How many mags?

How many mags do you carry for training?

• 1-2

Votes: 19 28.8%

Votes: 18 27.3%

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • 5+

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
IDPA - Generally have one in pistol, two in belt mag carrier and one in back pocket and at least one spare in range bag.

Training - varies.

I practice with 1 spare, weak side. I carry with 1 spare, weak side. I practice using the same mag carrier that I use for daily carry.

With my main carry, my sp101, I usually carry 1 reloader in either a speed loader or strip, depending on dress. I don't like the inconsistency so much, but I can deal with training in both methods. Usually the same when training.

When I carry my Glock, I usually carry 1 spare mag, often in my pocket for convenience; training is usually done properly with a belt pouch. I don't fin myself carrying this much for routine concealed carry, which is why I haven't gotten a good mag holder that is comfortable

With the SP101, two spare speed strips in a conveniently sized cell-phone pouch on my belt. With the PX4 .40, no extra mags.

If I bother dragging my woodland MOLLE vest out, I carry a combat load of ammunition. 7 full mags, counting the one in the rifle. The Army was nice enough to let me just keep my USGI mags when I got back from deployment, and I generally keep at least two of them fully loaded at home.

I think three are the minimum for training. I carried up to four spare magazines when I worked. Consider though that my P220 was 45 ACP and that the mags held only 8 rounds. That made my basic load 41 rounds. That was only five less than someone with a Beretta 92 with two spare mags.

Ideally, I would carry at least 3, but most of the pistols I bought came with only 1 mag and I'm having touble finding additional mags. :(

No kidding. I got lucky and a LGS had 8 Glock 19 magazines at normal price. Thankfully they fit the 26 perfectly....so I walked out with extra magazines. :)

my goal for a primary defense handgun is having a minimum of 5 magazines each which I would carry if I thought I might be in a war zone. for basic carry I would probably just carry the mag in my gun and a double mag or single mag pouch. I do have a couple of carry guns that came with only 1 spare mag. I don't really feel comfortable unless each handgun I own has a minimum of 5 mags, some have only 3 and a couple of my newer handguns have only 2 but I will add additional magazines as I can find them and afford them. all of my d/a revolvers have at least 2 speedloaders and some have 4.

For training (what little of it I do these days), I go with two sets of three mags- one set remains "back-up" in my range bag.

Back