How many states are really profirearms in their laws?

Larry P.--thanks for the response. My info about the true bill came from a local news report during a visit to Austin. But I never quite believe the media anyway, and hopefully this is an example why.

The details you added about the incident are, to me, on target--I omitted them, not wishing to make my post longer than it was. Still, a question remains about whether or not the thief was turning around when he was shot. I don't believe that either of us mentioned the important fact that the incident occurred late at night. Darkness seems to have affected the perception of the shooter. Thus according to the best-case scenario (from the standpoint of the shooter), the licensee, who could not see clearly in the surrounding dark, even with streetlights, believed the thief was armed and was turning toward him threateningly. He shot before the thief could turn farther, rather than waiting to see if he'd be shot. This placed the bullet in the thief's back, although one report said "behind the shoulder," which carries a different connotation. The media apparently expected the licensee to refrain from shooting until after the thief had turned fully around, clearly revealed a gun, and shot first, like in a western movie.

Anyway, IMO, the licensee should not have pursued the thief in the first place. He should simply have let the thief go after the break-in, rather than to try to fill in for the police or act like a hero. Pursuing the thief ultimately led to a second but related event, the scenario above, which required deadly force, at least in the mind of the licensee.

BTW, I'm convinced that the anti-self defense zealots and their media allies would have been infinitely happier if the thief had killed the licensee rather than the other way around.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited July 15, 1999).]

JJR,

Idaho has one other restriction, its legal to carry in a bar, even open carry, but you cannot be intoxicated at the same time.

Larry P.,

If you really want to move to Idaho and want to live somewhere warm, try Lewiston. There's a paper mill there and you have to get used to the smell, but the climate is remarkably warm. Its only 700 ft above sea level and its literally designated a sea port. I stays pretty warm there even in the winter. Idahoans jokingly refer to it as the "banana belt".

Maine has reasonable gun laws. Since hunters 'from away' bring so much income to the state coffers, the legislature is reluctant to pass stringent possession and carry laws. You need a 'shall issue' CCW, but getting one is easy: basically pass a NICS check and pay your local chief LEO $20.00...good for four years. You can't carry openly in certain political subdivisions...mainly the cities. Possession of a loaded rifle in a vehicle, or in the 'woods and waters, field and forest' without a hunting license will get you busted, but for illegal hunting. This could cost you your firearm and your vehicle. There is an exception for CCW, and for disabilities. Cased and empty is the rule for long guns in cars. Otherwise, only the Federal BS applies. We do have one prominent anti-gunner in Maine, Portland's relentlessly self-advertising police chief Michael Chitwood...formerly nationally famous as Philadelphia's 'heroic' 'cop without a gun'. Portland and most of its surrounding county is a bedroom for the Boston elite; and it's thoroughly polluted by 'Massachusettsism'. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

Kentucky has no purchase laws beyond the federal laws, open carry is allowed and CCW is shall issue. Even without a permit, loaded carry in a car is OK as long as the gun is visible or in the glovebox. Glovebox does not have to be locked.

I'll put a qualified plug in for OK. We seem to send pretty pro-gun people to DC and keep the rest here so we can keep an eye on them. If you check the GOA page for Senate votes on the Crime Bill and other gun control legislation, we do very good. Not bad in the House either. At home, compared to many states we have it pretty good. Reciprocal CCW agreements with Texas,Utah,Arkansas,and Wyoming. The law changes every time the legislature shows up for work at the same time. For instance the law as written gives me the right as a CCW permit holder to use lethal force to defend my spouse, child, employer or employees. What about my mother or sister? Time to write another letter.

In North Carolina we have shall-issue concealed carry.

BUT:

We have "One handgun per month."

And, in order to buy a handgun, you must have a Purchase Permit from the sheriff, which includes a $5 fee, and a 5 day waiting period.

In addition, and I quote, "Prior to issuing a permit, the Sheriff must fully satisfy himself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise, that the applicant is of good moral character."

Sounds rather subjective to me. Even if you are not prohibited by the specifics in the legislation, the sheriff can deny you anyway, based on whatever. Any other states have this clause in their purchase requirements?

Interestingly, there is no "good moral character" clause in the wording of the CCW legislation. Therefore (as I interpret it), if you're so morally bankrupt that NC won't let you buy a handgun (i.e. not to be trusted with the safety of your fellow citizens), you can still get a CCW for a handgun you already own. And you're still trusted to behave yourself with long guns, for which there is no such restriction.

I don't get it.

-boing

Back