How many of you...

MandolinMan

Regularly carry guns with different controls or manual of arms. Such as a SAO and DAO? Or say a 1911 and a Glock?

Assuming that the user regularly trains with and understands the operation of both platforms, do you think this is a potential problem? Note that I'm specifically asking about carry guns, not range toys or hunting guns, etc.

My primary carry is a Sig P938 which is a SAO 9mm.

When I feel like carrying something larger/higher capacity, I usually go with my Sig P228 which is a DA/SA.

How many of you do something similar? How many of you believe that this could be a problem?

I've considered exchanging the p228 for a SAO ( 1911, hipower, etc) to match my P938. But I do like the P228...

I would appreciate your thoughts!

I think its a potential problem though I tend to ignore that thought.

I carry a P938 as a pocket gun - when it is too big I switch to an NAA mini-revolver.

When I carry a belt gun its either a Glock G29 or a Ruger SP101. I am less concerned about any manual of arms issues with these as, despite their differences, they have the same very basic manual of arms (pull trigger gun goes bang).

I don't see it as a big deal...( if you train with the platforms once in a while )...

My normal carry is a full sized 1911 in 9mm...( 5", Wilson Combat )...

But I find its easy to switch to a revolver once in a while ( like a K frame S&W in .357 mag -- model 66 or 19 in a 4" / or a model 66 in a 2 1/2" - all 6 shots / or even a model 627 in a 2 5/8" ( 8 shot )...

I will also occasionally switch to a Sig model 239 ...in 9mm or .40 S&W...

I dont really have an issue switching between my kahr P380 and my smith model 36 or 49. I shoot a couple times a week with both autos and revolvers so i have never even thought twice about it. In the winter i often carry a 4 inch k frame as well. Once in a while ill carry a single stack 9mm but usually a revolver if not a pocket 380. I dont do safeties period and definitely no hammers on semi autos. Makes life a lot more simple. Simply draw, aim, shoot.

Last edited:
Nothing I carry is a great deal different as far as operation. Aim, and pull the trigger. No manual safety to disengage. The only slightly difference is the grip safety on my XD 40 Sub Compact. But it is so naturally disengaged as to not even be noticed. Other than that it's DAO LCP, striker fired Kahn CM9, or DAO LCR or Charter Arms Bulldog revolvers.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a huge deal going from say DA/SA (no external safety) to DAO. I think the biggest issue is when adding an extra control, ala external safety. I trained primarily on a 1911 at the beginning of my pistol career. I find myself reaching for that thumb safety years after I sold all 1911s.

Now I that have 1911s again, hitting that thumb safety seems natural and I don't feel it's an issue. I don't carry any of my 1911s, but probably will start in the winter time.

My two carry pistols are a Glock 26 and a Sig P238. They feel very different in the hand, and I practice regularly with them both, so I don't expect to have a problem telling them apart if I ever have a need to use one of them defensively.

What tallball said.

Provided you're proficient with what you carry I wouldn't think it should be too big of a deal, but maybe a consideration.

How many people own and regularly operate a car or truck with an auto trans, and one with a manual trans, and also maybe a motorcycle with a lever-operated clutch and toe shifter?

Are they sufficiently familiar and skilled with the operating (shifting and braking) requirements of each of the veh's to the point that they can not only operate them in normal conditions, and also in any unexpected emergency conditions?

Are they always correct about their assessment of their familiarity and skills with them?

To answer the question, yes, I've commonly carry different handguns as duty & off-duty weapons, and continue to carry different ones as retirement CCW's. They've generally included 1911's, TDA (DA/SA) & DAO-ish/striker-fired pistols and DA/DAO revolvers. I've long been an owner and shooter of SA revolvers, too.

That said, I've also had the opportunity to have invested a fair number of years as a firearms instructor to become familiar and well-practiced with them, and still keep my hand in things as an instructor and put in enough range hours to remain familiar with them.

As an instructor, I've certainly see my fair share of people on the range and in classes (LE and private citizens) who were barely able (or sometimes only willing) to demonstrate an adequate familiarity with ONE type of handgun. Sometimes two types. Lots of folks may have little or no interest in ever learning or becoming familiar & skilled with more than one or two types, and that's their prerogative.

If someone wants to try and find out how skilled they actually are with their different handguns, they could probably consider signing up for some different classes where defensive training/shooting drills & skills are taught, and/or attending a sporting event like IDPA, and seeing how well they can use their equipment in an increasingly demanding environment.

Some folks seem content to just carry around a highly prized or cherished gun, or two, and may never feel inclined to test themselves or the gun in increasingly demanding training classes and conditions ... and that's their prerogative, too.

My EDC is a 1911 (SAO) mostly but I do also pocket carry a S/W M&P 340 CT (DAO) sometimes. From one extreme to the other-I do make it a point to practice with both at least twice a month....

I believe in the K.I.S.S. method. No safety's, decocker's, or hammers. Just draw and pull the trigger. With that being said I have three different carry guns, S&W 638, Ruger LCP, and a Glock G27.

I don't think it's a huge deal going from say DA/SA (no external safety) to DAO.

I would agree with this statement. Until recently all my carry guns have been dao revolvers or striker fired semi autos without safeties like my Kahr CM9 or Remington RM380. I purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm sub compact in 9mm and converted it to decocker only. My plan is to carry this one in colder weather.

I seldom carry. But if I do and carry OWB my favorite is a SIG P229 DA/SA in .40 S&W.

The P229 is a bit large to carry IWB and I won't carry a striker-action pistol IWB. In the event I need to carry IWB I use a SIG P250 double action only, 9 mm pistol.

Neither pistol has an external safety. In the case of the P229 the critical first shot is double action. In the case of the P250 every shot is double action. Both are hammer-fired with second strike capability.

I suppose the two different trigger mechanisms could potentially cause a problem but it doesn't seem terribly likely.

I'm mostly with TMD. It's that all-important first shot. I enjoy shooting single action revolvers and 1911 pattern pistols, but I don't shoot them enough. I wouldn't want to be fumbling with a safety on a 1911 or having to thumb back the hammer on a single action revolver in a defense situation. I do practice with da/sa pistols and revolvers and recently added a stryker-fired pistol, and they all require a "simple" pull of the trigger for that first shot. I'm comfortable carrying any of those.

Used to alternate between traditional/true DAO, DA/SA, and even striker-fires got tossed in the mix. Nowadays however, I carry the DAO's pretty much exclusively, as they are simply what I have the most experience with over the last 2 1/2 decades. So at any given time you will find one of many on my side, rotated primarily between a CZ 100, P-07 DAO, or PX4 D. Soon there will be a couple of new joins getting added to the rotation as well once I get them zeroed in (6946, USPc LEM).

Like others have said, just a matter of practicing and becoming proficient, regardless of what the trigger type is.

Back