How much drop for 20ga turkey loads?

my 12 ga turkey shotgun puts 120+ # 9 tss ( 1-3/4 oz # 9,s) in a five inch center circle on a 8.5x11" turkey target with 28 in the neck-head at a honest 40 yards. tc encore turkey barrel with a .640 choke and 2.5x leupold scope.

Last edited:
I shot my 1st turkey with a Savage 24 OU 20g-3"/22. 3" #5s at about 30yds. Rolled it and
knocked feathers out. Bird ran down over the hill and another Hunter shot it. Public area in
WVA eastern mountains. Never used 20g again. If you do keep it under 30yds. Shot many with 2 3/4" 12mag loads of #5s with no problem but still short of 40yds.

I had the same gun and it comes with a Cylinder bore - good to 20 yards

turkey zero

A shotgun pattern is such a fickle thing that worrying about "drop" is pointless.
Your working with a cloud of shot varying in size (expanding) depending on distance from target to muzzle. Drop at small pellet range for gobblers is nothing to worry about.

My drill for zeroing a gobbler gun is to shoot at 20 yds from a solid bench, much as one would zero a rifle. Use standard field or game loads and shoot at a high visiblity aiming point (2"?) on a 24" or so clean backer. At that distance, the shot cloud will yield a pattern maybe volleyball size, 9-12". Adjust sights/sight system to land this small pattern as best centered as possible around the aiming point. A good combo may well obliterate the center.

I then back off to 30yds, and shoot a benched turkey load to see if all is well, and adjust as necessary, but often is not. At 30 yds my guns and loads will shoot basketball sized patterns. I will occassionally shoot to 40 yds, but by then beach ball sized patterns make interpretation a bit of guess work.

Back