mostly shoot reloads but I typically load them to a similar level as factory ammo unless I am loading for hunting.

I shoot at least 1 box (50 rounds) every week end (unless I am out of town)

Last edited:
I shoot about 3 times a month and probably go through 50 to 75 self defense rounds. Most of them are shot through my S&W 637 and a mag or two through a Sig. I usually use Winchester PDX .38 +P, Federal hydra shoks or Gold dots.

I carry semi-autos, so reloads produce about the same recoil effects as self-defense rounds. Since I have ranges on my property, I shoot on average 2-3 times a week. I rarely shoot Factory self-defense ammo.
At about 10,000 rounds per year, they are just too expensive for no change in recoil/blast. Once I am sure they will work in my carry guns, I save the factory stuff.

Reloading = shoot more for less.

With pistol about once a quarter I will shoot up the magazines and reload them as part of a range trip. The shotgun is fairly similar but I shoot less due to cost of the slugs being a bit higher than pistol rounds.

The rifle I shoot fairly often.

Since my SD guns are kept loaded at home, I'll run a magazine of my SD ammo through them when I get to the range, then switch to cheaper FMJ stuff, then load them back up with SD ammo before going home.

It not only gives me some practice with the ammo, it serves as a magazine function check too.

I forget that a lot of you guys reload so your cost is not as high. I went to Walmart for the first time to look for ammo and I was pleasantly surprised at the prices compared to the LGS I just came from. I'm still trying different types but I left myself one full magazines in the house of Hydra-Skok for now.
Either way it's funny trying out different rounds.
My wife says it's only a matter of time until I want to get into reloading. I've always worked on my own cars when I raced, I work on my guitars and amps, why should this be any different. :D

Sparks1957 said: Since my SD guns are kept loaded at home, I'll run a magazine of my SD ammo through them when I get to the range, then switch to cheaper FMJ stuff, then load them back up with SD ammo before going home.

It not only gives me some practice with the ammo, it serves as a magazine function check too.

Me too.

Hehe, great minds think alike. Seriously though, I do recommend that people practice with their chosen SD ammo to know that it works well in your weapon, and to know its performance which will vary from your cheaper FMJ

Carry load cycled twice a year with monthly practice using less expensive handloads. Since the fundamentals don't change regardless of ammunition choice I see no need to blow off $50 boxes of Gold Dots for practice.

I reload so I load up some rounds that are similar to the expensive factory defense ammo. I shoot usualy at least once a week if not more, unless it is cold wet and crappy outside like it is right now.:(

Though I am cleaning up my reloading area so it is not that bad of a deal.:cool:

The difference in recoil between the two (unless the FMJ rounds are green/frangible, or target rounds) will be neglible. I have no issue practicing with FMJ, and carrying HP ammo other times.

Every other time I go to the range I will usually fully load a magazine with HD rounds, or half load two magazines with different brands. In .40 S&W I like Gold Dots, in 9MM I like HST and Crit Def. IMO it is VERY important you test your gun and often with whatever rounds you are trusting your life with. The gun is just the hammer, it is useless without the nail. I also can't tell you how many forums I have read here on TFL about gun X not liking JHP Y.

On every range trip... After shooting what ever handgun or rifle I'm enjoying I'll always put a load, and a reload of self defense ammo through what ever self defense gun I'm carrying

About once every other month I'll put 9 rounds (loaded mag +1) through my primary.

Right now those have been Winchester PDX, but I'm going to start using Ranger T 147gr. Both of these rounds are really expensive, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in recoil between them and the 115 fodder I practice with.

So I don't shoot the more expensive SD ammo too much.

Back