How many of you carry a derringer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
derringers are specialty guns, not general purpose.

load it with snake/rat shot for fishing and camping hiking.

load it with any other round for ENT self defense ranges because you have nothing else.

This is my $80 Davis .22 that I carry occasionally in the summer . Not sure if I would like to get into a fight using it.....but it's fun to shoot.

Attachments

• vvvvv.jpg
    vvvvv.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 54
I've got a couple of the High Standard .22 mag Derringers. They are incredibly flat if you take off the grips. I have carried those as a last ditch backup. The DA trigger is what makes them usable.

I also have an American Derringer in .45LC/410. It's bulky heavy and would likely be hard to manipulate under stress. That said, I don't care if its only going 500 FPS. That big tumbling chunk of lead would have to hurt.

I was hoping the Double Tap was on my to buy list. I played with a couple of them, the jury is out. They are pretty big, though flat. The issue with doubling is a little worrisome.

Where do you get the spring loaded holder to keep one up your sleeve? I might want to go play poker in Deadwood or Dodge City.

That is the image that comes to mind when a think about derringers.

My carry gun is a NAA Mini Revolver in .22WMR, with the real long way-out-there 1 5/8" barrel. My problem with most derringers of the over/under configuration is they are often chambered in calibers far too powerful to control in such a small package. Your second shot may be quite some time away from your first because of excessive recoil and the process of target re-acquisition.

Modern defensive loadings for .22 Mag are nothing like what was available even a few years ago. Now, loads especially tailored for extremely short barrels (like mine) deliver hollow point bullets at around/about 1000 FPS, insuring amazing penetration and reliable expansion. Equally important, the little gun is accurate, reliable, safe, and fast. The 5/5/5/5 drill is no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back