How much can you learn just from reading/videos?

Jimmy96a1, I agree completely because I just got into handguns and self defense a few years ago(2007). Youtube videos and alot of studying reading and practice. I am very fortunate to have enough property where I can go out my backdoor and practice whenever I feel like it and I have done just that from practicing my draw stroke to shooting tight groups on paper. I am sure I can refine some of my defensive tactics but at this point I do not feel it is necessary although I am taking a Handgun skills class in Dec. to just mainly see if I am doing anything decidely wrong and if I am I will be willing to correct it on my own.

You can't watch yourself and that is where a professional instructor shines. In the first two hours of my first class, I picked up two techniques that solved some vexing weaknesses in my skill set.

:eek:

I've found both books and videos to be helpful. I practice with snap caps and feel like it's been time well spent. Of course, practicing with live ammo at the range is an order of magnitude better, but a lot less convenient than your own living room.

PAX hits it on the head. I read everything I can and watch shows like The Best Defense and tape the drills. But, until I actually attended a training class given by an instructor who came two years ago from Tucson to give a pretty darn intensive class I realized just how valuable it is having someone watch me. I traveled to Austin to take a class given by one of James Yeager's instructors last year and my Christmas present from my wife will be a trip to either Albuquerque or Tucson to take Mas Ayoob's course in 2014.

Back