How Much Consideration do you give average people in your training?

If you want to learn the potential options regarding appropriate possible responses to some life threatening emergency situation, get some actual training.

Preferably from an experienced trainer who can present, frame and thoroughly explain your potential reasonable options within the law, and help you learn to develop a frame of reference for making good decisions in bad situations, without further endangering yourself, your loved ones and other innocent persons in the process.

The "What if? game", done without knowledge, training and experience, may be an enjoyable way to entertain yourself, but it's not going to be a practical substitute for actually learning what you could, and should, do under real world circumstances.

In other words, what good do you think you're achieving by engaging in 'hypothetical situations' if your training & knowledge is also hypothetical? :confused:

You might also want to try and acquire at least a working grasp and understanding of how the laws work in your area, as well.

The problem with trying to pretend you can arrive at a correct "answer" regarding practical, lawful actions and effective tactics by engaging in theorizing and guesswork, is that you don't know what you don't know. Hard to make good decisions when you don't know the how & why of deciding things. ;)

Trying to herd people somewhere might seem laudable, but what if your actions turn out to cause people's deaths, and it could've been avoided by doing something different?

Identifying yourself as "the police" may cause you to be charged with impersonating law enforcement. In CA, misidentifying yourself as law enforcement is considered ample ground to have your CCW license revoked, even if you're not charged with the crime of impersonating a peace officer. The CA DOJ CCW application even specifically states this is a "no-no" (non-technical lay person's term :) ) for licensees.

Lastly, but no less importantly, being shot by anyone - "active shooter", armed robbery suspect, other CCW licensee or the local police, or any combination thereof - is still being shot. The same thing applies to your loved ones.

You don't want to take some unplanned and/or unreasonable (and untrained) action which could increase the possibility of you, and/or your loved ones (or any innocent third persons) being shot, right?

Reading books, magazine articles and browsing the internet for info and video clips may be all well and good, but if you really want to learn about these sorts of things, consider getting some actual training, from an actual trainer (with some certified training knowledge and experience in the subject matter), with some actual experience. Take it from there. Don't neglect the potential for looking into some sort of insurance coverage for your potential actions, and obtaining some actual legal advice.

LE, as a whole, have the benefit of receiving training in these things, and usually have access to some sort of legal coverage on an individual basis (like through an association, union, etc), even if their agencies possesses coverage and have legal advice available from state, county or city attorneys who can act to represent the agencies in situations involving use-of-force matters.

LE may also have a requirement to undergo periodic in-service training in many subjects (often called advanced officer training, which may required in order to meet any state certification standards every year or two).

Even so, with all that access to training and knowledge, LE can still sometimes make mistakes. Mistakes of fact and law and violating policy are difficult to defend, but notwithstanding those things, making bad decisions under stress still happens. How much more likely might making bad decisions be if someone without all that training and access to knowledge might be involved?

Chance favors the prepared mind, right? (Quote attributed to Louis Pasteur, but repeated often enough to have seemingly entered the general public consciousness. ;) )

Just some thoughts. I know this is a tactics and training sub-forum in a popular public gun forum, and everybody enjoys a good informal discussion about such things, but remember that it's not an intended substitute for actual training. Just like it's not intended to be taken as a substitute for consulting with an actual licensed attorney at law when it comes to legal matters, right? :cool:

I'm intrigued by the hero complex that some folks seem to have.

Generally it only seems to apply to shooting types of scenarios. It makes me wonder. Suppose there was a severe food shortage and people were dying. You were wise however, and foresaw the crisis. You stocked up and prepared.

Would you give away your food to people who had ample opportunity to see what was coming and prepare themselves if it put you and your family at risk? I think not.

Does anyone have examples of this actually happening, especially, often enough that is actually a concern?
Statistics or examples? There are a fair number of examples of off duty officers being shot when on-duty officers arrive at the scene. I'm not sure the media cares enough about normal folk to find much of "civilians." Also, "dead men tell no tales." I wonder how many times this has happened and the story was re-written by the surviving "bad guy."

One of our contributors (a LEO) recounted a story of a guy coming up to a mall shooting and running towards the mall with handgun out. He was trying to save his sweetie. Luckily, some officer stopped another from shooting him.

The number of civilian interventions with CHLs is rather low, so we don't have good evidence. But the point about blue on blue is well taken and well known.

Recent instance of an apparently mistaken identification of a non-uniformed cop intentionally shot & killed by a uniformed cop.

Yes, it happens all too often.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...uot_deliberately_quot__shot_by_colleague.html

It's been a topic of discussion throughout the 34 years I've carried a badge, and I've listened to it mentioned in various training for many years. I attended a class dedicated to plainclothes/UC tactics, including trying to avoid being killed by other cops, back in '02 ... and that was sadly within a week of a local cop being shot and killed in UC clothes by a uniformed cop responding to a shots-fired situation. Unfortunately, the cops both belonged to the same large agency, and didn't know each other.

Not hard to imagine an untrained (in LE tactics and specific agency policies) private citizen being shot and seriously injured or killed if caught up in a dynamic active shooter incident, or even a "regular" robbery or other violent crime, if holding/shooting a gun when local cops arrive ... or even if viewed as a perceived "threat" by some other CCW licensee.

I certainly think about the potential when carrying my LEOSA weapon, and especially since I'm living where I didn't serve as a cop.

This is always a fascinating discussion. At first glance it looks like there are two camps; one says getting out of harm's way if possible is the only reasonable choice; the other says allowing innocents to be killed and doing nothing to stop it is unacceptable. This is too simple though. The decision to try to save others in an active shooter situation, or who to feed in a limited food scenario depends on many factors, some of which can't be known before hand. We can wrestle with the moral and ethical issues and train to the best of our ability, but only when we are in the fight, based on the information we have in the moment, can we make those decisions.

I am a father and grandfather. I understand my responsibility to my family. I have been given the opportunity to learn to protect myself and others. I have the means to so. I take that very seriously. Whether I join the fight or slip out the back is a question I hope never to face.

I am by no means an expert on this topic but I have had some active shooter training as a result of my employment.

I work as an armed security contractor for the city government and even though active shooter response is part of my duties my primary mission in such an event is not to find and engage the shooter it's to hit the emergency alarm on my radio and get as many of the client employees out of the building as I can and if at all possible lock down what ever part of the building the shooter is in. The only time I am expected to engage the shooter is in direct defense of myself or the client employees.

This topic comes up frequently on gun forums. I've actually read responses that state that permit holders have a civic duty to respond and "protect the flock" if needed and some actually that permit holders have a duty to carry enough life insurance to support their family if they're killed while performing their "civic duty".

Obviously I disagree. I am not equipped to go hunting an active shooter through a Walmart, I'm not trained for it, I don't have qualified immunity if I shoot the wrong person. I don't have legal aid through my job (unless I'm at work) I don't have worker's comp or a police pension to support my family if I'm killed.

The odds that I'm going to be in a Walmart or a restaurant without my wife are almost nil. The odds of my being in a movie theater or mall are nil. If I'm with my wife my first duty is to get her for safety and I'm not going to leave my family to go rescue yours.

When would I intervene in an active shooter situation?

If I or my family were being specifically targeted and evacuation/evasion was not a reasonable option.

OR

If all of the following were true:

If I were certain of the circumstances of the situation. (Knew for sure who the bad guy(s) was/were due to obvious circumstances--e.g. he's shooting kids randomly--or because I watched the situation develop from the beginning).

AND

If there were no one present to whom I had a primary duty to evacuate/get to safety. Wife/family/etc.

AND

If I believed that the circumstances were such that my intervention was reasonably likely to make a positive difference in the outcome. (i.e. I'm not going to start popping off shots with my subcompact carry gun at multiple bad guys armed with rifles who are at a significant distance and surrounded by innocents.)

So today I was asked what would I do regarding other people if a shooter starter randomly shooting people in the front of the grocery store while I was in the back.

Given the distance between me and the shooter, my answer is clear - I would leave through one of the store's rear exits. I am not a cop. I am not trained in how to close in on an active shooter who would be about 200 feet away from me. I have no backup. There is no way to distinguish me from a bad guy. Further, I am not responsible for the lives of people who choose not to protect themselves.

Heartless answer - perhaps. But, it's the correct one.

Back