how many spare magazines is enough??

By far the "best bang for the buck" training I have had is an afternoon playing paintball.

There is nothing like that painful "SMACK" on the cheek or in your ear canal to bring home to you that if you had pulled that stupid move for real you would be DEAD!!!!!

Paintball has obvious limitations, but it inflicts pain, and pain cuts through the crap and teaches at the gut level.

The answer to your original question is that you should have two of your main pistols, and three mags each for each pistol, so you need a minimum of SIX mags of hi-caps when the Clinton crap collapses.

I have mostly Colt 45s so a beer case full is enough of those. Also Colt AR15s. I have maybe 25 20 rounders and a dozen thirty rounders. The various other self loaders I have two or three apiece. That covers general shooting, range, etc.

To carry a pistol, what goes in the grip is all I want. I am not a police officer with a Sam Browne belt, pouches, etc. Actually, a small hammerless revo is my favorite self defense weapon. HTH

Some is good, more is better, and...

...too much is just about enough. ;)

Personally, I think that 3 mags/gun is a bare minimum for a belt gun, and 2 mags/gun for a pocket gun. More is better. Fill a box. When it's full, fill another one.

So far I have 4 magazines for my carry gun, an H&K USP45c, with one more on order. I hope to eventually have at least six, but am limited by my budget.

When I am out and about I only carry one spare magazine. I may end up throwing a loaded magazine or two in the glove compartment once I have enough hanging around.

Magazines are the heart of a semiauto pistol ... unless it uses an internal magazine and/or stripper clips.

Because of that, I like to make sure I have at least 5 or 6 functional magazines for each of my defensive pistols. I've been known to have many, many more.;)

What I think is interesting is how the major manufacturers have mostly started to supply 2 magazines for "civilian" pistols and 3 magazines for "L/E" pistols. Perhaps they're noticing a trend among their customer base ... finally. Remember when only 1 magazine came with a pistol, and spare magazines were often something that your local gunstore had to order for you?

When I recently bought my G26 it came with 2 magazines (promotional sale, not an L/E order), and I bought a third ... and a week later I bought 2 more. That way I can have at least 1 magazine dedicated for the Range, if not 2 ... and 3 for carry use. There are times I only carry a single spare, however.

When I own at least 6 magazines I usually keep 2 dedicated for Range use ... after ALL of them have been function tested for the first several hundred rounds.

I can't speak to the subject of diminutive pocket guns in .22, .25, .32 & .380, because I haven't carried 3 of those calibers in years (never owned a .32), and when I did I only had 1 spare. That was because I didn't shoot them nearly as much as I did the "larger" defensive pistols, and generally carried a larger caliber weapon, anway.

I often see folks attend a CCW class with only a single magazine (it's been previously decided that we won't "require" folks bring at least 2 magazines). If for no other reason, I think at least 1 spare magazine should be owned & carried for the purpose of resolving magazine related functioning issues.

Magazines should be inspected frequently, properly cleaned & maintained (including magazine spring replacement as needed), and replaced if they become the least bit unreliable/unserviceable.

Personal risk assessment and equipment selection is something that only you can determine, and the more access you have to proper instruction & training, the more informed you'll probably be when you make your decision.

Years ago I got in the habit of always carrying two reloads for whatever gun I was carrying. Didn't matter if it was a 5 shot snubbie or a hi-cap auto. Why? No particular reason at all. Its just what I'm comfortable with. Do I really need all that ammo? Good Lord, I hope not!
If there's one thing I have learned its that Mr. Murphy made a name for himself by always showing up at the worst possable moment. I've had a top quality, reliable magazine suddenly come unglued on me. Its somewhat disconcerting to have a spring, mag parts and ammo spilling out of your gun. :eek: If you carry an auto you need at least one spare mag for no other reason that the possability of mechanical failure.
As to how many total to own for each firearm, that's entirely up to you and your budget. ;)

You probably can't have "enough" magazines. Magazines are a consumable item.

I have sixteen magazines which are rotated among two identical 1911's. Ten of these magazines are the only ones which hit the ground during training, matches and the like. I bought them from Metalform a few years ago.

Each pistol also has six carry magazines (each, total of 12) three of which are rotated and tested monthly. These magazines came with the pistols (Springfield Professionals) and are identical to the training magazines, but are kept in pristine condition.

On any given day, I carry three magazines, one in the 1911, two on the belt, total of 22 rounds, 7 in each magazine and one in the chamber. On occasions when I must carry something smaller due to dress requirements, such as my P7M8, I still have three mags.

Why so many? Because magazines can and do fail ! They do not last forever if you use them. I have had the bottom blow out of four magazines in two years during speed relaods in training.

If you want to carry 10 rounds, you don't need an extra magazine.

I disagree.
"Two is one, one is none..."

A little bit of confusion

It seems there are two trains of thought here. The first is how many magazines to actually have and the second is how many magazines to actually carry. Simple enough to answer.

On count one, it is good to have two sets of magazines. One set for training and one set for deployment. The training magazines are just that, used for training only. The deployment magazines are used for actual duty or carry.

On count two, how many magazines to carry. This is better answered by understanding the mission of the weapon system. If it is for concealed carry and depending on the depth of carry you may not have the luxury to carry spare magazines. If it is for deployment then you might be able to carry more and it not be a concern due to the overt nature of the mission.

It is nice to say carry as many as you can, but that train of thought is not practical for most. You need to take a hard look at what you want to accomplish by carrying a weapon. Based off that, you can better decide what to carry.

Later,

Considering that most gunfights take place at ten feet or less and with 2.5 rounds expended, I would say two. Even with Clinton clips (10 rounders).
Only because 99 percent of the time when a semi auto malfs, its because of magazine problems.

I just bought a Charles Daly hi power. It came with 1 10 round magazine. I purchased 1 13 round magazine, and 3 20 round magazines. I feel that this will buy me enough time to get to a better gun.

Shooting is over and you're alive = enough magazines.

Shooting is over and you're dead = not enough magazines.

I carry a 1911 (Kimber Custom II). I have been shooting pistols since I was six (almost 30 years). I am not saying I am the best of anything, but by means of much practice I know that I can that at which I shoot, especially under stress. I'm not saying I'll deliver 1.5" groups under fire, but I can get them where they need to go. Therefore, being limited to 8 rounds per magazine doesn't bother me.

Having said that, I will say that I carry two spare magazines. One is for a reload, if needed, and the other is in case of malfunction. My total magazine count is ten. I have five eight round magazines for carry and five ten round magazines (which have been thoroughly tested for reliability) for home defense. The ten rounders usually only see daylight in extreme cases such as natural disaster when we go extended periods without power where prowlers and looters may become a problem.

I think the number of magazines you carry should be in direct proportion to your situational awareness - the more aware you are, the less likely you are to put yourself in a situation where you will need your weapon. If you have poor situational awareness, though, your other skills are likely poor and no amount of ammo will help you. For home defense I like to have what I think will be enough to help me get to my rifle and/or shotgun, which is better suited for that purpose.

In reality, there is no one correct answer to your question. Just practice and be prepared.

If it is for concealed carry and depending on the depth of carry you may not have the luxury to carry spare magazines.
Thats nicely put Jeff. Someone actualy said they carry 6 minimum mags for their main and 3 for their back up...I for one don't carry a breif case on a day to day basis and have no idea where I'd put all that fire power. I'm glad I'm not the only one to say this either but, I carry the 16+1 in my pistol (I check my mag for reliability once a week)...if 17 shots won't get me out of a situation (because that is my main goal...not hanging around playing OK corral) then it'll have to be in the good Lords hands. Just for the simple reason that I can't think of a scenerio where you'd need 17 rounds, and surely not 11 mags of ammo like stated above..(6+3+one in each) unless you were spraying bullets like some cheap B rated action movie. (that being the case you shouldn't be carrying to begin with) Of course this is where the training everyone spoke of comes in to play...You need to be able to use your surroundings as cover and make your shots count, while trying to figure out your best course out of the situation...My thinking may be wrong, but thats just my .02..(and I'm prolly due back change :p )

Just like wearing a big rebel flag T-shirt to court will impact the decision-making process of the judge and jury, carrying an overly large amount of firepower will almost certainly have an impact on the DA's decisions. While it may not be part of the official reason charges were pressed (for the exact same reasons a judge wouldn't say, "I gave him the maximum sentence because of his shirt"), it's foolish to think that it doesn't affect the decision.

Of course, the flip side is trying to guess what pushes your DA's buttons and what doesn't. He might not bat an eye at a 15-shot Glock 19 (thinking of it as simply "a pistol") but he might raise an eyebrow at someone carrying a "Dirty Harry special" Model 29 S&W.

That said, I think carrying 6 magazines will pretty much get a DA's attention across the board. I don't think it would escape notice even here in good ol' Bama. In other, more unfriendly, places the DA may try to use it to help establish intent. ("Why would you need *that* much firepower if you didn't expect trouble?")

Remember, this is the guy/gal who basically makes a single, unilateral decision as to wheather or not your life, post-shooting, can be put back together or not. It would pay to check into his/her record regarding self-defense cases and not do things that would piss him/her off too badly. I wouldn't necessarily choose my weapon based on said record, but I would definitely pay attention to things that seem to end up in cort more than others (e.g., the aforementioned 6 reloads, etc.)

YMMV, obviously.

It depends on the gun design.

It depends on the individual gun.

It depends on the mag design.

It depends on the individual mag.

It depends on the ammo design.

It depends on the consistency of ammo.

And it depends on carry habits.

I have one pocket dedicated to the gun and its holster. Not even a piece of lint gets to share that pocket. My cell phone, three keychains, wallet, hard pack of smokes, Zippo, change, memos, and pen or pens go in the other three pockets. Needless to say, there is no way I am putting a mag in one of those other pockets and pulling it out by mistake instead of my cell phone, or trying to fish around it while trying to get something else out of my pocket, or trying to find it in all that mess.

So for me, carrying this way, with this gun and this ammo and this mag, it's no spares. The hardest part is feeding the top round of a fully-loaded mag after shooting the one in the chamber. This is easy to test for. Put one up the spout, slap home a full mag, shoot once. Drop the mag, top it off, shoot once. After I feed that top round 100 times without fail, I'm satisfied.

I have at least 4 magazines for all my SA, except the P32. For most I like to have at least 5 or 6.

As for carry, I only carry one extra mag. I cannot imagine a scenario in which a CHL holder is going to get into a gunfight and need more. I am fully persuaded that if I ever have to use one in self-defense it will be at close range, fast and over in a few seconds. Remember the BG doesn't want the police there.

As for training, you will get some in a good CCW course. I do not think one needs the expensive "Thunder Ranch" type courses. If you want one then go to it. But if you get a good CHL class and have a friend who is proficient who will work with you that is all you need.

Don't worry about getting in a fight in a building and having to clear rooms, or a parking lot and shooting and running and needing three guns and 4 magazines. It is not going to happen for a CHL. You are using the gun in self defense, and it is not necessary to try to apprehend robbers and muggers. That is what the police do. Your fight, if ever, will be at feet and for a few seconds. When the threat is over, then the fight is over for you.

I have no quarrel with those who take the good courses, and I am sure they get some good and helpful information, but it is not needed.

Jerry

I have a friend who carries 6 spares with his 1911. That's about right for a 1911 (maybe not these days, but bad basic mag design is what made me quit fooling with the 1911 years ago).

Back