How many here on TFL own and use Cap-n-Ball sixguns?

I own a repo Colt 1860 Army, and a repo Colt Walker. I also own a single shot Thompson Center Patriot. I used to own a Ruger Old Army.

My Cabela's Pietta reproduction steel framed 1858 Remington has been with me for only a couple years but has yet to expose a flaw. I've rather enjoyed the 1000 or so Hornady .454 swagged round ball I've put through it. After learning early on of Windex with ammonia D, I haven't had a lick of trouble with binding cylinders.

Though I've only used Pyrodex Pistol (usually 25gr), I look forward to trying black powder.

Rodgers & Spencer .44
Colts Navies- one in .36 and another in .44
Remington 1858 .44 one in brass frame and another in steel
LeMat .44
Walker Colt .45

These are all repros 4 are by Uberti and the rest are Pietta

I have two originals but I have only fired them once and don't actually use them.

Last edited:
Ooh!!

Hey, Cap-N-Ball!!!

How does that LeMat shoot? I love that thing!!!! Looking to pick one up, but I can pass if it wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn...

I mean, it's cool, but coolness only goes SO far!! :p

Kalindras, The LeMat takes a bit of getting used to. It's a heavy firearm. The balance isn't terrible but it has an awkward feel at first. The grips are funny looking but feel pretty good. It has many small parts and can be a bear to re-assemble. You need some gunsmithing tools to take it down totally. It was designed for close in work where those extra three shots and the grapeshot tube might make the difference between life or death. If you're really into Civil War re-enacting and are part of a cavalry outfit then it's a definite crowd pleaser. I shoot mine infrequently, but it is an accurate revolver once you're used to it. That 20 gauge 'garbage can' tube is impressive when loaded correctly and there are some folks around that think cap and ball guns are wimpy.

For regular use on a range or even in re-enactments, (holding a LeMat at arms length while on horseback is no fun) I prefer my 1858 Remingtons. Tough, strong, simple and very accurate.

I have owned or own several. 2 1858 Remingtons, 1860 Army, 1851 Navy, 1862 Police, 1861 Navy, 2 Walkers, 2nd Dragoon, 2 1848 Well's Fargos, Spiller & Burr, and I'm always looking for more.

1851 Navy, but after seeing that LeMat fired on American Shooter this weekend, I wouldn't mind having one of them big boys as well!:D

Well, I guess I got a couple or so. :D

.31 Remington pocket revolver
.31 1849 Colt
.36 1851 Colt Navy
.44 1860 Colt Army
.44 1858 Remington Army
.44 1847 Colt Walker
.44 Lemat cavalry model

I still want to get an 1862 Colt Police, a Colt's 3rd model Dragoon, and maybe an 1858 Starr DA revolver as well.

Started with a Pietta Copy of an 1858 Remington which was a very good pistol. Sold it in a fit of stupidity.

Wife got me a Pietta copy of the 1862 police. I dearly love the way it feels and handles, but the loading lever is too short.

Just got a Ruger old Army and I'm just getting to know it, but like it so far.

Stainless and blue Ruger Old Army.

Had a Navy Arms Colt Navy which I put together and later on gave away. Still have Remington 1858 that I still have to assemble.

I have a Colt 1860 Fluted Cylinder Army 44 replica by Cabela's and a Colt Signature Series Navy 36.. they don't kick at all but my are they LOUD.

Amazes me that anyone carried these things loaded and ready to go, shows you why there are pins between the nipples, and why there are flaps on old holsters.

P.S. thank god for fiber pads that replaced cylinder grease, makes clean up and shooting easier.

Of sad note.. I bought a box of conical bullets for my navy.. and they don't fit in the loading gate :eek: , oh well at least they were cheap. The conicals for the army work very well.

I use real black powder (not pyrodex) in my pistols, and mine is german made if I recall correctly. When I see real fffg black powder for sale I buy some, as its hard to get. Note to the new: its possible to set a target on fire at ten feet with a black powder revolver. :D

Back