How often do you change out your JHP rounds in your daily carry?

As long as ammo is properly stored, it'll last longer than we'll live.

I certainly agree with that. Ammo that is carried is not "stored properly" though, at least in my guns. Carried ammo is the focus of this conversation. If your ammo is taking an occasional gentle ride to the mall, maybe it is in a very controlled environment but for some of us clean and dry is not an option.

Last edited:
A bullet with a wide flat meplat will be more effective than a hollow point that probably will not expand.

Therefore, I think the wide flat meplat is more reliable regarding terminal ballistics.

Back about 25 years ago I bought a few boxes of 9mm 124 gr JHP Federal Nyclad.

I've still got 1.5 boxes left and have some of these loaded in my 9mm carry guns. About every couple of years I will fire 5 or 6 of these thru my guns. Yesterday I did just this and all 6 rounds fired with no problem. These had been carried in my guns for a few years.

Modern ammunition is designed to operate under a large range of conditions. Unless I fell out of a boat or dropped my pistol in a stream, I feel very confident my "carry" ammo will perform. If you want to keep "fresh" ammo in your gun, do it....I just don't think it's necessary.

I have a can that after a round has been chambered once I toss it into the can then grab a new round out of the box for the magazine/gun. When that can starts getting full (every few weeks because I dry fire nightly) I shoot it at the range.

As soon as each round in the magazine has been cycled ONCE, that's when I shoot it off and reload with fresh rounds. This is just to minimize encountering any rounds with bullet set back. That said, the same rounds can sit in the magazine for months.

For those who are so worried about bullet setback that they won't chamber the same round twice, there are serviceable calipers at Harbor Freight that go on sale for as little as $10 sometimes. They would pay for themselves really fast.

Calipers are an option. For me I like to shoot my carry stuff here and there and tossing a chambered round aside gives me a reason to.

Like a previous poster has said:

Each time I remove a round after it's been chambered I put a dot on the base. The 4th dot goes on the primer. After that it's removed from the rotation and either goes in the SHTF stockpile or gets shot at the range. This is done to avoid setback. It's probably unnecessary but my ammo stays fresh and I get to accumulate good quality ammunition should I ever need it.

Any good factory center fire ammo should last a couple life times unless you are dunking the gun and ammo in salt water daily. My WW2 Ammo still works.
I've got 45 acp and 44 mag that I cast and loaded in 1973 (43 years old) that shoot like new. These have been kept in a tool box in my garage all these years with high heat and humidity during the Florida summers.

Every year when I have to re-up my off duty carry card I change the ammo out. Not that big a deal to get 18 new 9mm rounds and 5 new .38 special.

My carry ammo When I clean I take chambered round and it goes to bottom of the cleaned mag . When mag full of chambered rounds. Then we shoot them. Ammo doesn't go bad .

I had a little Bauer 25 in safe for years . Walk out side and emptied as fast as I could pull trigger. . Not one miss fire . I have a old AR-7 from around 1982 . It banged around behind seat of pickup for years. Now in back of Jeep . I put together and shoot the 22 ammo. Reload and put every thing back in stock. When I happen to think about it. Good CCI ammo has yet to fail.
I still have 158gr SWCHP +P from 80's in storage Few years back I shot up couple 1000 rounds of 45 acp been in storage . not one problem. Except shortly their after ammo took a big price jump :(

The ammo I carry everyday isn't under conditions any different than the ammo I have stored at home, in any significant way I can think of. It's certainly as dry, and probably sees less temperature swing than my stored ammo. In any case, I've got nothing to suggest temperature swings from 0F to 90F are ever going to have any impact on ammo anyway, and that's generally the widest range my ammo or powder will ever see...with some rare exceptions.

I see no reason at all to ever change the ammo in my carry guns...it's no older or newer than the ammo I'd replace it with, and I'm pretty darn sure I could chamber any of it about a zillion times and it would measure exactly what it does right now. It certainly wouldn't be set back from chambering.

Anyway..I certainly don't care if others choose to change out their ammo from time to time...but it's just not a concern of mine. I choose to hand inspect each round (usually) for case mouth burrs, extractor burrs or damage on the rim, poor primer seating/squashing and so on. I clean each round by hand, and load 'em in a magazine that's been disassembled and cleaned and 'feels good'. The carry ammo all comes out of the mag when I practice at the range, and it all goes back into the mag when I'm done shooting and ready to reholster to leave the range.

Under any conditions I've ever carried or kept ammo, I'd consider 'old' or possibly less reliable to be no less than ~25 years old for factory ammo or any ammo I've hand loaded in clean cases. For folks who somehow manage to sweat all over their ammo, I suppose there could be greater concern. :) I happen to live in a bone dry high plains desert environment, and I know this makes a big difference--I was born and raised in Michigan and things were a lot different there.

Was JHP ammo a specific concern in this context, or was it just an assumption that carry ammo = JHP? I didn't get why the OP specifically mentioned JHP.

Last edited:
Every time I hit the range with it (about once every 4-6 weeks.)
I don't necessarily do it to "refresh" the ammo, but it's the easiest way to empty the magazine so I can load it with range fodder.
I don't give too much thought to the ammo getting old, I do however roate my 3 magazines as carry mags. That way the mag springs get a rest for a few weeks and don't stay loaded all the time. Is that needed, maybe not. But it can't hurt.

Hi Glockomatic,

I shoot at least 2 times/month now and always practice using the ammo that I always carry out in the real World. I generally do not plink. Think it's a waste of time and money. I might be wrong, but I try to shoot what I carry always. That way there are no surprises or screw ups. I try to buy my ammo in bulk which most of the times is $10 to $20 less costly/box than what my range sells the same ammo. So, to answer your post, I never have the same ammo in my revolvers for more than one month.

Regards,

changing out service ammo in carry guns

I change the ammo out once a year. Usually in January so I can keep track of when I did it.

I rotate the chambered round back into the magazine only when I clean the gun and rechamber a fresh round. Otherwise the round stays chambered until the next cleaning. My carry gun stays loaded and ready to go 24/7. I do check OAL on all rounds that go into my carry gun. I have run into factory rounds that had set back. It's rare but it has happened.

Back