How many still shoot .22s? Which one(s)? How Often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9x19

I love my Browning Buck Marks. I have two, both standard models, one 4 inch and one 5.5 inch. The 5.5 has a B-Square mount and Tasco AccuDot mounted on it. These guns get almost daily use, while my Glocks only get weekly use. Mine shoot the Federal bulk packed hollow points the best. Great guns, good values, I love the .22 rimfire.

I use my S&W 2206 every 2nd Sunday in club target shoot. Also in bowling pin rapid fire. Anyone who doesn't own a .22 is missing out on some great fun !...HS

Use Ruger old model standard model and 10/22. Looking to get a stainless double action 2" or 3" barrel. Shoot as often as I can.

Ya mean there is something else besides the .22? <G> For the same price as 1000 rounds of .45 , I bought a .22 and 1000 rounds of ammo. Guess what I shoot the most often? Besides there is more challange in putting all those little tiny holes close together than the big ones.

I have a 20 year old H&R 9 shot revolver that I bring out to the range at least twice a year.

I take the Ruger MarkII with me every time I go to the range. I do all my normal drills with the H&K. Then I spend 20 min just working on breathing and trigger control at one and a half inch targets at 7 yrds. Just finishes out the day with some fine motor control.

Bubba

I shoot a Colt Cadet veyr frequently. I removed the sights and only point shoot with it. It is great fun, good practice, and super cheap!
I have had a lot of magazine probelms though, there was an indentical defect in 3 magazines taht I purchased in two different places. Guess Colt's machine had a hiccup on omonth or something, other than that it's been great. In fact, I am seriously considering ordering a suppressor for it, since I am about ot venture into class II/III land for the first time.

I have a Remington 514 single shot .22 bolt action rifle. I shoot it all the time. Every week I go through a box. Remington VIPERS work the best. Killed a possum with it recently - used the new Quik-Shok load... looked like I had shot it with my .40! I bet the VIPERS are second place now - but I have shot them for years...

A Ruger single-six, probably the most fun pistola there is.

For practical varmit control, my Ruger 10/22 is fired almost every day.

DC: for pure fun nothing beats my .22 Davies Derringer with .22 BB caps. I have let many people try it, and it has never failed to produce a grin on their face. It is especiall effective if fired immediately after a heavy cal center fire.

My High Standard Victor gets almost daily use. It does prefer the Federal 812 to the bulk Federal, but is fed bulk if 812's aren't on sale somewhere. I also have a Diamondback, but like many of its kind it has an unusually large barrel bore. The only ammo it really shoots well is the (oversize) Lapua Midas L. With that kind of taste, it doesn't get shot often... light 38 Special or 9X19 reloads are cheaper. In rifles, I have a Brno ZKM452 which I use on small game and a 1922M2 with a Litschert 15X which when shot off bags, and after a simple headspace adjustment to .0415" is willing to send 5 Tenexes into less than 5/8"@100 yards on a calm day if I do my part.

22 are great for low cost target practice. Remember that sight picture and trigger control are the two most basic fundamentals of marksmanship. I found that the humble 22 serves well in this regard.

For that reason, I bought a Colt Diamondback revolver, a Colt Ace conversion kit for the 1911 and a CZ-75 Kadet conversion kit. With the Colt, I can practice a lot of DA shooting. Now, if someone else pays for the .38/.357, I don't mind shooting 300-500 rounds in one session. It's a matter of what one can afford.

The semiautomatic conversion kits are wonderful to train on. You get the heft of the regular gun, trigger pull and function with virtually no recoil (except for the Colt Ace - thanks to Williams' floating chamber design).

The only problem is that no one makes a full size .22 pistol which is DA/SA like the Beretta 96, Sig P220 et al. About the closest I've come is the miniscule Beretta Bobcat .22 LR.

And for those of you who laugh, I've trained cops who were poor shooters with .22. When an agency is poor or cheap, it may be the only cost effective alternative before you break out that last case of 40 or 45.

I make it to the range 2 times or so a mouth. In 22's I almost always take the Ruger 77/22, Ruger 22/45 and the Ruger Single Six. Other 22's the make the trip from time to time is the Ruger 10/22 Remengton Model 511, and the North American Arms Mini-Revolver. "Bigger" Handguns and rifles are fired, but i do spend a lot of time with the 22's because they are fun and inexpensive to shoot. (New to Firing Line and fist time poster)

Yes, quite often

Ruger model 1( I call it a 1 & 1/2 it is a model 1 with 4" barrel upper and model 2 lower it was a tranistion model I think)

Ruger 10/22 with 24" bull and Fajen stock & 24x scope on low mount weaver rings

Remmington mod 41 Target Master single shot, Leaf sights.

all of the above are using standard vel. 22lr

I shoot maybe once a week and take at least 1 22 every other time.

Still my favorite round for fun.
Have to agree with DC on the single six.
also plink with a first gen Rem. Nylon -66

My shooters are a Ruger Mark II bull barrel that has been worked on by a local smith.
(most accurate pistol I own) and and old Rem
521-T bolt action with a Lyman peep sight. If you can see the target with this old rifle it will hit it.

I still love to shoot the 22 and so do my two sons(12&15 years old) I bought a new Marlin 60 with a 4X scope from K-Mart for $100!!! In 4 outings we went through 500 rounds; total cost $8.99. I owned at different times: a 4" Ruger MK I, 6" Colt semi-auto, and a 6" S&W Model 17(K-22). All have been sold. With my sons shooting with me I need a 22 handgun to afford it. I found a used stainless Ruger MK II. This is my next purchase!

My bro and I have had a lot of fun with the Nylon 66 and the Marlin m60... both are great guns. Fun factor is very high. I remember seeing an add a long time ago for the Nylon 66 with a guy holding the rifle while sitting ontop of a mountain of wood blocks... each block punched through by a shot from the rifle. Cool add.
If HK made a similar advertisment with a black clad, balaclava wearing operator on top of a mountain of... okay, that would be discusting...

Remember: Never eat baclava while wearing your balaclava.

I love to shoot 22's. They are a great way to get range time without paying out the nose for it. I reload, but 22 are still a lot cheaper than my handloads. I have a 22 conversion kit for my 1911 and am able to go to the range on a more regular schedule simply because of cost. helped my shooting come along much faster than without.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back