How much training is enough?

IMO a person who carries a firearm for self defense should be proficient with it. That person also should be proficient at other things that can help avoid using that firearm if at all possible to including:

-conflict resolution and avoidance (as previously posted)
-legal issues surrounding the use of a firearm (as stated previously)
-physical fitness (running specifically might be important)
-hand to hand combat

I've been reading "In the Gravest Extreme". I really like a lot of what Ayoob says -- The idea of carrying a 20 spot (accounting for inflation) wadded around a matchbook to handover to an aggressive thug is a good one. I'll pay 20 dollars every time to avoid something that could escalate. Now that I carry a gun, I'm much less likely to actually need it than I ever was before. Funny how that happens.

How much training is enough? For me it's as much as I can reasonably get, and I have a ways to go.

Having a solid firearms skillset and training is all well and good.

However, having a solid understanding of the local laws regarding the use of force (including deadly force, displaying a deadly weapon, etc), and being able to make good decisions (especially under stress), is even more critical. You can't call a bullet back, right?

There's also a subtle, but important distinction between just knowing when deadly force may be lawful/justified, and when it's also appropriate for the circumstances.

Dunno anything more than what the article states, but this just occurred in the South Bay Area of northern CA.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...-say-burglary-suspect-was-fatally?source=jBar

Last edited:
fastbolt said:
However, having a solid understanding of the local laws regarding the use of force (including deadly force, displaying a deadly weapons, etc), and being able to make good decisions (especially under stress), is even more critical. You can't call a bullet back, right?

+1, this I agree with 100%. That's a quote worth remembering.

this thread is good because it highlights the importance of training however you choose, if its a karate class or a 45 in your belt or both. However you choose, the laws governing the application of such are equally important.

Bought my very own first gun back in 64, been practicing ever since. One of these days I will get good and then I can just shoot for the fun of it but right now I'm still learning.

Personally, . . . I figure with any luck at all, . . . St. Peter will point to a wall of lock boxes, . . . tell me to deposit mine before going in.

Honestly, . . . all joking aside, . . . I hope when my time comes, . . . I'm in church, . . . or out shooting / hunting / reloading, etc.

Until then, . . . every chance I get, . . . that is both shooting and training: sometimes reading a book, taking a class, competetion, etc.

May God bless,
Dwight

Back