How many here have full auto capability?

Well, not really - -

Hkmp5sd wrote:
Have'm. Love'm. Want more. Only reason I don't buy more of them is the price is just too absurd. $15,000 for a gun that LEOs can buy for under $1000 is just stupid.
Firstly, I am in total agreement that it is WRONG that private individuals cannot walk into the gun shop and purchase ANY firearm they can afford. If they misuse their SBR or submachine gun, then charge, try, and punish the offender, same as would be done if a crime was committed with a LONG barrel rifle or a pistol. But, the gov't put one over on the public back in 1934, and subsequently, so we live with the restrictions we have. At least, until someone with a lotta time and money organizes a change in the laws nd regulations. But, I guess that belongs in Legal & Political forum . . .

But, anyhow, I must point out that LEOs cannot buy that gun to which you refer. Law enforcement AGENCIES may, correct, and I don't think THAT is right, either - - Okay, a significant discount for govt. purchase order, or bulk purchase, etc, maybe. B-U-U-T-T, the individual LE OFFICER cannot legally purchase such a gun, for personal use. Title must always reside with the agency, which may, in it's wisdom, issue the firearm to that officer, but the ofcr may NOT take it with him when leaving the agency.

I realize that accounting and inventory procedures vary from one outfit to another. With the large bureauracies, it is (usually) nearly impossible to get an SMG issued, unless a member of SWAT/Tac Squad/SRU/whatever. In small PDs, sometimes the Chief and his buddy the Asst Chief (maybe the only two paid officers in the town ;) ) will EACH have an M16 AND an MP5 that they treat as their own. But at the end of the day, retirement, discharge, expiration of contract or whatever, the full autos belong to the agency.

At different times, I've been "issued" an M1 Thompson, a Sten Gun, and an AK47, by my sheriff. But it was firmly understood that I just wanted to take them to the range and shoot 'em. And, y'know, when I finished and cleaned them throughly, I promptly returned them to the armory. Fun to shoot, yes, but they were not mine. No pride of ownership, no real sense of purpose - - I was not assigned to the Tac Team and having the gun(s) was not part of my duty. The old 870, yeah, maybe I'd use it to back up a patrol unit sometime, but NOT a machine gun.

Yeah, maybe our S.O. can buy MP5s for less than a grand, but I can't . . . .

Best,
Johnny

Johnny,

I was using "LEOs" to imply "Law Enforcement/Government Agencies", not individual police officers. I know individual LEOs cannot purchase NFA weapons simply because of their job.

Poor wording on my part.

I have an M11/9 with suppressor. In Utah, it was really no big deal. Printed and photographed at the cop station, interview with the County Sheriff (very supportive), pay for two class 3 tax stamps and wait a couple weeks for the feds to approve your paperwork.

It was a heck of a lot harder to get a simple licence-not-to-carry in Massachussetts. :rolleyes:

Holy crap that was a pain.

Oh, if you decide to get a suppressor, get a wipeless type (sionic, I think). Wipes are generally unavailable and expensive. You can buy the suppressor, but nobody will sell you wipes!?!!?!?!? :mad:

Last edited:
One only has to remember the source of the rules . That will pretty much sum it up . Remember , they're here to help us . :rolleyes:

Oh, if you decide to get a suppressor, get a wipeless type (sionic, I think). Wipes are generally unavailable and expensive. You can buy the suppressor, but nobody will sell you wipes!?!!?!?!?

Wipe designs are old technology. The idea that the bullet actually touches something as it passes through the can is insane. Besides, they were only good for a few hundred rounds (or less), before they needed new wipes.

Yes, yes. Unfortunately, I was not instructed in the proper way by my dealer. He just said, "Meh, you can make your own wipes."

Ummmm... yeeeeah. :rolleyes:

In keeping with my military arms collection, I have a 1928AC Thompson, a BAR, and a 1919A4. Noth'in says lovin like a belt in the 1919A4. The MP5 (W/can) is just for fun.

Mine is a Group Industries - which is a good thing, as I am NOT reluctant to shoot it. And I got a great deal on it, about 10 years ago.

I've never had a class III license or weapon, but in analyzing the situation from my viewpoint, I've come to a couple of general observations:

1. The cost of the license itself is not so bad; nor does the red tape seem too extensive. BUT, unfortunately, what's prohibitive is the actual cost of the WEAPONS to non-LEO's. On a principle basis, and a budget basis both, I refuse to pay $5,000 to $15,000 for the exact same weapon that my local LEOA can get for $525.

2. My gun range doesn't allow full auto, license or not, so what's the point until I can buy some land of my own? Ostensibly, the reason behind the prohibition is that the muzzle climb in the hands of a noob will result in bullets flying over the berm and land on the neighbors a mile down the way...

Also, BTW, you're obviously going to have trouble if you have any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors or even a domestic civil TRO. Not sure about other misdemeanors. I don't have a problem there, but some do....

Also, word to the wise: don't ever, in any way, file down the sear on a Bushy M17 Bullpup like I did, or you WILL have a full-auto rifle on your hands, like it or not, and no select-fire option for semi auto (I did not like it one bit, specially since I have no license for same). There is NO room on that sear for getting a better trigger without going full auto. NONE. I went through 3 sears before giving up on a better trigger. If you want a good trigger, get a different rifle. But don't take even a few thousandths off the m17 sear, or you'll be sorry.

First, let me clarify that you do not get a license to own, you purchase a stamp (remember the Stamp Act????) for each C3 gun. You cannot buy the stamp with any felonys or a DV order.
Licencees (dealers) get to by pre and post samples at much lower prices, but you need to be activly engaged in the bussiness.
Too bad there is no place near you to shoot C3 - they are FUN.

1. The cost of the license itself is not so bad; nor does the red tape seem too extensive. BUT, unfortunately, what's prohibitive is the actual cost of the WEAPONS to non-LEO's. On a principle basis, and a budget basis both, I refuse to pay $5,000 to $15,000 for the exact same weapon that my local LEOA can get for $525.

While this is true, it is also true that in 3 years that LEO weapon will sell for $100 less than when it was new, and your weapon will sell for $5000 more than whatever you paid for it.

Don't view it as a gun, view it as an investment.

Also, BTW, you're obviously going to have trouble if you have any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors or even a domestic civil TRO. Not sure about other misdemeanors. I don't have a problem there, but some do....

If you have felonies or DVs you can not own a semi-auto weapon either, so there is no difference with regards to disqualifiers.

"If you have felonies or DVs you can not own a semi-auto weapon either, so there is no difference with regards to disqualifiers."

That's not exactly true, if you count age as a disqualifier.

From Full-auto.com:
• WHO CAN OWN A MACHINE GUN?
GENERALLY IF YOU MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA YOU CAN OWN A MACHINEGUN. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW OWNERSHIP OF NFA ITEMS, PLEASE CHECK OUR STATE LAWS LIST HERE.
1. OVER 21 YEARS OF AGE
2. NO DISHONORABLE DISCHARGED FROM THE ARMED SERVICES
3. NOT AN ALIEN ILLEGALLY IN THE U.S.
4. NOT ADJUDICATED MENTALLY DEFECTIVE, OR COMMITTED TO A MENTAL INSTITUTION
5. NOT AN UNLAWFUL USER OF DRUGS OR CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
6. NEVER RENOUNCED YOUR U.S. CITIZENSHIP
7. NOT A FUGITIVE FROM JUSTICE
8. NOT UNDER INDICTMENT FOR A CRIME PUNISHABLE BY MORE THAN A YEAR
9. NOT CONVICTED OF A CRIME WHERE YOU COULD HAVE BEEN SENTENCED FOR MORE THAN A YEAR. USUALLY A FELONY.
10. NOT SUBJECT TO A COURT ORDER RESTRAINING YOU FROM HARASSING, STALKING, OR THREATENING AN INTIMATE PARTNER OR CHILD OF SUCH PARTNER.

While this is true, it is also true that in 3 years that LEO weapon will sell for $100 less than when it was new, and your weapon will sell for $5000 more than whatever you paid for it.
That is really kind of scary. My SMG has doubled in value in 4 years. On a smaller scale of things that is better than paintings, gold and diamonds in the same time frame.

Back