How much heat/humidity before ammo is compromised?

I keep ammo in my truck guns constantly and have never had a problem with either reliable reloads or decent factory ammo.

We don't generally have high humidity here for many days in a row but I live in one of the hottest parts of Texas, near Wichita Falls.

In the military we kept ammo in our vehicles and weapons constantly when deployed and I can't remember any of it failing due to temp/humidity. We had no more misfires with the ammo we carried all the time than we did with ammo coming fresh out of a cool storage bunker.

We were still in fact shooting a lot of ordnance leftover from WWII and Korea when I first went in in 81.

As a cop I worked in Texas for 16 years, about 6 local PD, the rest fed (Ft Worth, El Paso, Rio Grand Valley). I rotated my ammo every 6 months.

Ten years ago, the last time I was stationed out here in Okinawa we ran into a bad batch of 5.56 that was blowing primers out. The only way we discovered that primers were being blown out of the cases was that the M-4's were jamming after 2 or 3 loose primers got behind the sears. I have absolutely no way to prove that heat or humidity caused this. It was likely a bad lot of ammo. This was one occurrence in two years and close to 300,000 rounds (I did not personally shoot all 300,000. I rotated through two deep reconnaissance platoons that did a TON of shooting).

That is a brass problem, not a humidity problem. All US military ammo is sealed with lacquer, most civilian ammo is not.

I live in the most humid city and state in this country.

For safe measures I swap out ammo after 6 months.

If I get caught in the rain (piña colada song just popped in my mind) I make sure to do it sooner. Chances are that if it's quality ammo, it's good to go. But I don't like adding chances I could avoid.

Back