How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers per 1000?

How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers?

• $100

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • $200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $250

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Greater than?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every single time anyone pays ANY price, they are casting their vote and saying “yes, I accept this.”

If you pay $15 per thousand or you pay $150 per thousand, you are saying “yup, I think you should sell them at this price.”

At this time I won't pay over 50.00/1000. Turned some down yesterday for 8.00/100, max or 2 boxes. I'm not out of primers but don't have many, would like to have 5000 SPs.

So is it possible there are a bunch of buyers hoping to sell the primers at a elevated price structure
That isn’t causing the shortage.
Manufacturers have already acknowledged that all of their primers are being kept internal in order to maintain full production of completed cartridges. They do not see the release of packaged primers until ammunition demand drops back below capacity.

The bigger question is what will happen first...
-Demand organically dropping below production capacity
-Federal regulations driving up cost of production thus reducing demand
-Federal law’s penalizing purchase/ownership via taxation/restrictions thus reducing demand

All three are coming, it will just be a matter of order and how soon

I paid $200 all in delivered for 5,000 Winchester 209 shotgun primers (which typically cost more than SPP or LPP), so that is $40/1000

Where is the "demand" originating? New gun owners may fire their first 50 rounds to acclimate themselves to a gun they really never intended to use, anyway. Then they'll buy another box of 50 and it sits until "needed." So I can't understand why the "demand" for manufactured ammo is so continual. Certainly, even the majority of gun owners who do not reload are not likely to shoot the volume that handloaders do.

I'd be more inclined to suspect Uncle Sam is purchasing ammo in greater quantities and stock-piling it so that demand stays high and prices go up enough to discourage any gun owner from buying "too much" ammo. It also impacts the handloaders because supplies are non-existent. When it begins to turn around a bit, prices may remain high, or at least have a ceiling commensurate with the amount most are willing to pay, but over time, that drag will see some handloaders reducing the intensity of their hobby. What better way is there for gun control to occur without political action being obvious?

Your pole really needed a none of the above , that said . I'd spend $100 if I had to and if I were actually out and there was civil unrest . I don't think there'd be I price I wouldn't pay , it's all relative I guess . Thank god for now I need not worry about any of that .

I have to say I feel many of you guys are straight up lying to your self . If you had no primers you would just stop shooting and never have ammo again ? I know these poles can be silly but at least try to be honest about it . I don't need primers and will not for many years likely so it would be easy for me to say the most I'd pay is $25 but I know that would be dishonest . I'd pay what ever it took "IF" I had to . Maybe the OP could have asked the question different to get more realistic answers ;)

Last edited:
For those willing to pay in excess of $250 per sleeve let me know, I may be within driving distance and do I have a deal for you:D:D:D:D- joking of course lol

My guess is once things settle down supply wise prices will never drop below $400./1000 but will most likely settle at $50.00/1000. Like most things I’ll have to live with that. This always seems to be the trend with prices, they never go back down to pre panic prices.

Poll: How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers?

$30 and I really don't need any and have not needed any for the last few shortages. I did shoot 150 of them yesterday though.

Ron

When this all started I paid $40 for small pistol mag primers, $50 for large pistol mag primers from a small store, but others have now found my honey hole. I recently paid $115 for 1,000 small pistol primers for loading my 9mm. I have plenty of 9mm ammo, but my hand loads are so much more accurate than the American Eagle and Sig ammo I have laying around.

My guess is once things settle down supply wise prices will never drop below $400./1000 but will most likely settle at $50.00/1000. Like most things I’ll have to live with that. This always seems to be the trend with prices, they never go back down to pre panic prices.
.22 never went back to pre-panic prices, but it got close. Besides, having to pay another $10-15 for primers vs not having primers or having to pay $100 for them is not the worst thing.

A local shop in upstate NY - has primers for $ 150.00 per thousand. I passed at those prices. Owner's remarks were - "Believe me, I WISH I didn't have to charge that much." Have mnfr's prices gone up that much - or is he blowing smoke?
The cost to manufacture is no different now than it was a year ago, but nobody is getting bulk prices on anything right now, it's all small order stuff and the shipping costs the same for a brick of primers or 100 of them.

It's either on him or his distributor, but why they're paying double and forcing us to pay triple doesn't make sense just because demand is high and supply is low.

Retailers raise prices to compensate for low sales volume in order to keep paying the bills. Their expenses are relatively fixed so a higher profit is needed when volume is low in order to maintain cash flow needed to pay these expenses. Volume isn’t low due to demand, it’s low based on availability so they are kind of at the mercy of the supply/demand cycle. Now that being said, I do believe there is also a little gouging involved as well.

Back