How many here have full auto capability?

Much depends on where you are - - -

If you wish, I can happily outline the requirements we must meet here in Texas. Some states, however, just flat prohibit private ownership of machine guns, and BATFE will not approve the registration of such for a private individual living in such an area.

I stand to be corrected - - Hope I am, really - - but I think that California is one of those states where you just can't get it done. :(

Someone, please correct me.

Best regards,
Johnny

I am halfway through the hoops now on an M11/9 with suppressor. Waiting to hear from the ATF guys. The paperwork is not difficult; the only difficulties are 1) your state law; and given that 1) allows it, 2) getting the chief law enforcement officer of your county to sign off.

Georgia is a liberal gun state, but I did have to set up an interview with our county DA and let him know I was a responsible, law-abiding citizen who would do nothing that would harm his re-election chances! :p :barf:

I'm patiently waiting for the ATF to approve the corporate transfer of my friend's M16. Coincidently, I am an employee of said corporation and can play with it all I want.

Yes. I own a full auto firearm.
Depending on your local CLEO there is nothing to it. The "hoops" you have to jump through can be leaped in about an hour or two counting driving time.

Personally, I wouldn't do it again. Full Auto doesn't pull my chain. Maybe if I owned a lot better gun, but I don't really see the point. For the last two months I competed in a local machine gun match. I could have easily beat the best score there using my semi-auto AR15; faster times, better hits, less rounds fired, and a more effective cartridge.

I just took transfer of a Vector full-size Uzi but haven't gotten to the range with it yet.

It is the first and likely last automatic firearm I'll ever own. I've shot subguns before, but like 444, the experience doesn't thrill me like it does so many people. I've mainly added it into my collection because I had nothing in that catagory of firearms.

The process of filing for transfer of Title II items is not particularly difficult (barring local legal prohibitations) and should not be an obstacle to anyone interested in buying an automatic firearm, Any-Other-Weapon, short-barrelled longarm, or suppressor. Among this classification, silencers are, for me, by far the most useful and enjoyable of the NFA items in my collection. They have made shooting much more fun for me. The reduced sound of gunfire has made it possible to shoot more often because of the lesser annoyance to others near my property.

Luckily, West Virginia is a state that allows Class III weapons. I have 5 Class III items including a pre-ban Uzi Micro closed bolt with a firing rate of 1400 RPM. When I bought the gun, I also got a barrel adapter that converts the threads to that of a Mac 10 so I can attach a Bowers Suppressor. Only comment I can make is Thank God for Speed Loaders and Extra Magazines!! (I have over 50 30 round Uzi magazines)

Mike

I own a few full auto guns. Unlike some others, I find full auto addictive. Letting loose a 30 round mag through my M16 shorty gets a big grin on my face: Fast and Flashy!!

Like others said, the process is actually pretty easy - its just a process and it takes time. Getting CLEO signoff can be tough for some, depending on locale. In Maryland, its easy - you turn the paperwork into the state police and wait (since it's a state and federal background check, transfers take longer). Like Tom Petty sang, the waiting is the hardest part.

I had to jump through more hoops than most. Living in MA, I had to get a state issued License to Possess Machine Guns. It's up to the CLEO's discretion if you will be given one. I, thankfully, had one of the Sergeants go to bat for me, which helped immensely.

I now have two-- MP5 sear, and an M16

It was well worth the hassle for me.

As to the second part of the question - -

I very much enjoy owning and shooting a 1928 Thompson, West Hurley manufacture. I particularly like this model because of the versatility - - I can outfit it with the vertical foregrip, Type XX mags and Type L drum and have it in "depression era" configuration, or go with the horizontal forend, Kerr sling, and 30 round mags, for the "SGT Saunders of Combat" pattern. ;)

There is a local submachine gun match here about every other month, where a group of enthusiasts get together. Next one should be in July. I'll post it ahead of time.

Best,
Johnny

Well, maybe, Guy - -

- -But there's sure a lot of interest in the M1 and M1A1 Thompsons, what with the "Saving Private Ryan" movie and the "Band of Brothers" TV series.

I'd really like to locate one at a reasonable (read, "Felony Theft") price, but I fear those days are gone forever. Another option, especially for the re-enactors, is to locate one of the Semi versions of the M1, and jump thru the hoops and pay the tax to have it converted to a Short Barrelled Rifle - - Yeah, it wouldn't shoot full auto, but it would LOOK really good, and it WOULD shoot.

Caught a re-run of a BOB episode on The History Channel the other night, and I'm getting fired up again, to own an M3 Grease Gun. Why? I dunno . . .

Best,
Johnny

I was only joking . It's been a great gun .
Luckily , I bought it about 1990 when an average guy could afford one . It fires everything . Lead reloads either RN or SWC as well as hollow points . Milk jugs at 50 yds are easy prey . :cool:

Full Auto Fun

How much trouble is worth how much fun is always a subjective thing. As always, try before you buy.

For instance here in Maryland (for a private, not corporate transfer) it would go something like this:

*Find Class 3 dealer with firearm you want for a price you want to pay
*Pay dealer (plus $200 tax stamp)
*Fill out State paperwork
*Submit State paperwork with check
*Wait to see if CLEO signs off (he doesn’t have too)
*Get signed State paperwork back (usually 1 month later)
*Fill out Federal paperwork
*Get photographed
*Get fingerprinted
*Submit doubled checked Federal paperwork with attached photos and fingerprint cards (don't even think about using a red pen to fill them out!)
*Wait to see if anyone at the BATFE doesn’t like you
*Get a call from your dealer (usually 3-4 months later) telling you the paperwork’s come back
*Fill out final paperwork when picking up new toy (machine guns must be re-registered every year in MD)
*Buy lots of magazines and ammo
*Find a range that actually allows full auto fire
*See if what you've just spent 6 months and thousands of dollars on even works.

Would I do it all again?

Probably not.

But then again I like the suppressed FA Uzi I have, so I don't see anything else in my immediate future. But ya never know when I'll get that itch...

-LeadPumper

Last edited:
"Caught a re-run of a BOB episode on The History Channel the other night, and I'm getting fired up again, to own an M3 Grease Gun."

What's really sad is that an M3, which cost about 1/10 of the manufacturing cost of a Thompson is now worth the same or even more for some pieces.

I'm totally addicted.

Have'm. Love'm. Want more. Only reason I don't buy more of them is the price is just too absurd. $15,000 for a gun that LEOs can buy for under $1000 is just stupid.

Last edited:
I currently have a FA Uzi carbine, and last month just bought an FNC auto-sear which is currently on the way to my dealer. Two machineguns will probably be it for me, they're getting too expensive. If I got another machinegun though, I don't know what I'd want to get. After a subgun and an assault rifle, I guess the next logical thing would be a belt-fed, but I don't have anywhere near me where I could shoot one.

Winston, it varies, and I suspect a lot of the variance is purely political. When I was buying my Uzi they were having a problem with deliberately passive aggressive stalling by a Clinton appointee in the BATF office where the seller lived, so it took 5 months for what otherwise would have been a 3 week approval for a dealer to dealer transfer.

Then, shortly after the November election where Comrade Gore was rejected by the voters, they finally transferred it to my FFL. It took the usual 3 months for approval of my form 4, so I got it shortly after President Bush was inaugurated.

I have had further dealings with the BATF since then and find they are a lot more user friendly. I suppose it must have something to do with the improvement of the executive branch of the government.

Back