How often do you change out your JHP rounds in your daily carry?

Glockomatik

Inactive
I've read and heard from many people that it is good to "frequently" change out the hollow points in your daily carry weapon, and I COMPLETELY agree. You want to make sure the gun will fire when/if you need to use it.

My question is how often is "frequently"? JHP rounds are not cheap, but I don't want to wait too long, just to save a buck and end up having bad ammo when I need it most.

How often do you guys switch it out, and what kind of JHP rounds do you all run?

Stay safe out there!

I've read and heard from many people that it is good to "frequently" change out the hollow points in your daily carry weapon, and I COMPLETELY agree. You want to make sure the gun will fire when/if you need to use it.
I would like to hear from the people who swap out their carry and had a misfire when shooting the "old" ammo. In the middle sixties it was my practice to buy WWII surplus 9MM ammo because it was inexpensive. I never had a misfire with it. Well, I guess there are always people who have to find something to worry about..."Old ammo" is just as good as anything else.

Hmmmm

Do you think this is just a ploy from ammo companies to get you to buy more of their ammo? Lol I guess anything is possible

I've been rocking the same Hornady Critical Duty in my glock .40 for over a year. mostly same mag too. I would just take that mag out and use the other ones and empty the chamber of the defense ammo when I would go shoot (with the cheap ball ammo).

Just this past saturday I decided I would take the gun out to where I shoot and practice some draw and fire drills with it, holstered and loaded with the Hornady ammo just like I carry it every day. The first mag I used was the one I'd been carrying for the last year with the same ammo and all, flawless. Just used the FMJ from there on out but then when I put it back into "carry mode" I loaded it back up with the Critical Duty, maybe even the same box that the first couple came from.

Heres my .02 on this subject: if your ammo goes bad in less than 10 years--maybe that can be a lower number for very humid or wet environments (and even then the cases should all be sealed) then its time to find a new brand of defense ammo.

That being said, my brother gave me a handful of Gold Dot 357 defense ammo which I used to carry in my SP, but I ended up switching it out to a box of ammo that I bought myself just because I dont know how old the ammo is or what its been through while he owned it. Odds are it was fine but not gonna risk it.

ammo doesn't go bad, but if the round keeps getting chambered, it can develop setback, which is dangerous. I shoot out the 1st two rounds of carry ammo every other week at the end of the USPSA match.

I measure the rounds for "setback" ....if, I start seeing some, I will shoot those up and replace....but it's about every 4 or 5 years that I replace them.

If the setback is significant .....i'lol just pull the bullets.

When the top round in the spare mag,speed loader or speed strip gets good and tarnished I'll shoot the ammo in the spare load it up fresh and switch it with the mag in my gun or take the ammo from the cylinder and put it in the speed loader and load fresh into cylinder. with my vast carry rotation that amounts to a few rounds a year.

Usually depending on time, how it looks, or what I just did.

I'm in a hot and humid area and very active outdoors.

But I try to swap them out once a year.

I change SD ammo maybe 2 or 3 times a year.
I use 3 mags. 1st mag loaded with special SD rounds. 2nd mag - spare - loaded with whatever I have. The 3rd is my range magazine.
I used the 3rd mag to load the chamber and replace the 3rd mag with the 1st mag when I CC.
When I practice at the range with cheap ammo, the SD ammo in the chamber gets shot. Sometimes, I add a couple of the SD ammo during practice just to remind myself of the recoil.
I think the ammo in my 1st and 2nd mags is approx 4 months old (from date of purchase).

I never change out my SD ammo.

On the rare occasions when I've fired it at the range, it always works fine. Keep 'em dry and they are fine. It does not rain in my gun safe.

I rotate my top (chambered round) whenever I unload the mag to go to the range to avoid setback, and visually inspect them on reloading. I shoot up my carry ammo once a year. I used to do it once every two years, and not one round ever shot abnormally. I'm not sure why I went to once a year, but I think it is plenty.

I have never changed my carry ammo. I have a few guns I carry. When I bought them, I loaded a mag with defensive ammo and it's still there. Some of it was loaded 15 years ago.

This may not be optimal, but.......

My only concern is making sure that the gun I am using will reliably fire the rounds I have chosen. I have never worried about rotating the rounds.

22LR tends to absorb oils if you don't' seal the bullet to case with finger nail polish. Any good factory center fire ammo should last a couple life times unless you are dunking the gun and ammo in salt water daily. My WW2 Ammo still works.

My question is how often is "frequently"? JHP rounds are not cheap, but I don't want to wait too long, just to save a buck and end up having bad ammo when I need it most.

How often do you guys switch it out, and what kind of JHP rounds do you all run?

Stay safe out there!

Basically? I have a few small boxes of JHP rounds. I ALWAYS make sure to "clean" the rounds. I make sure no debris is in the tip and I clean my magazine out. I reload with a speed loader to increase the life of the magazine as well as reduce any rim damage or body damage to the rounds in the magazine.

As for how often? I will "test" 1-3 rounds every few months. Then when I need a new box I will buy one. I always keep 1 spare box of rounds. To date? I've had no ftf/fte or mishaps in 3-4000 rounds except a singular white box Winchester round that had a bad primer and failed to fire and locked the entire gun up. I had to press it into a railroad tie(not the tracks...and old one) to open the action. No problems since either.

Ps

I use Speer gold dots for short barrel 9mm

22LR tends to absorb oils if you don't' seal the bullet to case with finger nail polish. Any good factory center fire ammo should last a couple life times unless you are dunking the gun and ammo in salt water daily. My WW2 Ammo still works.

I wonder how climate impacts that. Desert rounds would have less humidity to deal with. Here in Florida? Humidity is so so bad it is like being in a shower without the water on.

TailGator said:
I rotate my top (chambered round) whenever I unload the mag to go to the range to avoid setback, and visually inspect them on reloading. I shoot up my carry ammo once a year. I used to do it once every two years, and not one round ever shot abnormally. I'm not sure why I went to once a year, but I think it is plenty.
This is what more-or-less what I do. I mark the chambered round and rotate it to the bottom of the mag. When the marked rounds make their way back to the top, I shoot 'em off.

Back