How many handguns did you go through.......

I've gone through 3 guns since I started carrying last August.

SIG 239
S&W SW-99 .40cal
PO P12-45

My search still continues.I have a feeling I will be happier with a full size single stack 1911.

I've been doing this for a little over 30 years. There are not many types or calibers I haven't owned at least once.

The ones I carry constantly, shoot best with, and like the most, all seem to be of 45 caliber. That applies to both revolvers (SA & DA) and semiautomatics.

Right now I am using Glocks because for me they are extremely reliable, don't break, and don't rust.

YMMV!

For years I carried a Colt Gov't Model in one configuration or another. That was the first big auto I fired starting at age 9. Now 37 years later... went through at least 7 different versions of Mr. Browning's creation. Everything to a REAL combat version(BTDT, served it's purpose) to Gold Cups. Don't have a one now, fell in love with a SIG 220 and have never looked back. The Sig has been with me for over 14 years and I may have looked & shot others but it does all I ask and then some. Wanted a Glock at one time but...why ? Other than to shoot the GSSF? I'll borrow a friends !! Oh yeah...ALL were .45 ACP

I haven't counted the number of handguns I went through...until now:

1--Dan Wesson Model 15 in .357 Mag (1979-1990)
2--S&W Model 657 .41 Magnum (1990-1991)
3--Smith & Wesson 1006 (1991-1992)
4--TZ-88 in .41 Action Express (1992--Very briefly)
5--Delta Elite (1992-present--alternate home defense)
6--S&W Shorty .45 (1997-present--CCW)
7--CZ75B in .40 S&W (present--primary home defense)

So I count 7 in all over the past 22 years.

One gun is all it took for me to find out which gun was the right gun for me. To make a long story short, the first gun I ever fired was my cousin's Glock 17 with the uncheckered grips. He brought over 500 rounds of assorted 9mm ammo ,both factory and reloads (jacketed and lead bullets), and that gun digested all without a hiccup. That experience plus the fact that the gun's ergonomics fit my hands just fine convinced me that the Glock was ,and is, the perfect gun for me:D

The first gun I ever bought for myself was a Sig P239 in 9mm. Carried it for about three years, and absolutely loved it.

After working through my thought process a little, I decided that I really wanted a number of different guns that had the "same" trigger in them. I now own a Glock 21 (house) and a Glock 19 (carry) that both have 3.5 lb. triggers in them. I couldn't be happier.

Of my "list" (yes, I actually sat down and made one a few years ago), the only thing I have left to buy is a nice revolver in .357 magnum.

Just one: a Taurus Tracker, which was not too bad a gun, but the instruction manual said dry-firing would be bad for it, and I intended to do a lot of dry firing. So I took it back to the dealer and traded it for a Remington 870 Police Magnum.

I read on TFL that the Ruger instruction manual actually encourages unlimited dry firing, so I bought a LNIB KGP-141 that was offered for sale on TFL. The TFL member who sold me the KGP-141 also referred me to Jack Weigand, who ported for me the KGP-141, installed Ashley Outdoors combat sights, and did a precision action job on the trigger. After only a week of dry firing the Weigand enhanced GP-100, I completed CCW instruction with such tight groups hugging the X's on the silhouttes, that the instructor said I had to be "an experienced shooter". The credit goes to the gun, and the encouragement Ruger gave me to dry fire it night and day throughout the preceeding week.

Today, I got an e-mail from Jack Weigand saying that tomorrow he will ship my order for a KSP 321XL with ported barrel, Ashley Outdoors Big Dot Tritium front sight and a precision action job on the trigger.

Thanks to TFL and Jack Weigand, my 2nd and 3rd handguns (GP 100 and SP 101) are lifetime keepers.

I went through a Taurus PT92, Taurus M-608, and a S&W 457 before I finally found the Ruger P95. I do like some other pistols, like the Glock M19, but found that the Ruger fits my hand better than almost any other that I have handled, with the exception of the EAA Witness. The next pistol I would buy, or trade for, would be one of these, or the CZ 75.

All guns are the right gun for me:). Sure I will have a favorite, but they are all good, unless they are crappy. You know what I am talking about. EhemLorcinEhem.

About ten, but I'm not sure I have the right carry gun even today, though I have a Taurus 85, a Glock 26, and Kel-tec P32. Before I buy anything else I'm going to wait and see if Glock or Kahr comes out with a small polymer single stack.

But I have been married to same woman for 13 years!

For me,the search is never really over. I love the 1911,
although,I shoot others better. I shoot Glocks very well,
but it's plastic. I haven't been able to get past that. The
Sig's slide release and decocker are,for some reason,
awkward to me. Ruger's are a little bulky. I could go on
because I've tried everything. The point is,in my experience
I find good points in several,but not one that has it all.
If I weren't so stubborn I would just stick with a Glock.
Something about an American-made 1911 that always makes me
come back.

G19, G19, G19!

When I was younger my father bought me a Ruger Security Six. When I was old enough with the means, I researched somewhat and bought a Sig P226. It was reliable and accurate but a little too big for ccw IMHO. So I went and bought a Sig P228. Great little double action auto. Nice fit, reliable and accurate. When I started practicing more and taking some handgun courses, the double action first shot just never felt right. After checking out some more brands and models, I decided on the Glock 19. Simple, same trigger shot to shot, reliable, accurate, more rugged, and cost much less than Sigs. Some time later I had to sell the G19, but when I had the means again, I bought a G19. Oh, I forgot to mention the 9mm Firestar a friend gave to me when he found out I sold my first G19. Suprisingly good little pistol. Felt like a brick, never had a malfunction, built like a tank, excellent for being free. I would not doubt it ever surviving a shot with a squib in the barrel.

Beretta 96 -> HK USPC45 -> KelTec P11 for concealed carry :).

Thumb break belt slide -> Kydex IWB -> SmartCarry for holsters.

A Sig P228 with Crimson trace grips. If the mugger runs out-side when I'm chasing him I might just give him a heart attack if nothing else if he gets a "laser tag".

Back