How much time to get long gun into action?

How much time to get long gun into action?

• None- I sleep with my weapon

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Within 10 seconds

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Within 20 seconds

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Within 30 seconds

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Within 40 seconds

• Within 50 seconds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Within 1 minute

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Within 2 minutes

• Within 3 minutes

• Within 4 minutes

• Within 5 minutes

• I sleep so heavily that the house collapsing wouldn't wake me

• However long it takes to go to the store to buy a long gun

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATN082268

Let's say you wake up in the middle of the night by a noise, you're not sure what but it is disturbing enough for you to go for your long gun (rifle, shotgun, etc), how long would it take for you to get it and be ready to engage a potential threat?

Way too long to consider.
Pistols work well indoors.
Unless of course, a bear breaks down the door and charges in.
Then rumor has it a little tinkle bell works best.

For me, it's within 30 seconds. The room that holds the gun cabinet is attached to mine and I keep both my long guns (AR 15 and VZ 58) unloaded, each with a magazine of defensive ammo very close by.

It's my handgun that falls into the "within 10 seconds" category

Not sure if I should have voted, but I keep a handgun at the ready instead of a rifle. For me it just seems to make more sense to use a more manageable sized gun in potentially tight spaces.

Assuming I remembered to keep the key to the gunsafe in the bedroom, about 30 seconds. Duty pistol is usually by the bed or on top of my gun safe at night. It's on my belt all other times.

If I left gunsafe keys downstairs??? I have a 24/47 Mauser displayed on the wall in the bedroom with a stripper clip of rounds well concealed but easily accessible. So that's my backup I suppose. Either way 30 seconds or so, though many wouldn't count the Mauser as a home defense weapon. Honestly my go to will be to use the pistol primarily... but I may would go for the rifle in the safe if I unmistakably knew I faced a very serious threat.

As long as it takes to roll over and grab my loaded home defense AR between the nightstand and bed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of my long guns are in the cabinet in the adjacent room but typically one My personal ar, and my work ar are both in my room because of space. Magazine's in, empty chamber both with lights so just gotta grab one and rack the charging handle.

I have enough ammo for my pistol I can probably shelter-in-place until the police bring long guns(which would probably be less 5 minutes and likely much less).
The long guns are locked up. I'm not sure any of them are all that great for loosing in my house.

I have a handgun at the ready and a shotgun hanging over my bed. About 10 seconds at the most. During that time frame my Jack Russell will be chewing off the intruders ankles while he is shooting off his toes attempting to hit the dog...good luck with that. :D

Long guns are not my go-to, so probably about a minute to get the safe open and mag loaded. Unless it's the zombie apocalypse or Soviets parachuting from above ( ;) ) that's not my plan.

Once I realize it's gun time, I suppose it might take me three seconds to reach the pistol on my night stand and pull the trigger. It's ready to go at all times and we don't allow children in our house.

My AR is leaning against the same night stand but I don't keep a round in the chamber, so it might take ten seconds to grab it with two hands and chamber a round, perhaps less.

Of course, you gotta' set off an atomic bomb first to wake me up.:p

Once the dog wakes me up (barks like the Mastiff he is) I am up in about ten seconds. Then decisions, decisions, which one to grab? If I think the threat is outside that is a long gun fight. Inside will be a suppressed AR pistol. If there is a real threat I am calling lots of friends first though.

It would only take a minute, but my handgun is primary and a lot quicker since it is right next to my head.

I can get to a handgun anywhere in my house in about 10 seconds. I have to open one lock to get the key to the gun cabinet to get the shotgun, so that's two locks. Depending on where I am in the house it could take 20 to 40 seconds. It would be 40 seconds at night. I'd be grabbing the nearest handgun first and probably heading for the shotgun next.

Long gun isn't easy to retrieve. Hung inside the closet above the door jam fully functional ready & willing to make some other human being/s wish they hadn't choose this house or its occupants for their tomfoolery. Sadly the wife isn't tall enough to reach it. >I can.< Besides she has a Straight Edge razor under her pillow. Stroped every so often. So its a sharp one. Honey Bun she'll slit slice & dice any and all intruder/s in the dark even so's her hubby don't have to get up out of bed and bother with.~~ :o~~;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back