How many handguns did you go through.......

Mr. Pub

....before you found THE right gun for you?

For a house gun I started out with a HK USP .40 full size

-didn't like the SA/DA trigger and it seemed a little too big.

Next was a Glock 23

-I had numerous failure to feed problems with it, I think the problem was a weak slide release spring that I may have messed up when I put a 3.5 lb. connector in. That was fixed when I restretched the spring. However, I came to dislike the trigger.

Finally a Walther P99 QA

- wide smooth trigger, quick action only (like a glock). Feels good with AGrip on it. And it has rails on it for a light.

Some people keep every gun they buy. I cycle through them. If I don't like it after 6 months I sell it.

I have other guns for other purposes, but this is the path I went through for a house gun.

Still Looking

I have found the perfect one several times, something else ALWAYS comes along.

Colt Commanding Officer's Model
Sig 226
Glock 27

I think my definition of what I need the perfect weapon for is what's changing.

I got luck on my first one. The Beretta 92 was a great pistol for me to start with. It is one of my home defense guns now. Of course, I have a different gun for CCW. And I have various .45 ACPs now. Finding the right gun really didn't keep me from buying more.
It really would be impossible to find the perfect gun for home and concealment use. Even for concealment, it will probably be 2 or 3 different guns for separate conditions.

I'm with you Mr. Pub... I have a gun for a specific task. If this gun fails to fulfill this task, it gets replaced. I currently have 5 handguns that fullfill different tasks, but I'll only cover the common ones.

For a House gun, I started with the Taurus PT101 (.40) then came the HK USP45... I attached the UTL and never looked back.

As for carry gun, that's a WAY different story.

It started with the Glock 27, (too fat). Then the Walther PPK/S (not dependable) then an AMT Backup 45 (what was I thinking?) then the Kahr K40 (getting closer, too heavy), and finally, the P9 (not too fat, not too heavy, dependable, etc). Now, if Kahr ever makes the Micro P9, or if Glock ever makes a slim-line .40, I may trade again. To be honest though, I'm fighting the urge to bump it up by 1mm and get the new P40, but I'm holding out so far.

Then there's the ALWAYS gun, which I've been without for some time, after ditching a Beretta Tip-Up .22. It's the Kel-Tec P32, and so far, it's doing fine...

I am missing a gun for a task though... I NEED a carry gun for when weather, dress, and situation allows me to carry pretty much anything I want (rare in GA).... Walther P99QA in .40???

I started out shooting an original Bisey Colt .32-20 WCF. When the Arny called me to active duty the Bisley was not what I wanted to carry into combat so I got an N frame .38'44 Heavy Duty and a .45 Colt Model 1911A1. Those were good choics and I still love S&W N frames and 1911A1s.

Still looking , whats the fun if you cant play . Seriuosly after years of playing the handgun feild I have settled on the following guns , favorite 1991 colt custom , glocks , browning hi-powers and I sorta like them funny little P-7 things .

A bunch.

TZs, Glocks, P35s, 1911s, Brownings, blah blah blah.

Tastes change. Last year I'd have said my Glock 21 was the gun for me; I've since sold all but one of my Glocks. Now I'm liking my Dan Wesson and Colt XS. Next year? Who knows, certainly not me...

2 9mm Combat Comanders 5 years apart, S&W 59, a Thomas, VP70, S&W 59, S&W 5944, Series 70 1911 45, Berreta 21 in 22lr, and more all long gone.

Still with me, S&W 39-2. Browning HiPower practical. Berreta 92G, Berreta 1935 (32), Browning 1955 380, Browning 1955 380 #2, still nib/unfired. Berreta 950 in 25 with 4" aftermarket bbl.

Of course autos only make up 'bout 15 percent of my handguns.

I've had so many handguns I don't think I could ever come up with the right count (it would take more fingers and toes than I got). ;) If I don't like them, I either trade them in or sell them. Those I like I keep. The pistol that I am most happy with at present is my CZ 97B (I love it). My other pistols I am also very happy with, but not to the extent of the CZ 97B........

still getting more for home and plain old shooting holes in stuff
the glock 21 is the one on my nightstand, and i dont see that changing any time soon
it's the best package of caliber, capacity, feel of grip, and it's the one that i can shoot the best, prolley cause ive shot it the most

The best thing in the world to do is rent the all.

Over the years I've saved a lot of money by just renting a nice gun for a couple runs.

If it performs, I put it on my list.

I still want to get a Kimber Compact 1911 and at least one AR-15.

Lot's of them...and probably will never stop. Right now I'm pretty content with a Kimber CDP, a Kimber Classic, a Browning High Power Practical, and a Makarov. I did learn that I prefer single action pistols, but I do regret trading my Berreta away and will probably add one to the collection again someday.

God, a bunch. Mostly 9x19mm Parabellun's of various stripes. I have pretty much setteled on the Makarov PM for general carry, and the Glock 30 for those times when a 9mm of any sort just may not be enough, like hiking in the deasert, going to the bad part of town, etc.

lets see... I started with 2 RG 22lr revolvers and a 38 RG
4", then a cobray m11/9, a helwan 951 9mm, a cheapy 22 saa
copy, a virginian dragoon .357 7.5" revolver, a balistar molina 45, series 80 combat comander 45, webley 45acp rev,
S&W 19 2.5" (now my dads), springfield P9 9mm, glock 20,
S&W 29, S&W 27 6.5" (kept it), sig 226 9mm two tone, glock 22 (I have one and have sold one), and I just got a early
LWC in .38 super but I,m keeping it. there are probably a few more I'm forgeting but it's been a bunch.

It's an endless journey.;) The one type of gun that has always been in my battery, no matter what else, is the J-frame.:D IIRC, the next in seniority is the Kahr E9 pistol. Thankfully, for me, there have been few guns sold or traded that I regret.:)

Back