How many rounds are enough to carry....for YOU?

To imply saying that supports ridiculous gun control measures goes too far in my humble opinion.

You missed my point. I say that when folks apply negative and perjorative terms to those who suggest carrying more, that plays into gun banning rhetoric.

Carry what you want. However, I certainly have seem the denunciations.

I say that when folks apply negative and perjorative terms to those who suggest carrying more, that plays into gun banning rhetoric.

Fair enough. I think we too often fall into the trap of being critical of those who don't quite see things the way we do. Heaven knows we don't need to add fuel to the anti-gun machine.

Yep, I regard it a version of the Zumbo effect. As far as the endless debate about where to choose the gun / ammo combo - If dress allows - it's a Glock 19 and an extra mag for me.

If it's pocket - a G42 or J frame and a reload.

I've decided that is a reasonable risk level. I hope I never have to test it.

S&W 638
5 rounds .38plusP + an hks speed loader.

It''s very rare I carry the speed loader on my person. I usually keep it in the car as a just incase.

But if 5 rounds don't do it, I guess we'll find out the hard way. My thought process is if I am atleast carrying, I am doing 1 better already.

But if 5 rounds don't do it, I guess we'll find out the hard way.
That's the way it works.

My thought process is if I am atleast carrying, I am doing 1 better already.
Yep.

I carried a J-frame for some time. For some reason, I did not realize for some time that my eight shot 9mm is just a little thinner, an eighth of an inch higher, and just slightly longer. And a whole lot more shootable.

if you cant take out 1-3 guys with 10rds, you need more training.

From another thread - http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577660

Exactly the type of post, I've been talking about. A lack of understanding of what happens in a high intensity situation full of confusion and movement.

In that thread, another poster handles that statement quite well.

I wonder why all the professional level folks, I know like to carry extra. Isn't because of lack of training.

I've been back and forth on the matter, but these days I think 6 rounds is a few as I would go.
Criminals often work in pairs (good guys and bad guys alike want to have someone to watch their back), so you will probably be facing at least 2 attackers.
Even 3 rounds per attacker is still a dicey situation, but I think that would be my minimum.

Last edited:
I carried a J-frame for some time. For some reason, I did not realize for some time that my eight shot 9mm is just a little thinner, an eighth of an inch higher, and just slightly longer. And a whole lot more shootable.

Yeah, I am in the process of finding a new EDC. I love the J Frame but I have been looking at the Glock 26 for a 10 round mag. Which means I can carry double without a speed loader.

I carry a S&W 627 (8 shot 357 magnum) I carry 1 extra speed strip and a back up NAA mini in 22.

so 16 rounds of 357 magnum and 5 rounds of 22

The firearms instructor at my local range told me there is no documented case of an American civilian involved in a gun fight who reloaded and continued shooting. I have no idea if that's true or not. Anyone have statistics on this?

I can think of plenty of documented cases where America civilians involved in gun fights reloaded and kept shooting. North Hollywood, Miami, Columbine, etc. Those American civilians happened to be criminals in gunfights with law enforcement, but civilians none the less. There is also a fat stack of incidents you can add to that list if you consider a mass shooter murdering multiple unarmed civilians as a "gunfight".

Also notable in those cases are the amount of rounds fired by law enforcement before the threat was stopped. And, in the case of the Miami shootout, the number of rounds an unarmored human body absorbed and was able to continue fighting.

People aren't getting any less crazy anytime soon. Carry what you feel is enough for you.

Last weekend, the Family flew to Louisville KY, to pick up 3 new Police Cars, from a Dodge dealer. These were actual Police models, 8 miles on the clock.
The one I drove anyhow. To be used as marked units in Patrol Duty's.

Coming back to FL took 1000 Miles! And 2 days. One night in a Hotel, first day, terrible storms! Interesting 3, me, 5'9" 200lbs, 80 YOA. My Son, 6'3" 250LBS, 53 YOA. The Grand Son, 6'4" 300LBS? 23 YOA. Said Grandson had never convoyed before! Oh Boy.

As these vehicles had external mounted lamps (Ally Lights) mounted on the drivers side, they screamed Police Cars. My Son and I carried Glock 19s, with a spare G17 magazine.

Only interaction with real Police! On 3 occasions, Radar came after us! But pulled vehicles that were keeping up with us! Let us be.

These were White V6 Dodge Chargers, rear wheel drive, very fast!

And the reason we all here on The Firing Line carry, was plain to see/feel, just in case! Felt much better with, than without.

My carry guns depend on the time of year, and type of pants worn. Either way, I always have a spare mag. I carry a Glock 26 80% of the time, a Glock 19 10% of the time and, and a Glock 43 for the remaining 10%.

26 means 12+1+17=30
19 means 15+1+17=33
43 means 7+1+8=16

... and there's usually a 33 round mag nearby.

Back