How many molds?

Chainsaw.

Hey guys, I have a minor confession to make. I have an affinity for bullet molds, and like a woman who can't get enough shoes, no matter what I find my self looking at other new ones wondering if the bullets would look good in my cases. :D So, does a man act on his urges or does he maintain control of his mold desires?
How many molds do you have? Per caliber?

How big is your storage area?

10X20
20X40
40X60

You can't be too good looking, have too much money, or have too much shooting/reloading/casting gear.

I have 4 or 5 in every caliber I shoot from 380's to 30-06, but basically only use a couple in each anymore. The others are where I started. I've been thinking of selling off a few that aint in use anymore and replacing with different ones but cant quite bring myself to do it yet.

Thats a good point Frankenmauser. I have a .452 long nose SWC mold a friend gave me, Ive cast with it twice...but I dont own any 45s. But I have a box of bullets in case a friend needs some :D

My oldest "mold of shame" is an RCBS .308-165 SIL (or however they name theirs).
I bought it super-cheap, used, from a forum member across the country.
Package got wet in transit. Mold cavities rusted a bit.
It's fine. It'll clean up. I just need to do it.

So, of course, the mold has been sitting here for almost 10 years, now, having never even been attached to a set of handles.

That, in itself, is highly ironic considering that I have several molds that were cut as nothing more than one-off experiments for very short term usage.
One of them, I think I only cast 30 usable bullets with, and that was enough to prove multiple theories that I was chasing. (Using hollow, tapered-base 'heavies' in .444 Marlin, without bulging the case body; and the ability for a Marlin 444 to feed and load wadcutters; and more. -- That mold used double-ended designs, with two different cavities. One mold, two cavities, four experiments.)
Learned what I needed. Now it's a paperweight.

I dunno how many molds per caliber. My molds are mainly handgun molds. .458 rifles excepted. The brands represented include: Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Saeco, Cramer, Modern-Bond, NEI, H&G, and a few various custom molds.

I'd have to count them but probably around 25 or so. I have molds by Lee,Lyman,NOE an Accurate an will probably be picking up a couple Arsenal molds I like as well in the near future. I pretty much use them all at some point but I have several that I cast from on a regular basis.

I have a couple Lee molds that I don't use much they belong to my brother who doesn't shoot all that much but I keep him a good supply of bullets at all times.

I've got about a dozen in .38 and .45 caliber. Am a big time proponent of the brass hollowpoint MP moulds made in Slovenia.

Don

Couple dozen, I'd guess, including .75 RB for the 1/4scale Napoleon, 2.125" (two pound ball) for the half-scale Napoleon, and 1.68" (one pounder) for the golf ball varmint gun still in construction. Single, double cavity, and gang molds in .32 on up.

Yes, made in Slovenia. The last couple I have ordered only took 8 days to arrive here in the USA. You pay using PayPal, which then converts your dollars into Euro's. Once you've cast using his brass moulds with the ability to either cast hollowpoints or solids, everything thing else leaves you wanting.

Don

Here's a pic of probably my favorite mould. With this bullet you can load it in either a .45 Colt revolver or a .45 ACP autoloader. Can't get much more versatile than that.

Don
index.php

Bullet on the left is the same as the one in my pic above. It was shot out of a Colt Gold Cup at ~800fps. Cast them using the right alloy, and they do expand at low velocities.

Don
attachment.php

I have honestly lost count....at least 40.
EBay is my downfall...spot something old abused and in need of some TLC and if it's cheap enough I will find myself bidding on it.
I'm a sucker for obsolete moulds and know how to refurbish and bring those rusty looking moulds back to life.
I have always had a mould addiction ... got my first in 1967 and still stumble on a few even now.
The worst thing I ever did was discover NOE Moulds...those are some sweet casters and Al Nelson comes up with some wonderful recreations of obsolete moulds...I order them with no control over what I'm doing...addicted to casting to the max. !

Gary

Don, nice expansion, really couldnt ask for much better.

Gary, at least Im not alone. Ive got molds for evrything I shoot besides 223 and Im thinking of even going that route, though with trepidation as the alloy has to be pretty spot on for rifle velocities that high. Another 44 mold? Sure! Another 38 mold? Sure! A mold for the wifes .40? Why not????

Back