How much ammo is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me personally... I like to buy low so I just buy it when it is on sale and keep some on hand in case of a SHTF scenario. Boy Scout Motto... Be Prepared.

If the SHTF to the extreme... I figure 1-2k rounds of various .12ga, 9mm (what I currently own) would do me until things worked themselves out.

*edit* Oh and I have a thing about shelf life so I cycle my ammo and emergency supplies to make sure they don't get stale...

I have (like others) picked some up every time i visit wally world (22 ) that is. I would guess i have around 10,000 22's. As for 45 ACP and 308 and 223. I have the components to load thousands of each,but at this time they are just components on the shelf. Maybe 200 rounds of each loaded.

Unless we're talking about TEOTWAWKI, can't you just order some ammo and have it delivered?
Up until late 2008...that was a valid position. A lot of people got a wake-up call over the next year or so.

I have enough components and the equipment to make my own ammo, so I don't feel compelled to keeep thousands of rounds at hand.

If I can't leave the house, I don't expect to be doing any shooting. So I guess normal self defense needs would be met by well less than a 100 rounds. In any case, I have more than enough handy.

Based on what I have for firearms, it would be about what I have on hand now. If I need more than this, then I'm probably toast anyway:

2000 rds 22lr
100 rds of a good 9mm hp defense ammo
400 rds 9mm fmj
100 rds of a good 38spl hp defense ammo
400 rds 38spl fmj
100 rds .357mag hp defense round
200 rds .357mag fmj
200 rds 20 ga. bird shot
50 rds 20 ga. buckshot
I figure this would cover about anything, self defense and hunting for food be it birds or small game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back