How many shots is enough

Each round has a legal liability involved. If you spew out 17 rounds and only one hits the threat, that means that 16 rounds hit something / someone else.

Get a gun that you shoot well, and practice with it.

The first step in self defense is to have a gun that you can and will carry (along with any special pieces of paper demanded by a government that is violating your rights). The second step is to get sufficient practice and training to be proficient with that gun.

These two steps are the most important. They automatically help you sort out what's too big or what's too powerful for your personal needs or abilities. A distant third step is to find the right balance between capacity and caliber for you, and that might end up being more psychological than anything else.

For instance, I have this quirk about wanting a regular carry revolver to never be less than a six-shooter. Five shots just feels funny to me but that's how most small-frame revolvers come. So I naturally fell in love with the .32 magnum. It trades a little mass for energy, letting you pack an extra round in the chamber while matching or exceeding the power of a .38 special. In reality, the biggest function served by that extra round is psychological. It makes me happy and more confident in my ability to defend life, limb, and property. I hope to never be in a situation to do that but I suppose the extra round might come in handy if I am. On the other hand, for every situation where I'd need the sixth round; I'd need a seventh, eighth, ninth, or hundredth. The point is that we aren't talking about being a combat-ready soldier and there is always a potential situation that is more than we can handle. What we are talking about is using inherently limited concealable handguns for self-defense in the worst reasonable case. So, back to steps 1 and 2...

I only read the first page of posts.My reply has likely been covered.I have no resume,I am not a Veteran,or former LEO.I've never been in a gunfight.

From a civilian standpoint,after an initial few shots,getting to cover might be better than standing and empying a big magazine.

I'm assuming the bad guys have guns and will shoot me.If Im not behind cover when 7 rds is gone,I am likely being hit myself.

I'm not saying 14 to 21 rounds is not a good thing,I'll take it!

I'm saying time exposed is dangerous

I have no idea how many round are required, for I have no idea how many bad guys might confront you.

Here's a better question: how would you avoid gunfighting?

Here's a better question: how would you avoid gunfighting?

Don't carry a gun, then you will never be in a gunfight.

The thing many miss is we are discussing what happens after all the verbal judo and de-escalation skills have been exhausted. Many states have a requirement for you as a citizen to retreat from a fight if safe to do so.

With that in mind, I am in agreement with Constantine, at a minimum I have a Glock and an extra mag, that is 31 rounds of 357 Sig HST in my case. That is quite a bit more than I carried on duty with a revolver, but I am not complaining. It's not just about having enough to finish the fight, but to remain in the fight if more BG's show up before the Calvary gets there.

Avoiding gun fights isn't really the topic.

It is the ever popular number of rounds, if you actually have to use the gun.

The modal number is zero - so let's get pass that to mass attacks and you are the sole defender.

I think - having read a zillion of these threads - the sensible answer is at least one mag for a semi and a speed loader for revolvers (or strip or two).

The Officer who was in the Gun fight, with a .45 ACP Glock Pistol? He changed to a 9mm Glock 17, an 18 round capacity, before he has to change.

I would like to listen to his rational in this change?

I find the Glock 17 is that wee bit too big pistol (a not real thought maybe, not much bigger than my Glock 19) but the spare magazine is a Glock 17 one.

I have shot thousands of rounds through my Glock 19s, a lot of these, actually most, in IDPA matches, with drawing from a concealment holster, movement, close, and far distances, I am very comfortable with carrying my Gen4Glock19.

All the time..638 or 642 J frame with 158 plus p lead HP and two speed loaders of same in pocket. Like the combo, practice with them too...

I carry 5 rounds of .357 Magnum 158gr hp. If I can not eliminate the threat with that then I should not have fired my weapon.

Id rather have extra ammo and not need it then NEED it and not have it.

I would have thought that on a board like this the 1960 thinking that a 5 shot snubbie was all thats needed would be long dead (pun intended)

Im not saying you need 47 mags strapped to you. But 1 or even 2 reloads seems prudent.

We carry as a last ditch "oh crap!" "Im in trouble, and gotta help myself" kinda thing. At times like that i dont want to WISH i had better prepared. No do overs... No reset buttons

If you fire 3 of those 5 shots into your attacker... That only leaves you 2 shots to protect yourself from all his buddies/homeies/gangmember Id want a little more fallback then that to insure my loved ones and i got outta there.

Just sayin....

Last edited by a moderator:
In my past life when I had the need to researched such information. The average was 3 shots were fired during a self-defense shooting.

The unfortunate truth is that even if you're in the right in your use of deadly force. You must also justify your use and a good prosecutor will ask such questions like; how many and what type of ammo were you carrying at the time?" If you carry a double stack and have 2 or more magazine backups (15rds per magazine x 3 = 45rds + 1 = 46rds) , they might imply before a jury that you were looking for the trouble you found.

Seeing that your objective is to end/stop hostilities directed towards you and stay out of jail while you do it. I would say it depends on how many rounds you feel you need to meet both objective.

Personally, when I carry a revolver I have one speedloader reload, a single stack auto one magazine backup, and for a double stack none...

Last edited:
Id rather have extra ammo and not need it then NEED it and not have it.

I would have thought that on a board like this the 1960 thinking that a 5 shot snubbie was all thats needed would be long dead (pun intended)

Im not saying you need 47 mags strapped to you. But 1 or even 2 reloads seems prudent.

We carry as a last ditch "oh!" "Im in trouble, and gotta help myself" kinda thing. At times like that i dont want to WISH i had better prepared. No do overs... No reset buttons

If you fire 3 of those 5 shots into your attacker... That only leaves you 2 shots to protect yourself from all his buddies/homeies/gangmember Id want a little more fallback then that to insure my loved ones and i got outta there.

Just sayin....

The cliche of "need and have" is quaint but really has no basis in reality. What's the rationale for stopping with 30 rounds? 40? 75? 200? It's better to have it and not need it.... Right?

The facts of SD don't change because it's 2014 and the Internet instead of 1960. The vast majority of everyone will live and die without ever needing a firearm. A large percentage of those who need the gun will draw and never pull the trigger. A large majority of those who pull the trigger will either fire 2 or 3 shots or simple fire until empty.

Will some need 10, 30, 50? Maybe, but I have yet to see a SINGLE example outside the home.

Somebody WANTS to carry 30, 40, 100 rounds? Super, but realize it's a WANT because it's an area of interest and the "need" is about as likely as getting struck by lightning while getting bit by a shark after a shipwreck.

I still carry as many rounds as I possibly can. Sometimes it's 3-4 spare mags and sometimes it's one. It's just how I'm wired.

I respect everyone else's decisions as long as they respect mine.

Different strokes...

13+1 in the gun and an extra 17 round mag. The extra mag isn't for the ammo. The number one cause of malfunctions in a semi auto pistol are magazine related.

I consider concealed carry a compromise on size, weight, capacity, and caliber. If I had my druthers, I would carry a sawed off shotgun but that is obviously impractical. Instead, I carry a handgun and that gun may vary depending on needs. So too does the amount of ammo I carry.

Because I am carrying concealed and am mostly in very low risk situations (e.g., driving to work), I most often carry a handgun with 5 to 8 rounds in it, depending upon the gun. Every once in a while I'll carry an extra mag. I rarely carry extra rounds for a revolver. Sure, it's a compromise but it's a realistic one.

If I'm going to be in an area which I consider unsafe, I'll add additional rounds or, more likely, a second gun.

changed my mind

I figured that the capacity of my medium sized auto was probably going to be enough. it is usually 7 or 8 rounds depending if i have the .40 or the 45ACP.

Then through much reading of gun boards I came to the conclusion that with an auto the most likely failure was with the magazine. I can now see the logic of carrying an extra mag not just for the extra capacity, but for the ability to clear a jam in a quick fashion by tap roll rack,-drop mag, insert backup if necessary, rack -bang bang

One other thing i have picked up on revolvers. When you load the cylinder, check each round for a high primer head, or a funky primer. it is a real easy check that adds to reliability. Heck I do this when loading mags now.

My goal is to shoot the first BG, then use their ammo. Mine is too expensive to waste on BG's.:D

PS situational awareness- it could be a bad gal as well

Back