How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers per 1000?

How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers?

• $100

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • $200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $250

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Greater than?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benchmark12

Inactive
How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers per 1000?

$100
$200
Greater than?
Less?
Not at all?

Last edited:
Nothing!!!

There are a couple hundred thousand centerfire primers on hand. Still have some types of primers left from the "Clinton's gonna outlaw re-loading panic." Ain't doing any more panic buying.

It seems like it might not make sense to use primers on 9mm or 40SW. Those can still be purchased for 30-40$ a box. The other pistol rounds are over a $1 a round.

If you try to back into the primer price —- Most reloaders have brass.

Primer, powder, and projectile for 9mm. I got projectiles earlier this week for less than 15 cents each. Even if you price the powder at 10cents a round. That leaves like 40 cents for the primer.

I doubt if we are ever going to see sub $30 a thousand prices for name brand primers regularly ever again. I'm gonna guess the next benchmark is going to be in the $35-$40 range.

There seems to be a shortage of primers but when I go to our club there are no more shooters there than normally.So is it possible there are a bunch of buyers hoping to sell the primers at a elevated price structure-I just saw on one other forum I am on a man trying to sell LP primers for $250.00 per 1000-because he said "Due to the rona"whatever that means.

At those prices I don't need them. If I had a lot more than I do right now, I'd be tempted to sell some if I could easily get those prices. If there was an opportunity to get more at $35/1000, I would probably buy some, maybe one brick, but not more than two. Someone else needs them worse than I do.

$35 because that's what they were not long ago pre panic.

I'm in no rush to pay 3 to 4 times the price on primers than what is a fair market value in normal times. I will quit reloading when I run out of components before I pay those kind of scalpers prices. Reloading is supposed to save money not make ammo cost more than factory. That's only a reality when you buy right.

Back in the 90s I would pay $15 for 1000 primers, about $50 for 1000 JHP bulk bullets by Winchester or Remington and maybe $18 for a pound of powder. So less than $100 for 1000 reloads with range pick up brass that was FREE! So I was reloading 9 for around $5 a box. Every once in awhile people would brag about picking up blazer or S&B for $6 a box and I would wish I could find those deals with no work required to reload.

These days I would spend $35 on primers, $25 on powder and $130 for 1000 9mm bullets which are typical fair market values and still be under $10 a box for reloads.

Now with the current panic I'd say people are paying $40 or more for 50 practice rounds of factory 9mm.

Let's say you give $100 per 1000 primers, $260 for 1000 bullets and $30 for a pound of powder. You would be at almost $20 for a box of reloaded 9mm when fair value of factory ammo would be no more than $15 a box. DOH!

At $200 for primers and $500 for bullets with $30 for powder you would be at $36.50 a box of 9mm reloads assuming you can find free brass.

Yeah, reloading 9mm at a cost of $20 for 50 rds is going to be stupid and not worth it for most except the dedicated competition shooter and those who reload 9mm and only 9mm because it's "therapeutic" and a hobby, while reloading any other caliber is no longer therapeutic or a hobby.

Even if the normal prices for primers goes to $40 or $50 from now on, I'm still going to reload like I normally do.

I don't see factory 9mm ever going back to what was. At best it will be the same price as .40 from now on. .40/10 is really nice right now because I can buy the ammo and it costs less than 9mm does!

But do you have enough powder & boolits for a couple hundred thousand primers?

Powder: Yes. Years ago i bought a half pallet of powder from a regional retail chain that closed when Chairman Mao Mart invaded OK and northern Texas.

Bullets: Including the three five gallon buckets of pulled 55 grain military ball bullets, maybe.

Last edited:
Nothing listed in the poll. If I do start to run out (I'm good for this year), I may would snap some up at the $50ish price range. Much more than that and I'll stick with my Flintlocks and C&B revolvers.

I'll shoot more air rifle and do more archery before I'll pay the current prices for primers.
I have enough LRP, LPP, and SRP to last me a few years. SPP might be a problem, but i'll ration them out as long as I can.

Not "how much am i willing to pay" . It's "how much did i pay". At that number is about $31.99 / brick from my LGS. My current primer inventory is about 89,000 (and this is after giving away 4500 to close friends in need).

Last edited:
A local shop in upstate NY - has primers for $ 150.00 per thousand. I passed at those prices. Owner's remarks were - "Believe me, I WISH I didn't have to charge that much." Have mnfr's prices gone up that much - or is he blowing smoke?

Back