How many people are cautious when going to the range?

A year ago (only a few miles from my parents home) a man was killed and his guns stolen ...he was shooting at a "dump range" by himself. Seems this was the norm for him and the B. G. knew it. The man was found some time later. His car was there but his guns were gone. I don't know if this has ever been solved. All that to say yes I try to be very careful, but mostly I shoot on private land. Still...
Mark.

Been a while since I read about them, but as I recall Platt and Matix, the Miami shootout BGs, obtained several weapons by hanging around remote shooting locations and when someone showed up, they shoot 'em and take their weapons. That stuck in my memory.

"When someone points the muzzle of their weapon at you. Not necessarily on purpose, but sweeping it over you as they turn, or something like that."

Dasmi: that is precicely what happened in the death of a good friend of mine many years ago. At 15, my father allowed me to go on a dove hunt with a group of my friends. I was really uncomfortable, it turned out, with the lack of field safety discipline by a couple of guys in the party, and I begged-off when I was invited again the next weekend. Sadly, my friend Jerry G. was fatally shot that day. Someone nearby, finger on the trigger, safety off, shell in the chamber, barrell pointing here and there, looking at the sky...not a bird in sight.

off-topic. sorry.

Hayley, that's a terrible story. It illustrates why none of us can afford to be lax on firearm safety.

off topic, but when i took the CA gun saftey test (30 Q's). I didn't miss one, the questions were pure common sense. I asked the lady if people actual fail (failing is above 6), and she said a fair amount of ppl fail. She also told me that people study for it and still fail. I didn't read anything, I think the general population is stupid.

I took the same test, and didn't miss any. All common sense questions. Yes, the general population is stupid.

Been a while since I read about them, but as I recall Platt and Matix, the Miami shootout BGs, obtained several weapons by hanging around remote shooting locations and when someone showed up, they shoot 'em and take their weapons. That stuck in my memory.

Going off memory also, the shooter in the Glades, whose rifle they took, shooting his Mini 14 was shot with his own gun, and left for dead, he crawled a tremendous distance, and was rescued, and lived.

He also out lived the criminals who shot him!

different levels of caution......

I think of it a little like getting on the freeway each day....... Conditions dictate a lot to me. Is it raining, clear, fog, snow, ice, sunny, what day is it? It might sound odd but in general some things are similar. I like a light crowd......big crowd at range is harder to watch to see if everyone is shooting and acting civil. No crowd in my case is ok too. The range is on a main road within sight to the road. A store must be entered in order to get to the gated and fenced range and a range master is always on site. This said I still shoot there in an alert status. Just me and that is how I feel best and do best at range practice. I must admit the part or rule I hate most is leaving my weapon at the shooting booth and going down range. I always take the mag and ammo with me. I also try to always have a CW on me too....

Back