How many cast their own?

I prefer shooting to casting or reloading. Casting is hugely time consuming, the equipment cost is considerable. I prefer buying cast, or plated bullets, and shooting them up.

OK I read alot about cast iron pots for melting down into ingots, would a cast aluminum canning pot be OK for the same? Melting point of aluminum is around 1200 and lead is lower.......

It will work for a little while, the problem with lead is at some point it will give up. Keep the heat low will make it last longer, at least till you find a cast iron pot/pan.

Definitely try to move to a cast iron pan as soon as possible. Although the melting point may be 1200°, the weakening point is much lower and it isn't nearly as strong at 750° as it is at the 212° range where it was intended to be used. Also, water doesn't place nearly as much strain (weight) on the overheated sides. (Water weighs about 8# a gallon and lead can weigh 95-113# a gallon)

Go to the castboolits website and do some reading.

I definitely disagree with Slamfire. For the cost of a cheap Lee pot, Lee 6 cav mold and handles (maybe a little over $100)you can make around 1500-2000 bullets in about 3 hours. How in the world is that expensive or time consuming?
It dont take long to pay itself off.

OK I read alot about cast iron pots for melting down into ingots, would a cast aluminum canning pot be OK for the same? Melting point of aluminum is around 1200 and lead is lower.......

Aluminum will work for a little while. However once that pot weakens and lets go it will be a large molten mess. I wouldn't chance it.

Casting

Be careful it can get addicting.I have 3 44 spl/mag molds ,3 for 45 acp/Colt,3 for 45-70 and 458 win mag,3 for 38/357,1 for 9mm/380 and a couple for black powder.If you do get into casting it will lead you to always search for the perfect load for whatever gun you are loading for.So be careful what you ask for.

I've been casting bullets for years. I find it very relaxing and a rewarding hobby. My cast bullets are more consistent than factory. I cull out any bullet that weighs more or less that my goal weight by .5 grain.

I also like getting the proper mold for my guns. I've used Lee, Lyman and RCBS but found LBT molds to be the best out of my revolvers. They are a little more expensive but give the best accuracy, in the line of 1 inch at 25 yards out of my S&W 627s.

I use a Star Sizer and LBT lite blue lube. Lube makes a big difference. Although to get started Lee Liquid Alox works fine.

I use to cast handgun bullets by the thousands but rarely cat for them anymore. I still do cast round ball for my muzzleloaders, however, by the thousand.

I cast a few now & then. It's all part of the sport unless you turn out like Beagle & then it's a lifestyle.

unless you turn out like Beagle & then it's a lifestyle.

Ain't that tha truth......:eek::eek:

I can't say I have a whole lot of room to talk though, I have plenty of boxes and pans of them sitting around waiting to be sized and loaded. I might even PC some of them, but they won't sit around looking pretty for long.:D

If you have a free lead supply....that's the biggest pro you can get .
A Lee electric pot , Lyman dipper , Cast Bullet Handbook and a 2 cavity Lee mould and you in business.

The only con is it can become an interesting lifelong hobby, you buy new and better moulds , sizer-lubricators and all sorts of neat and nifty tools for loading cast bullets.

I started in 1967 , my best friends Daddy had three tire shops and gave me all the free wheel weights I could carry. My friend and his Daddy are both retired from the tire business now so I have to scrounge for them.....but I'm still casting, loading and shooting.
Cast some wad-cutters for my 41 magnum Sunday....just try buying those .

Casting makes you the master of your bullet supply and I've always enjoyed that .

Gary

Back