How often do scopes go bad?

I have a Remington 722 in 244 Rem that dates from 1956. Per the original owner, it's wearing the original scope from the same year; a Balvar 8 with an adjustable mount. I'll be hunting Axis does with it this year.

Obviously, if you have a $75,000 Holland and Holland double, you won't spend more for a scope.

You also won't be putting a scope on it; but if you have a $100K Peter Hofer, a multi-thousand Zeiss/Leica/Steiner/scope is not out of the question.

I've had three Leupolds and a Denver Redfield fail. Two Leupies quit at the range and one on an elk hunt. The Redfield turned toes up at the range. I'd just put it on a .35 Whelen. When I dry fire the rifle, the reticle makes a nice high jump.
The most expensive scope I ever bought was a 2.5x10 Minox I got a sweet deal on. The scope was NIB and you could adjust the elevation just fine but not the windage. Sent it back to the factory for repair and got it back in about two weeks. The adjustments work just fine now.
Paul B.

"Put it in a freezer until it is real cold, take it out and inspect for internal 'fog.' Some fogging on outside glass is OK. If it fogs or seems to blur on the inside...the scope is leaking."

I HAD NEW OUT OF THE BOX be bad, then I have scopes I have used for 20yrs I have weavers that were made in the 60s that are still good !!!

Back