How not to handle a traffic stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadcounsel

Anyone else see this?

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/03/121325-deputy-accidentally-shoots-vietnam-vet/

Elderly Vietnam Vet stopped at night or expired tags, and got out of the vehicle and then reached back in for a long object. Deputy yelled instructions and immediately fired, hitting him 1 time in 6 shots.

What did the vet have? He had a cane, which the deputy mistook for a long gun.

Lesson: when the cops stop you, adrenaline is high. Sit in your vehicle, keep your hands visible, and don't make any sudden or dangerous movements. DO NOT get out, do not go reaching for objects in the glove box or under the seat, and for heavens sake don't grab something that looks like a handgun or shotgun!

Yeah, here in Charlotte we have heard lots about it. Although nothing more than what's in the video. The Sheriff sounds like he's standing behind his deputy. Sheriff Bryant is quoted as saying "I would have had to take the same action he did".
I feel for the officer but like his brother told him, you did what you had to.

Generally I think today's cops are often too trigger-happy, but it does look like the old gent pulled a long gun and pointed it right at the cop.

Is it a good enough reason to for the police to shoot someone because they think they have a firearm.

DO NOT get out, do not go reaching for objects in the glove box or under the seat, and for heavens sake don't grab something that looks like a handgun or shotgun
Probably good advice, but maybe the police need some advice as well. It makes me question how the police in the UK manage to stop hundreds of people every day, and they are unarmed. You could jump out of a car here if you were stopped by the police, and lift a walking stick and point it at them without fear of being shot. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I would say someone had a bit too much coffee that night.

It makes me question how the police in the UK manage to stop hundreds of people every day, and they are unarmed. You could jump out of a car here if you were stopped by the police, and lift a walking stick and point it at them without fear of being shot. Just a thought.

You point to one incident and paint them all with the same brush? There are tens of thousands of traffic stops a day in the US that happen without incident or drama. Some traffic cops I know used to do 100 traffic stops a shift.

I would also say that the expectation for anyone to be armed in the UK is nil since the ownership of anything resembling a firearm is almost unheard of these days.

It's easy to second guess why he got out of car, but it is a bad idea as is not keeping hands visible. Thank goodness deputy was a bad shot.

I would also say that the expectation for anyone to be armed in the UK is nil since the ownership of anything resembling a firearm is almost unheard of these days.
That sounds like an argument for gun control, Are you saying less firearms less shootings police and civilians. Fortunately you are ill informed about firearms ownership in the UK the last time I looks I had four handguns a shotgun and two rifles.

You point to one incident and paint them all with the same brush? There are tens of thousands of traffic stops a day in the US that happen without incident or drama. Some traffic cops I know used to do 100 traffic stops a shift.
Would they be happy and feel safe enough to do all them traffic stops unarmed. ?

Last edited:
Extremely unfortunate incident. I watched the video and saw the glint of light along the shaft of the cane. For the briefest of moments it looked liike it could be the barrel of a long gun. Kind of a tough call. I feel sorry for the officer, and I am very glad for the old gent it was not more serious.:cool:

It's apparently now OK for any police officer who gets a bit scared to rip off several (non-aimed) rounds at a citizen, with only the merest suspicion of the presence of a weapon required for justification.

Watch it again-the 'weapon' never so much as gets raised near a firing position. And while we live in a world with rifles, we also live in a world with deaf old men who need canes to walk, and who haven't been through the 'what to do to keep a hyper-paranoid cop from shooting you at a traffic stop' training we must all have gone through.

I would love to see the 'shoot/don't shoot' scores this ace posted in the academy; I'm guessing the department had to raise its ammo budget for the number of rounds he fired.

Larry

You point to one incident and paint them all with the same brush?

Not one incident. Go to youtube and search for videos of cops shooting unarmed citizens. Dogs get shot all the time just for barking and "lunging" at cops.

Last month a boy in Georgia was shot dead while holding a Wii remote.
In California this past October a boy was shot dead holding an airsoft gun.
In January of this year, Arizona cops shot and killed an unarmed man with his hands in the air: http://www.sott.net/article/272730-Arizona-Cops-shoot-and-kill-unarmed-man-with-his-hands-in-the-air

The police in this country are completely out of control.

I feel bad for the vet and the cop both, but feelings can't be allowed to cloud the issue.
The basis of law is simply that if an action is unlawful donning a uniform and/or badge is NOT an excuse.
If a shooter shot a man on the street who had only a cane and that shooter was not a cop what do you think the county prosecutor would do?
Sad as it is, that’s exactly what the prosecutor should do.

Would you think the words "I was afraid" would hold water?

Fear and the control of fear is the job. Having been a cop myself I know about these things, and I feel a deep sorrow for the cop, but if this kind of thing is allowed it's an open door for bad cops to do the same thing for evil reasons.

That sounds like an argument for gun control, Are you saying less firearms less shootings police and civilians.

If there were no weapons present none could be used. Nothing about gun control. I do not support that.

Fortunately you are ill informed about firearms ownership in the UK the last time I looks I had four handguns a shotgun and two rifles.

I have been wrong before

Would they be happy and feel safe enough to do all them traffic stops unarmed. ?

Nope. How many cops in the UK have been shot and killed on traffic stops in the last 10 years?

Last month a boy in Georgia was shot dead while holding a Wii remote.
In California this past October a boy was shot dead holding an airsoft gun.
In January of this year, Arizona cops shot and killed an unarmed man with his hands in the air: http://www.sott.net/article/272730-A...nds-in-the-air

The one with the airsoft had removed the orange tip and pointed it at officers.
Ok, so of the hundreds of thousands of cops in this country you cite 3 shootings, one of which was at the very least marginal. So 2-3 bad shoots in 2 years, I do not call that out of control by any stretch of the imagination.

Walk a mile in my shoes.

Well said Nanuk. There seem to be a lot of those who might have never walked in those boots, but are quick to condemn. In a country of 330 million, a couple of shootings, good, bad or marginal is not what I would consider constituting "out of control" police. On the contrary I would say that indicates a lot of control and restraint on the part of police. When humans are involved, there are bound to be mistakes.

I would guess it is safe to say nobody is perfect. Nobody. It was an unfortunate encounter for all involved.:cool:

Bodycams; LE....

The metro PD in my area is finally going to have patrol officers wearing new "body-cam" DV systems.
The out-going police chief told the local media it was part of a "pilot program". :rolleyes:
I think the mayor & city council were fed up with the dozens and dozens of civil lawsuits re: misconduct, fraud, excessive force, etc.
If I were a state trooper or sworn officer Id welcome a DV camera system.
I'd be 100% in my ability & the audio/video would document what Id see & face everyday on the job.
Some cops do abuse their authority or use excessive force. Their - attitudes & problems reflect directly on the agency. The PDs are then mandated to use DV systems & dashboard cameras to avoid labor disputes/discrimination complaints etc.

Clyde

Reference the unarmed Police in Northern Ireland? Are not the RUC Armed?
Or whatever they are called now?

The firearms Instructor is on the hook for this one!

Signal your intention to pull over as soon as you see the flashing lights.
Pull over as far as you can at a safe location.
Turn on the interior lights if it is dark out.
Roll down the drivers window or all windows if they are heavily tinted.
Turn off the vehicle.
Keep your hands visible preferably on the wheel and wait for the officer.

These are simple things that can be done to minimize the risk of getting shot at a traffic stop because the officer can clearly see into the vehicle.

The minute somebody steps out of a vehicle at a traffic stop the officer has to try and figure out in fractions of a second what the intentions of the driver are.

Not obeying commands is the second thing the get did wrong.
Reaching for an object is the 3rd thing the get did wrong.

It was not a single error on the part of the vet that put in motion the shooting but a series of events.

In the deputy's mind the next thing to come was a shotgun blast.
Although I feel very bad for the vet I do feel that the officer believed his life was in imminent danger which is why he fired.

Isn't rule #1 to go home at the end of your shift?

Isn't rule #1 to go home at the end of your shift?

It seems to be, nowadays. It used to be 'serve and protect.' If the rules are that the police can preemptively shoot anyone they simply believe might be about to become a threat, I suppose this was justifiable.

If the cop were not a cop, but a citizen, would the 'thin blue line' be so quick to defend him? What I saw was a poorly trained, frightened cop who made an enormous mistake; no substantive verbal commands, no use of preclusion, poor 'weapon' recognition and, eventually, poor shooting skills (thankfully.)

Is it really necessary for other police to defend this mistake? Has the 'professional brotherhood' remained that strong, that police can't admit another cop did something wrong? It seems so-anyone who doesn't consider this a mistake obviously has a secondary agenda, IMHO.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back